Sponsored by:

There is a pool of oil under my car!

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 04:27 PM
Bill P.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default There is a pool of oil under my car!

I noticed that my '97TT has leaked approximately half a cup of oil (9"X20" area). I didn't see it until this morning.

I've been driving the car every 7-10 days, usually to work and back—a 25 mile round trip (pathetic, I know). That was the routine yesterday. I checked the parking spot I used at the office and no oil was present so it wasn't leaking after that part of my commute. There is no oil in my driveway so it looks like it began leaking after I shut it down yesterday after driving home.

The oil was pooled under the passenger side exhaust area. BTW, it was no longer leaking when I discovered it.

I wonder if it's a gasket issue. Punishment for not driving the car more often. I've got 40k miles on the car (32k put on over the 10 years I've owned it). It has not leaked a single drop until now (no engine tray).

Sooo, what do guys you think may have caused this?

Thanks!
Old 02-29-2012, 04:49 PM
dnmnm
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

No way to tell really without crawling underneath to trace the source. The last time I found oil drops on my garage floor I discovered that my son was availing himself of the parking space after I left for work in the morning...
Old 02-29-2012, 04:52 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

My first guess would be lower valve cover gaskets.

Did you recently add oil? Where do you keep your oil level? You are sure it's engine oil? Do you have UAW (or similiar) oil line check valves?
Old 02-29-2012, 04:54 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 334 Likes on 224 Posts

A) Have you recently had a oil change.. if you answered yes, go to the last paragraph.

B) Is the puddle directly under the turbocharger sump tank (offset) to the right of the engine? If yes, go to the last paragraph. If NO, you might have a blown oil filter seal.

C) Are you sure that it is engine oil vs power steering fluid?

D) On a rare situation you could have a turbocharger feed line failing at the braided portion of the line. The car would be smoking.

If you answered yes, to A or B, you most likely have a failed oil filter. Replace the filter and make sure that your oil level is down around the first mark.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:21 PM
Bill P.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys.

I was about to add a quart of oil so it was about a quart down (no recent oil change). The leak was on the right of the engine about 12-18 inches in front of the exhaust tip. I'm not sure that it isn't power steering fluid—hadn't really considered that. It felt like motor oil. No smoke.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:04 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,406 Likes on 814 Posts

steering oil is greenish and far thinner than motor oil. Hard to confuse.

as was mentioned, hard to tell without sliding under there to have a look.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:12 PM
Bill P.
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'll have to take it in. I tried to peek up under there and couldn't see anything. Drive it two miles today, cold, and it leaked maybe another table spoon or two from just behind where the exhaust tip is fastened to the exhaust.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:32 AM
RF
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is difficult to say without being under the car but I would also say lower valve cover or maybe the cam cover. Mine is leaking exactly like you describe and the leak was traced to the lower valve cover AND cam cover. Fun enough my car is in the shop today to have the valve and cam cover gaskets replaced and the covers themselves.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:21 AM
Bill P.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thank you all for the input. Much appreciated. I'll report back when isolated.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:38 PM
Bill P.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Update—turns out that it was hydraulic clutch fluid. The pressure hose and valve were bad and had to be ordered from Germany. I was told that there were only 8 left in the world which resulted in the parts costing $675.

Quick Reply: There is a pool of oil under my car!