993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on these 2 for sale

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012 | 09:39 PM
Bgoldey
Rennlist Member

If it was only a respray on the front hood why would the option sticker be removed? Was the hood replaced? If so, why? Looks like metalic trim around the windshield?
Old 02-04-2012 | 12:22 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Originally Posted by motobri
Seller said he has an offer for $55k.
He should take it knowing what he paid for it.
Even at $50 he's doing OK.
This is funny, I inquired about that car and told them I had a trade worth 55k. I passed, can't stand the interior.
Old 02-04-2012 | 10:14 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bergamasco
81k miles and plenty of hard use and it is already on its second clutch.
There is absolutely nothing odd about a car being on its second clutch with 81k miles.

My car had its clutch replaced at 45k miles. Depends on where the car was driven, how adept the driver was with the clutch, and yes, also how hard it was driven, but its not like thats unusual.
Old 02-05-2012 | 10:32 AM
77'3.6vram
Banned

Default Great deal for $55K

I bought a 96' Turbo in Auston, TX in 2005 for 55K clear tidal , three owner. It was the cheapest one in the country. Black/black 61k miles 14K plus bill for top-end/clutch/ 60k service by Beasly Porsche of Auston. The passenger side door was hit at low speed in a parking lot and repaired. The dealer did the PPI and said nothing. I saw the damaged door when I first saw the car. The 1300 mile drive to Miami was amazing. The car now belongs to my brother in LA. The car was damaged on the way out west by the trucking Co. A chain fell on the roof and they paid to have it fixed. It has been one of the best buys I have ever gotten. No major problems in the past 7 years. If I wanted a turbo to use as a daily driver I would buy it for 56-57k and never have to worry about it. The all black is by far the best wearing interior Porsche makes. The car is timeless and has been used as intended. Great buy.
Old 02-05-2012 | 02:39 PM
Bergamasco
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
There is absolutely nothing odd about a car being on its second clutch with 81k miles.

My car had its clutch replaced at 45k miles. Depends on where the car was driven, how adept the driver was with the clutch, and yes, also how hard it was driven, but its not like thats unusual.
I guess what you're really saying is that it is not unusual to find these cars driven very hard (ie track usage) and therefore it is natural that the clutch should be replaced. Perhaps where we might agree is when a very low mileage car - say under 20k mile vehicle needs its clutch replaced without having had track use. I agree with my indy that such would be a case of someone really not knowing how to drive.

Last edited by Bergamasco; 02-06-2012 at 12:24 AM.
Old 02-05-2012 | 04:35 PM
AC/911's
Banned

Default 993TT

Anyone here should know if you have more HP you need more clutch, I usually wear the old one out before replacing upgraded one,ya know take it down the quarter mile till it starts to slip LOL. If these cars were not at a dealer they'd be sold, $55k for a modified car that passes an inspection is a good deal already! By the way what's up with Global motor? Do they actually stock 1 car? They call me every time I advertise a car.
Old 02-07-2012 | 10:02 PM
SSTAR
Rennlist Member

Hey all. I'm sending the black car (NJ) for a PPI in the next few days. I'll be paying a lot of attention to the paintwork (front end respray is fine for me, entire car is another story), leakdown and the other odds and ends. Clutch doesn't bother me. Likely having Protosport take a look unless anybody has a war story or another strong rec.

Will keep everybody posted. The seller has been bluffing about the other offers all along. Used car salesman spiel... Caveat Emptor

Last edited by SSTAR; 02-07-2012 at 10:03 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-07-2012 | 10:04 PM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

No wonder I can't get an answer from them

Good luck !
Old 02-07-2012 | 11:30 PM
ohenryinatlanta
Racer

i previously owned this car with a partner. it shows very nice and to my knowledge it has never been tracked. had a lwt flywheel - kevlar clutch put in 40-50k mile range.

majority of the commentary here is BS.

paint is very nice. get it inspected. would make a great car to drive w/o mileage concerns. wicked fast.
Old 02-08-2012 | 01:16 AM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Quadcammer

This is probably the first thing that you have posted that i would agree with. Seriously. Not a truer word spoken.

And - track use - doesnt equate to clutch use. City driving / stop start is way tougher on a clutch on a day to day basis. If its got BIIIIG HP thats a different story.
Old 02-08-2012 | 12:40 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Being a contrarian, I'll argue that big HP does NOT equate to higher clutch wear. This assumes that you have enough clamping pressure so the clutch doesn't slip from the extra torque.

Clutch wear occurs when the clutch is "slipped". This most often occurs when starting from a standstill. The trick for minimizing clutch wear is to engage the clutch as quickly as possible with minimum throttle. A engine that delivers lots of torque actually makes this job easier than a car with little torque. With litle torque, you must add more revs to keep the car from stalling. Once underway, upshifts and downshifts ask very little from the clutch, if done with any reasonable care.

This of course does not consider the affect of drag racing starts. And please.... never slip the clutch to hold a car steady while waiting at an uphill stop. That will MURDER a clutch.
Old 02-08-2012 | 03:59 PM
SSTAR
Rennlist Member

I agree that HP doesn't equal clutch wear. Its all about how much slip there is on starts (heavy load starts in particular) or odd shifts. I've had low power cars go through clutches in 30k with a lot of hard launches and powerful cars get 80-100k on the original clutch.

The sequential transmissions are horrible on clutches because there is usually a lot of slip on starts and rolling starts. I've seen the early F1 Ferraris go through clutches under 20k miles.
Old 02-10-2012 | 12:17 PM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

Did you get the PPI done yet????
Old 02-10-2012 | 12:29 PM
Norske
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SSTAR
Hey all. I'm sending the black car (NJ) for a PPI in the next few days. I'll be paying a lot of attention to the paintwork (front end respray is fine for me, entire car is another story), leakdown and the other odds and ends. Clutch doesn't bother me. Likely having Protosport take a look unless anybody has a war story or another strong rec.

Will keep everybody posted. The seller has been bluffing about the other offers all along. Used car salesman spiel... Caveat Emptor
Protosport built my engine in 2002. I have nothing but good things to say.
Old 02-10-2012 | 01:01 PM
SSTAR
Rennlist Member

Quick update. Protosport was great and thorough.

I'll be passing on the black car. I am sure it will be a nice car for somebody but not what I am looking for right now. If anybody wants more info, happy to share it. Just send over a PM.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on these 2 for sale