Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 993TT For sale from Ruf Auto Centre $49K

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...05&aff=aybsema
Old 08-29-2011, 12:20 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I thought the guys in Texas stopped using the RUF name????
Old 08-29-2011, 06:15 PM
techsis
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another link, but no pics yet:

http://www.ecarlist.com/cgi-bin/show...92464&d_id=947
Old 08-29-2011, 06:17 PM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 344 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
I thought the guys in Texas stopped using the RUF name????
Officially they did, but you know what they say about old habits. I still call them Ruf, probably always will.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:29 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Do not go there. I dug into this one, its smells fishy. Minimal invoices, questionable responses ("yes, we are replacing the carpets because they are dirty" - sure, a car fax indicating possible bad mileage and LOTS of owners.... unless you are willing to take the risk, but I wasn't. The engine had a bent valve so they did the top end - great but that usually means an over-rev - and that could spell mucho-trouble later.

Things that are too good to be true often are. :- Who is willing to risk $48K?

Cheers,

Mike
Old 08-30-2011, 09:16 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 155 Posts

Anxious to see pics...bent valves though? Yikes...
Old 08-30-2011, 01:00 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by slownrusty
Anxious to see pics...bent valves though? Yikes...
I think it was one bent valve - to do that requires major abuse to the engine, or something broke leaving the valve open. Not sure of the core cause. However, if its because of an over-rev, the rod bolts are known to stretch when really pushed this hard, and that would worry me - since they might get loose several thousand miles after the incident (this may be different for the turbos than the NA cars, not sure).

I have some very coarse pictures, guards red with grey interior, SUV heigh suspension.

The biggest thing for me is the indicators that water got into the tub - replacement of immobilizer and alarm control relays, carpet replacement, etc. While I was not told that directly, there are signs - hence the "fishy" comment.

I am good with a wrench, and am willing to work on a car if the price is right to begin with, but I just did not like how this one is presented to me - there could be more story behind it that we do not know.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 08-31-2011, 10:15 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 597 Posts

The guys at RAC aren't the type of guys to try and wash a tainted title or buff a turd. If you are interested there is a very sharp Porsche mechanic at Boardwalk in Dallas that can look over that car. His name is John Gladwell
Old 09-01-2011, 03:10 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Not so sure about that, the sales guys was not very forthcoming with information. For example, he said that the carpets were dirty so they are replacing them - but the receipts and parts they are replacing look like water damage.

if they come right out front and say "Ok, we priced this car at xxx because it appears to have sustained water damage and engine damage. We have replace and repaired everything, and its all in good working oder, but we felt we needed to be forthcoming with the information" that would be a completely different discussion. But for me they did not do that, and that is what pisses me off.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 09-01-2011, 09:44 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 597 Posts

Mike some of the local guys contacted me about that car raising the same concerns. That is very disappointing to hear. There are two guys in Texas I would contact to check out cars - John Gladwell in Dallas, and Viking Sjovall in Houston. Both have decades of experience with Porsches and do a particularly good job finding the rotten eggs and histories of the vehicles. John works at Boardwalk Porsche and has access to all the service records. Viking used to be the service manager of Advantage Porsche in Houston. He has checked out no less than a dozen cars for me in my quest to buy a 944 turbo (track car platform), a nice 993tt (drove up with me to Dallas to inspect my current 993tt), and a Boxster S (track car platform). I can help you get in contact with either of them if and when desired.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:51 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Great to know, thanks!!
Old 09-09-2011, 12:58 PM
Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
I think it was one bent valve - to do that requires major abuse to the engine, or something broke leaving the valve open. Not sure of the core cause. However, if its because of an over-rev, the rod bolts are known to stretch when really pushed this hard, and that would worry me - since they might get loose several thousand miles after the incident (this may be different for the turbos than the NA cars, not sure).

The biggest thing for me is the indicators that water got into the tub - replacement of immobilizer and alarm control relays, carpet replacement, etc. While I was not told that directly, there are signs - hence the "fishy" comment.

Cheers,

Mike
One other potential for the engine problem: the water in the tub could mean in the engine, then 'hydro lock' then bent valve. Just a thought.

Good to have the 'alerts' out on this forum.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:37 PM
x98boardwell
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

When I see "replacing carpeting because it was dirty" makes me instantly think Hurricane Katrina or some other natural disaster that this car somehow became a part. Would scare me away as well. I agree with MikeJ about if they were honest up front it may help them sell once the buyer feels comfortable about what he knows and doesn't know about the car.

My .02

Regards,
Bryan
Old 09-19-2011, 03:34 PM
bill930p
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I talked to them about this car a couple weeks back. They told me that the car was flooded inside, thus they had to replace the alarm ECU. Didn't mention anything about the carpet or the motor.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:05 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

looks nice though, someone not on here would certainly buy it at that price....should be sold soon...

Quick Reply: 993TT For sale from Ruf Auto Centre $49K