Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you get a good Turbo for less than $60K?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011 | 09:20 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default Can you get a good Turbo for less than $60K?

Hey, I am not the richest of guys (well, its more of a matter of priorities actually, retirement planning comes first!), and my budget for a 993 Turbo would, if really stretched, hit $60K, but mid fifties is much more comfortable. That said, I would really like to have one.

The car I would be looking for would be used for daily driving in the summer, some driving in the spring/fall, and garaged in the winter. Not much track time, but perhaps a bit. I only do about 4K-7K miles/years (from the last 15 years of records...LOL!) so I would not rack up too much miles....hopefully that average would go up.

You guys know I am good with a wrench, but often a significant portion of the cost is the parts - so that avenue would have to be a really good deal to make it worth it.

So what are my options? The pristine very-low mileage examples are out, that is just silly money. The 30K to 50K mile cars seem to be around mid-sixties upwards, which may be just in reach if they are willing to negotiate down to $60K (which I have not seen). Talking to people, they seem to go for above $60K.

One of the reasons $60K is because, to bring a car up from US, there are little items such as 6.1% duty, paperwork, shipping, and the currency exchange. That varies wildly, so its even hard to comment about what that impact could be on the delivered price, but its likely not that good. I also stuggle a bit on spending over $60K on a car that is 15 years old...

That usually leaves cars with some sort of story. I would like to avoid cars with boost controllers, chips, engine modifications, etc. and other signs where the stock 400HP was just not enough - I just do not want to go there. So that leaves "higher mileage" cars in the 50K-$70K region where wear items like turbos, etc. seem to start to fail.

I like cars with tasteful external modifications, like suspension, wheels, exhaust - those I can see value in.

You hear stories about how guys picked up a pristine 993 Turbo for $45K and its been running for five years now with just oil changes - that would never happen to me. I would spend $57K on what I thought was a deal, and end up spending another $20k fixing the $#)(*$ thing.

Anyways, what do you guys think? I can buy in the middle of the winter, or wait until spring if that is a strategy. Its talking budget and 993 Turbo in the same sentence nuts?

Anyone out there got a deal for me?

Cheers,

Mike
Old 08-19-2011 | 10:07 PM
Spidey 993

Hey Mike,

I hear you are pretty good with a wrench , but sounds like your due for no hassle car. Time for some positive karma payback for all the cars you've worked on pro bono.

What about dfwporsche car? Arena Red, grey interior, 60k miles, HB seats, Ruf wheels, PSS9, just had a $6k service done. He is in that low 60's area. He has another thread on here considering possibly selling the Ruf wheels or HB seperate to lower the price point. Creative thinker and a heck of a nice guy to boot.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=97793

Old 08-19-2011 | 11:54 PM
993 770
Pro

Mike, there are good cars out there, but no way of knowing what it's going to cost you down the line. I picked up my car recently for less than 60, it has 50k on it, great results on the ppi, and so far, so good... But I'm only 2 months in! The hunt is the fun part, just keep your eyes open. It took me almost 2 years of looking until I found the color combo/options/price range I was looking for. I almost went for a c4s back in march, but the seller sold it to someone who didn't want a ppi. even though I was upset at the time, I'm so glad it went down that way! Good luck and enjoy the search. It's out there!
Old 08-20-2011 | 02:19 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks for the replies guys! I will keep my eyes out, and I need to make the emotional move and sell my car first. Lots of ties to that car (and sweat), but moving onto a car such as the TT would be such a gas (pun intended)!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 08-20-2011 | 04:59 AM
parsonii
Racer

you'll find one for less than 60. hang tight and besides the canadian dollar is still marching along. i bought my car for 59k and it has 47k miles on it. black on black with hard back sport seats with the inside looking new. anyway that was 18 months ago and since then i've put 20k in it .... but it's way better now.
Old 08-20-2011 | 09:56 AM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Of course! It will just have higher mileage which is nothing to be worried about at all.
Old 08-20-2011 | 10:09 AM
gruppe75
Racer

I can buy in the middle of the winter, or wait until spring if that is a strategy
I bought mine in the late fall, the previous owner didn't want to garage it over the winter months. I think most tt owners wait to advertise during the spring and summer months, and the serious sellers will advertise during the winter months as well. So bargains can be had during the winter, though I don't think there will a very large selection.
Also the sales tax (12%) is a huge hit.
Good luck with your search
Old 08-20-2011 | 11:14 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike J
You guys know I am good with a wrench, but often a significant portion of the cost is the parts - so that avenue would have to be a really good deal to make it worth it.
Mike, I think you'll be able to do it, because of your statement above. It will take time. Be patient.
Old 08-20-2011 | 12:45 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

I made the same thread 2 years ago, and the answer is yes.

I bought my car with 66k miles for low 50s. The car is a driver and it wasn't perfect like a lot of rennlist cars. However, I haven't spent a silly amount, and to me, the car is now in very good shape for its 81k miles. It also came with some nice mods like 996 turbo wheels, euro bumpers, bilsteins/m030s, sway bars, diverter valves, muffler bypasses, and sport steering wheel.

Its part luck, part searching, and part willing to accept imperfection.
Old 08-24-2011 | 09:39 AM
gruppe75
Racer

Hey Mike
Here is a car that may interest you. Located in Montreal.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...item35b48bce41
The ad says it is an automatic but the pictures show a manual tranny. Looks like it being sold with no reserve.
Old 08-24-2011 | 12:23 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks! I saw that one already, but I stalled on the inside color....its quite strong and I am not sure it for me. It also looks like I would have to drop some $$ into the suspension, etc. However, being in Canada, it does make things quite a bit easier.

There are a few other ones in Canada as well, and one close to home in Victoria.

When I thought about it there seems to be four groupings of cars, all with different overhead costs.
  • Canadian cars close enough to drive home
  • Canadian cars that need to be shipped
  • US cars that can be driven to Vancouver
  • US cars that need to be shipped

Funnily enough, because our currency is about par right now, and allowing for the import duties, exchange, transfer fees, HST tax credits (if going through a canadian dealer), etc. the multiplier between buying in Canada and the US is about .9 right now. The ratio between purchasing a US or Canadian car varies depending on the currency exchange and shipping. This means it will cost me exactly the same if I purchase a car locally in Canada for $60,000 CDN, or a US car that need to be shipped for (60,000*.9) = $54,000 US. (PM me if you want the details - there are HST credits and the associated costs + shipping in there as well).

Cheers,

Mike
Old 08-24-2011 | 12:32 PM
Nooch
Racer

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-for-sale.html

The above thread concerns the car in Montreal..............nuff said.
Old 08-24-2011 | 02:02 PM
bugkiller930
Instructor

Originally Posted by trinaia
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-for-sale.html

The above thread concerns the car in Montreal..............nuff said.
The mileage went backward since 1 year ago. 67000km on 10/2010 now 63000km in 8/2011 But it is a nice color combo with sport seat.

Quick Reply: Can you get a good Turbo for less than $60K?