Sponsored by:

Help on a highly modified TT

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 11:14 PM
dfwporsche
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Help on a highly modified TT

Yes - I know. I'm currently selling a TT and now I'm asking for help on another. Again - my story is I love these cars. Just want the RUF R type horsepower. Here
is an interesting example - let me know if you guys approve.

From a color perspective - I'm a big fan of Arena red followed by Black so I'm a fan of the color here (I now some aren't).

Some details:
Guy has had it for 10 years. About 5800 miles since the upgrades were done. Set to 1.1 Bar of boost and has a dyno sheet for about 500 HP at that level. Seems very decent to me but would love all the usual opinions by the experts.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_760wt_1166
Old 07-05-2011, 11:23 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 542 Likes on 409 Posts

what is with the chrome wheels? and aren't they from a 996?
interior looks pretty worn. I thought the fvd intercooler is not an improvement over stock.
otherwise looks good. I also would like a 3.8. for a 3.8 and gt2 turbos shouldn't it have more than 500 hp?
Old 07-05-2011, 11:30 PM
dfwporsche
Racer

Originally Posted by Turbodan
interior looks pretty worn. I thought the fvd intercooler is not an improvement over stock.
otherwise looks good. I also would like a 3.8. for a 3.8 and gt2 turbos shouldn't it have more than 500 hp?
Yea. I hate the wheels but will swap them for the 18" RUF's on my current car. I have also heard you cant do much better than stock on the intercoolers but would be curious to hear if others agree. My guess is HP goes up with boost but others may know better. Given the ARP upgrades maybe this car is good to run at 1.2 or 1.3?
Old 07-05-2011, 11:35 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

The car looks great, and most folks really like midnight blue... I know I do.

I would not try and buy this at auction... you MUST get a PPI. Contact the owner and see what you can learn. The ad says "sports seats", but I am not sure that those are. I simply am not sure.

Let us know what you learn.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:38 PM
dfwporsche
Racer

Originally Posted by ca993twin
The car looks great, and most folks really like midnight blue... I know I do.

I would not try and buy this at auction... you MUST get a PPI. Contact the owner and see what you can learn. The ad says "sports seats", but I am not sure that those are. I simply am not sure.

Let us know what you learn.
Thanks. The car says black on black online. Did you see midnight blue anywhere?
Old 07-05-2011, 11:39 PM
dfwporsche
Racer

Originally Posted by Turbodan
I found this online for FVD intercooler:
http://www.993tt.com/EngineModificat...9/Default.aspx

Seems decent?
Old 07-05-2011, 11:52 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dfwporsche
Thanks. The car says black on black online. Did you see midnight blue anywhere?
Its my old eyeballs and the slightly blue tint in the main photo.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:56 PM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The ad says "sports seats", but I am not sure that those are.
Steve's right, they are not sport seats.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:03 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 106 Posts

If this is the car that you want and you can get it at the right price, first thing to do is get a thorough leak down and compression test done, if it passes, go straight to someone who can replace that ECU with a Motronic and take it back to a MAF setup if it has been changed with the Autronic, or try to convince FVD to sell you one of their Motronic twin plug customized programs.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:10 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

500 BHP to the wheels?
Old 07-06-2011, 01:20 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Unless you live near the tuner who built this motor, it may be difficult to keep sorted. I know some people who use Autronic engine management but it is not common for 993tt's. None of the usual tuners who you hear about here use it AFAIK and I'm not sure there are any rennlist cars with this set up. I'm sure we'll hear if I'm wrong. With regards to the intercooler, there's a number of threads about the fvd/tpc intercooler comparisons with stock - to make a long story short, the only intercoolers that has been shown to be an improvement over stock for the 993tt are the secan and marston core ones.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:13 AM
parsonii
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for the right price and a good ppi, i like the car. those are sport seats .. not hardback sport seats. zero chance that it's 500 hp to the wheel.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:12 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

I wouldn't get hung up on the FVD intercooler, it may not be better than stock but it probably isn't much worse.....

The Autotronic is the problem IMO. The factory Bosch Motronic has very good knock control system which precisely controls any knock onset by altering ignition and boost, the problem with the aftermarket stuff is that it wont do this or at least nothing like as well.
If the knock doesn't destroy the engine in one kaboom then it will at least gradually break it, piston damage, heads warping, cylinder liners ovaling etc....

If what Jean says is feasible then the motor looks a reasonable prospect but even with an FVD ECU it is a bit hit and miss since we don't know which turbos it is running etc but it will probably run
Old 07-06-2011, 07:41 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 106 Posts

TB makes a good point about the turbos and the FVD programming, it will not be optimal. Not many other options in the US to get a custom Motronic variable boost engine.. You have a few options for fixed boost Motronic though, that would work very well too.

With respect to MAF, it is not a difficult change in case it has been converted to pressure sensing.

Not saying Autronic is not good, key is factory knock sensing capability as mentioned, I would not go without it for peace of mind, others might however

TB your 7GT2 makes mine look like a pussycat
Old 07-06-2011, 09:28 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 156 Posts

"Race Spec Valve Job"...oh boy...

Quick Reply: Help on a highly modified TT