Sponsored by:

Which wax is best?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 01:03 AM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I'm sorry, but I completely disagree. Paint is not nourished, nor does one provide it nutrients.

Please provide a link to a meguiars product that said it contains "emollients" and provides nutrients to paint.

Yes, you can add oils on top of paint...hell they do a reasonable job of making it shiny. Add that glaze you use, and you get a bunch of oils and fillers to cover up scratches.

Correct the paint with the appropriate polish...apply wax over the top...done.

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sho...=define+polish

Nothing about nutrients in this description of polish by meguiars.

Nutrients in the product descriptions are simply a way to sell this product to the unknowledgeable.
QC
I tried to be collegial but your just another internet expert with a key board.

If you look at paint under a scope you'll see that UV will cause masive drying and a paint will look like the grand canyon. After polishing it will dimish the surface irregulaities and add luster and lubricating oils.
You'll see this most often in the dryer climates of the southwest with low humidity. Solution work the paint with a fine polish.

Meguers was bought by 3m and their professional line has been basiclly discontinued.
But props for checking it out. Not all the answers are on the internet.
Old 07-02-2011, 03:08 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

I checked with a Porsche consultant, and long time Posche owner, and an ex-PPG auto paint engineer. Apparently paint nourishment is nonsense. It's impermeable. Also they say use a polymer on dark colours for the shine and carnauba on light colours for depth. Polymer lasts way longer.
Old 07-02-2011, 03:13 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ronnie993tt
Also they say use a polymer on dark colours for the shine and carnauba on light colours for depth. Polymer lasts way longer.
I'd imagine carnauba "melts" within hours, on a dark car (like black) in the sun.
But it sure smells good, easy to use, and is shiny.
Old 07-02-2011, 03:29 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,372 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by JJayB
QC
I tried to be collegial but your just another internet expert with a key board.

If you look at paint under a scope you'll see that UV will cause masive drying and a paint will look like the grand canyon. After polishing it will dimish the surface irregulaities and add luster and lubricating oils.
You'll see this most often in the dryer climates of the southwest with low humidity. Solution work the paint with a fine polish.

Meguers was bought by 3m and their professional line has been basiclly discontinued.
But props for checking it out. Not all the answers are on the internet.
lubricating oils? What are they lubricating?

I'm sorry man, you can slap all the oils you want on top of the paint, and it might end up in those scratches, but there is no nourishment.
Old 07-02-2011, 04:59 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Yes, but does Oil of Olay work?
Old 07-03-2011, 12:47 PM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

QC
cell phone pic
From Meguiars professional products label which you couldn't find. "Replenishes essential oils paint loses through oxidation".
Attached Images  
Old 07-04-2011, 05:22 AM
Stewart
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Votes for Zymol seem to be few and far between. I've been (generously) given a tub of Zymol Destiny wax, but have been reluctant to start using it to date because I found out how much it cost (it probably deserves more preparation time and effort to justify using it than I have). Going by sentiment that some folks have, it seeems that I should throw this away and use some thing else. I've used both Meguiars and Race Glaze carnuba wax/polish to date with good results.
Ps. I can never remember what's polish and what's wax.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:10 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Originally Posted by Stewart
Ps. I can never remember what's polish and what's wax.
Stewart, polish is for prep (the "p's" go together) and the final coat is a wax (like a carnauba) or sealant (like RejeX).

The polishing is preparing the surface to accept the wax/sealant. Making it optically "perfect" for maximum light reflection (shine). The final coat either a wax (a natural product) or a sealant (synthetic product) is for protection and building depth within the shine.

This is my understaning as a weekend hack and a Concours winner.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:16 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

QC
cell phone pic
From Meguiars professional products label which you couldn't find. "Replenishes essential oils paint loses through oxidation".
Hey Jay, I am not making a decision or statement either way regarding Meguiars claim or product performance. But when I see colorful words like "replenishes" and "essential oils", I just figure the Marketing guys got ahold of the the package design for some final wordsmithing. As to be expected.

A +3 page thread about waxing in the 993 Turbo Forum? I thought only the 993 N/A guys did that!
Old 07-04-2011, 01:11 PM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Hey Jay, I am not making a decision or statement either way regarding Meguiars claim or product performance. But when I see colorful words like "replenishes" and "essential oils," I just figure the Marketing guys got ahold of the package design for some final wordsmithing. As to be expected.

A +3 page thread about waxing in the 993 Turbo Forum? I thought only the 993 N/A guys did that!
NoH2o,
Being skeptical as to marketing claims is fine and we should be in dealing with our treasures, but when the information being presented is from a primary source that has first hand experience the weight of the evidence should be more persuasive as its fact based not conjecture.

My posts have always been from primary sources which means if I haven't done it or seen it, I don't post it. If you read it on the internet and post it's not primary its secondary which is much of the opinion on these boards.

My detailing experience grew out of my racing as my friends and I grew tired of the mediocre products and so called experts trying to get our cars in the best possible condition for not only racing but for shows. So three of us went to detailing school and then to advanced courses which was about 8 years ago.

I would concur that most of the car care products in the retail stores have to be idiot proof and marketed in that vein and not really good. You'll note that the Meguiars label I posted is the professional line which is not available at Pep Boys, so the users are more skilled and less prone to marketing hype.

Back to best wax, the winning Ferrari Dino at a recent Ferrari show uses Meguiars Tech Wax. I've tired it and it's ok but i've had better results with real Zymol titanium for black cars. The results of any one wax depends on the paint prep before the wax.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:23 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,372 Likes on 794 Posts

ok, time to get through the crap.

What are these "essential oils" that re being lost? Palm oil? canola oil? evoo?

Like I said, you can add oil to the top of the paint that will cover up oxidation, but to remove it, you must use abrasives.

Glaze is a cover up...period
Old 07-04-2011, 07:02 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

QC
cell phone pic
The label is "marketing" not reality. I believe the guys in the business.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:47 PM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=Quadcammer;8686306]ok, time to get through the crap.

Like I said, you can add oil to the top of the paint that will cover up oxidation, but to remove it, you must use abrasives.

There are a number of polishes without abrasives that use a chemical action to remove oxidation. Like you didn't say.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:47 PM
justin993
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Quick Reply: Which wax is best?