Sponsored by:

Which wax is best?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 09:45 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 259 Likes on 174 Posts
Question Which wax is best?

...for a Black Metallic 993tt? I think I'm interested in ease of application and durability but if you think one looks best, please let me know. Thanks a bunch.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:10 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,375 Likes on 795 Posts

I could never tell a huge difference. I've used everything from super expensive zymol, to zaino, to cheap zymol, to mothers, meguiars, etc.

I used to be a big fan of meguiars 26 professional, which is cheap, easy to apply, and looks good. It doesn't have the best durability, so I tried the meguiars ultimate liquid wax.

Super easy to apply, doesn't stain trim, and generally lasts a good while. Relatively cheap too.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:37 AM
Michael-Dallas
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I like Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax for garage queens, Meguiar's ColorX for daily drivers.

Michael.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:27 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 211 Posts

For the Porsches I use Griot's Best of Show Wax. For daily drivers One Grand Blitz Carnauba Wax.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:03 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I realy like using the RejeX Wax the past couple years. Prior to that, I had great success with Zaino's products. Still use Zaino Z10 on the leather.

Recently I tried Detailer's Domaine (Phil) quick detailer spray from Adam's. Very nice stuff between the full detail process. Very easy to use. Smells great. Supper slick finish. Awesome shine.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:16 AM
BLT4SPD
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want durable and easy to apply, you’ll need to stick with the synthetic waxes. I was using Zaino and it’s a GREAT product, but personally, I have finally settled on the Einszett line-up of polishes and waxes. I just thought I was getting a little better value out of Einszett. Everything from the wife’s minivan to the 356 gets it. It can be bought from Autohaus, so I just order it when I have some other stuff coming and I get free shipping.

Plus, it’s made in Germany, so it HAS to be good…..right….right…..

http://www.1z-usa.com/einszett_car_wax.html
Attached Images  
Old 06-28-2011, 11:37 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Not sure there's really a 'best', it seams that I change waxes every once in a while. The ones that require more elbow grease must be better - no? Like the synthetics, Zaino's pretty good and they have a good write up on how to wax/towels to use/direction to wax etc. which is fun.

The absolute easiest to apply with good results is 'top coat' www.ducora.com
Steve ca993tt had a thread on the stuff a while back. If 'best' means great results with minimal effort, this is the stuff. They have a pic of my car under testimonials so it has to be good. But after a while I have started to miss the buffing a bit and have layered some Victoria car wax on top... www.victoriawax.com which is pretty good too!
Old 06-28-2011, 02:50 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 259 Likes on 174 Posts

Thanks a bunch for all the input Guys. Only got one response on the concours thread and it recommended Pinnacle Souveran. Sounds like most products are pretty good but I tried Maguiars cleaner wax (a freebie) and found it kinda dull though it looked much better after a shot of Maguiars Quick Detailer. Some of the long-time Porsche guys here swear by the inexpensive liquid Zymol because it's easy to apply and apparently lasts. I know some of the detailers here use it too. Seems the concours types really like P21S, if you're willing to put a bit of work in, and World's Best Wax. I'd like to try the better stuff first.

Danny made it easy making a selection from all of these recommendations, offerring up some of his product, so I'm going to try a few patches and report back. I'll be trying P21S and Topcoat.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:10 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Regardless of what wax and sealant you decide use for the final top coat, it's all about the preperation prior to that stage. Namely getting rid of any swirls and proper paint correction.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:16 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

As a quick option the Eagle One Nannowax works great, is clear and does not whiten your rubber or black trim. In fact you can use it on the balck trim and rubber. Great for a quick wax if time is limited.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:37 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,375 Likes on 795 Posts

P21S looks nice and is easy to apply, but the durability is absolutely minimal, so make sure you put a polymer under it.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:37 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Personally I hate spending time on waxing. between the weather and sun having to be perfect, wife, kids, clients, other ****.....I just wish there was something to "spray" on the car (after washing it of course) and not have to wipe off . Is there such a thing ?
Old 06-28-2011, 09:03 PM
ryano
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have used very expensive waxes as well and I have to tell you I have had the best luck with meguiars gold class carnuba.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:14 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Parnelli
Personally I hate spending time on waxing.
I can understand your position... However, I love waxing my cars (& floor). I find it therapeutic. I just spent most of the day detailing the BMW. But then I like landscaping too!
Old 06-29-2011, 01:20 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Parnelli
Personally I hate spending time on waxing. between the weather and sun having to be perfect, wife, kids, clients, other ****.....I just wish there was something to "spray" on the car (after washing it of course) and not have to wipe off . Is there such a thing ?
I've tried Zaino ZCS clear seal, it works okay, kind of boring to use... just 'wipe it on and walk away' is what they say. www.zainostore.com , it does occasionally leaves some streaks but dead easy to use.

Quick Reply: Which wax is best?