Sponsored by:

Help needed: emission testing in IL

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 05:49 PM
ab2010
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help needed: emission testing in IL

This will be my first time taking my 993 TT (stock other than chip) in for an emission test and I'd like to avoid getting the car damaged.

Does anyone have any advice on a) where to take the car near Chicago, IL and b) what to watch out for/what to do?

Thanks!
Old 06-26-2011, 10:06 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I did mine for the first time last year. Went to the location in/near Mt. Prospect. No big deal. Takes about one minutes. I can understand your concern. I felt the same way too. There is no dyno or anything crazy. IIRC, they look at the VIN, plate number and hook up to the Turbo's computer.

The tech told me to stand in the little room off to the side, and I said "no". I stood right there and watched his every move. He was not too happy. I warned him not to touch any parts of the car, except the door handle, and I made sure he did not open the door too wide, because the testing quarters are pretty slim.

You'll be fine. My car is pretty stock, except for the bypass. I was concerned about being nicked for too loud exhaust, but I don't think they get involved in this stuff.

Make sure the Turbo is fully up to operating temps.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:07 PM
Woosah
Intermediate

You'll be fine. I've brought mine to the air team numerous times without any damage (My car is lowered on Pss9). The air team longer performs the dyno test. All they do is hook up a data reader and an exhaust sensor to your car. In 2 minutes it will all be over.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:46 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

I wouldn't recommend that you car be tested on the dyno. The rollers have to be mechanically linked and most AREN'T.. It will knock out your 4WD viscous hub/coupling.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:06 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Like NoHtwO said its quick and painless since they only hook it up to the OBDII port and turn the key to make sure the check engine light is not disengaged. DO NOT wait in that room, tell the guy you are going to stand right there and do not let them tell you have can't be there.

Good luck!
Old 06-27-2011, 09:50 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 274 Likes on 183 Posts

They do a 2 speed static test up here on awd cars. If that'll do down there, it's no sweat and can be done by any shop. Just did mine and it came back all "0s". They're pretty clean cars.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:49 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Spartan
DO NOT wait in that room, tell the guy you are going to stand right there and do not let them tell you have can't be there.

Good luck!

Exactly!!!!! When I was watching the Tech perform the test on cars in front of me, he was touching the door frames, holding the glass windows, using the windshields as a writting surface, sitting half in the car and half out of the car on top of the seat bolsters. I was freaking out!

I was very polite & respectful, but I was also very firm that I was going to stand right by the car, and not to touch anything that was not a door handle.

I also made sure his clothes were clean, or else I was out of there.....on boost!
Old 06-30-2011, 11:32 PM
ab2010
Rennlist Member

Thanks everyone. That gives me a little more peace of mind. I second the hands-off policy. No groping her for sure!

Quick Reply: Help needed: emission testing in IL