Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

phatblackie (not for the purists)

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 02:00 AM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I decided to sell Blackie it was important that the new owner was of the same mind set as I wanted the DNA and development to continue. So with the help of the prison psychiatrist we devised a list of questions to qualify the buyer.

Question 1. Do you like corvette's? A positive response would tell me that a fat chic could possibly be riding in blackie. No sale.

Question 2. Do you know what an SR-71 is? A "no" means a possible fender polisher who pets their cars. Every racer knows what an SR-71 is.

Question 3. What lie will you tell your wife to buy this car? Answer: I don't have to lie to my wife to buy this car!
Lie,lie, lie...No sale.

Question 4. Do you own a Brinks truck? Is it full? And that's how Brian got Blackie.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:55 AM
wagongotya
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

LOL
Old 07-01-2011, 11:00 AM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

So Brian, what lies did you tell T?
Old 07-01-2011, 12:33 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Brian must be as gifted a liar as me.
I managed to convince my wife that selling a perfectly good 1996 TT to get an essentially identical car (in her eyes) made financial sense.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:50 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottMellor
I managed to convince my wife that selling a perfectly good 1996 TT to get an essentially identical car (in her eyes) made financial sense.
To pass the wife test a GT2 conversion is really just a saftey conversion that adds wheel bumpers to make it MUCH safer. Safer is the key word here

Likewise engine rebuilds are also just very special oil changes that take a long time
Old 07-01-2011, 02:04 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JJayB
When I decided to sell Blackie it was important that the new owner was of the same mind set as I wanted the DNA and development to continue. So with the help of the prison psychiatrist we devised a list of questions to qualify the buyer.

Question 1. Do you like corvette's? A positive response would tell me that a fat chic could possibly be riding in blackie. No sale.

Question 2. Do you know what an SR-71 is? A "no" means a possible fender polisher who pets their cars. Every racer knows what an SR-71 is.

Question 3. What lie will you tell your wife to buy this car? Answer: I don't have to lie to my wife to buy this car!
Lie,lie, lie...No sale.

Question 4. Do you own a Brinks truck? Is it full? And that's how Brian got Blackie.
Damn, Jimmy I do miss you around here!

Originally Posted by Felix
So Brian, what lies did you tell T?
Ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies.

Originally Posted by ScottMellor
I thought you used the old "one silver TT looks the same as another" school of salesmanship. The larger question is how you pulled off the conversion? Spartan's gambit?
Old 07-01-2011, 03:22 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Oh if you remember there was a scratch on the fender flare plastic....

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...eferrerid=5764
Old 07-12-2011, 01:19 AM
ams autowerks
AutoX

Originally Posted by bb993tt
^^ PM sent.
Beautiful car!!!! My only question is where can I find the center lock hubs? I've been wanting to do this setup for some time now any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 07-12-2011, 11:51 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

^^ Believe it or not they were on ebay, along with all the other ex-Penske Racing bits. Seller was in CA. I have to admit that I don't troll there myself, but Mr. DeMan seems to. I got an email from him a few months ago telling me he'd seen these for sale and that they were being offered at a good price. The man's like a crack dealer ... in a good sort of way.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:53 AM
V
Drifting

Originally Posted by TB993tt
I think now days we have moved on a bit in the Secan debate. We know that (with fully Motronically controlled cars like factory) timing and boost are reduced from optimal at around 40 degC intake so simply if during your "use" (racing, street, ambient conditions etc) the IAT stays below 40DegC then you are getting your maximum power be it 408PS or 550PS or whatever but above the 40 you will get less than your maximum power.
A new Secan (like the one MOD and I have, not the $$$$$$ EVO one) will keep your IAT within 20DegC of ambient.
A bit of data logging of IAT during your "use" will tell you the correct answer

BTW I reckon MOD would sell you his for a reasonable offer....
Toby, would you care to share some more information regarding this so called "new Secan I/C"? Is that the one being sold by RS-Tuning? Is it available for purchase outright and if so, how much?

I saw this site online (no affil):

http://www.ctrdevelopments.com/intercoolers.html

From their webpage: "These are not the cheapest but are certainly the best in our opinion. These coolers are 100% comparable to Secan coolers but at a fraction the cost!"

I've also heard a lot of talk about the Marston cores. Does anyone have any experiance with these?

Sorry Bryan for derailing the thread a bit. Btw, are you still on the stock I/C?
Old 07-13-2011, 11:12 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Viggo
Btw, are you still on the stock I/C?
Kinda/sorta, V. A cursory look at the IC would indicate a stock unit. A closer look would reveal that it's been modified by Andial and is X% thicker than the stock piece, as I understand it.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:54 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Yes you pretty much have to look at a stock one side by side with the Andial piece to see the difference.
For today's useless tidbit:
According to my tech, the Andial Intercooler was constructed to Andial specs by a helicopter IC fabricator who lives in Ojai CA.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:26 AM
993C4RS
Instructor

Awesome car.. and thread!

I like the direction Blackie is going...
I always wondered why Jim never took the next steps!

The Andial IC's were anodized black and extensive trimming was done to the
cover piece to keep the factory look..

Any plans for Jim to shake it down? It would be interesting to see his feedback.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:36 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 993C4RS
Any plans for Jim to shake it down? It would be interesting to see his feedback.
Well, as much as I would love that to happen and would be a great day for me, it's highly unlikely. Unfortunately, we're separated by an entire continent.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:45 AM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Default **Update - trackblackie**

A few pix of Rick DeMan wringing blackie out at MMC on a cold October day.
Attached Images            

Quick Reply: phatblackie (not for the purists)