Sponsored by:

993 TT Engine Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 10:55 PM
Essexmetal
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 993 TT Engine Build

Had some issues that took out my motor at the track last year. Started the rebuild and thought I would post some shots of it as the build progresses. First, thank you to Rennlist Jean for helping me jump start this build with both his knowledge and supply of very slightly used P&C's and Heads. Used stock heads were not around and new did not have the dollar value verses aftermarket performance heads.

The case has been shuffle pinned and boattailed. This motor ran for three years with 498 RWHP and definitely showed signs of aggressive shuffling. Polished stock crank with Pauter Rods and Calico bearings. With the 3.8 cylinders I went with turning their spigots down instead of boring the case and then having to o-ring it. Made a turning fixture for the cylinders which made it easy to hold them to spec when turning and then remounting them for the second operation of machining the bases sealing ring groove.
Rick

Last edited by Essexmetal; 05-16-2012 at 12:37 AM.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:06 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

If your car sees the track, I would have spent the time to bore the spigots and oring them.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:05 PM
Essexmetal
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Kevin,

Thanks for the reply. I agree boring the cases is the optimum choice. Unfortunately the case was together when the cylinder choice was made. My car sees limited track use and will be shifted at a reasonably low RPM, especially compared to N/A rev limits. Several builders confirm my findings that distortion of the bore is a function of higher RPM. Based on the above that is why we chose this to make the jugs slip in instead of bore in.
Rick
Old 06-07-2011, 01:08 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

On a turbo engine and on the 102mm bore we have to worry about heat causing the distortion. There was a test years ago when the 100mm Mahle skirts were tested vs the 98 machine in's. The 100mm never lasted as long and had distortion issues.

I would also measure up the lower slip in portion of a original liner, and mimic the machine work. The lower liner needs to expand at certain rate. You don't want to stick the piston.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:11 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Rick,

Good luck with the rebuild, with your machining skills this will be a piece of cake for you FWIW I ran my engine for three first years at the track with slip-in Mahle 102mm cylinders without any issues, and unless you will be racing this car (which you aren't I think) I would have total peace of mind.

As Kevin rightly said and as we discussed in private a few times, boring the case is obviously the best way to go, however weighing pros and cons can tilt it either way.

Do keep the pictures coming please as you move forward with it, you have some very tasty rods, cams, and special heads going in there among other things

Quick Reply: 993 TT Engine Build