Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTB: Turbo S rear spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011 | 09:49 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Default WTB: Turbo S rear spoiler

Well, I'm kicking myself for not buying one of these when another RL'er offered me one, so I figured I'd post here to see if anyone has one they're using as an excuse to take up unneeded garage space. I've decided to turn my car into a TTS clone (sans the air ducts), as I already have the front spoiler, full carbon interior, and a few other bits.

PM me if you have one you'd like taken off your hands! I'd also be interested ina factory TTS oil cooler if anyone has a used one of those too.

Thanks!
Old 05-24-2011 | 10:11 PM
TheBen
Drifting

Here's something you might be interested in. No affilation -

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...s#ht_500wt_919
Old 05-24-2011 | 10:59 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Ben, That eBay link is for an INTERcooler, Scott is looking for an OIL cooler.

Scott, the "S" cooler is not much bang for the buck. Better to get the RUF/FVD oil cooler.
Old 05-25-2011 | 01:07 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Scott, FYI, I have the MA Shaw Turbo S rear spoiler/wing on my Turbo. Fits & looks great. In case you can't find an OEM one ($$$$).
Old 05-25-2011 | 06:20 PM
TheBen
Drifting

I know it wasn't what he was looking for. Just thought he might be interested. Agreed that it doesn't add much bang for the buck though.
Old 05-25-2011 | 06:55 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Scott,

I also have an MA Shaw repro "S" wing, and feel like its a great value for the money (unless you can find a take-off S wing that is already painted your color!). The MA Shaw wing is pretty heavy compared to the factory, non-S wing, but may not be any different than a factory S wing (I never compared), which I understand is also quite heavy.
Old 05-25-2011 | 07:11 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ca993twin
Ben, That eBay link is for an INTERcooler, Scott is looking for an OIL cooler.

Scott, the "S" cooler is not much bang for the buck. Better to get the RUF/FVD oil cooler.
That's kind of my thinking that someone bought one and it didn't do enough . I don't see myself going past UMW's stage 1, and I don't track this car (I'm a fender rubber), so I think it should be fine for the street.
Old 05-25-2011 | 07:24 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Scott, FYI, I have the MA Shaw Turbo S rear spoiler/wing on my Turbo. Fits & looks great. In case you can't find an OEM one ($$$$).
I've seen so many bad composite pieces it makes me nervous (never dealt with them). Do you know how much prep your shop had to do to get it to fit right?
Old 05-25-2011 | 10:11 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

To put the aftermarket wing value proposition in perspective, I bought an OEM piece in Spain in '07 for the equivalent of about $2000. It came off a C4S with the factory aero package. Guy didn't like the wing, but then I've read on here a lot of people don't like them. And that's fine ... but who cares? The only important thing was that I liked them and it was my money being spent. And it didn't hurt that I was able to sell the original TT wing in the UK (in $ terms) for more than I paid of the TTS piece. Go figure. (FX differences at the time probably accounted for some of this.)
Old 05-25-2011 | 10:55 PM
sanyata
Rennlist Member

Scott,

I have the oem wing off Scott Mellor's car sitting in my... "ahem"... junk room.

PM sent
Old 05-26-2011 | 07:40 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Originally Posted by CincyScott
I've seen so many bad composite pieces it makes me nervous (never dealt with them). Do you know how much prep your shop had to do to get it to fit right?
Scott, the prior owner (Rennlister, md11plt, Thomas) has this done to my Turbo.

I'm pretty sure the part was prep'd and painted, and then installed.

Interesting story. When I bought the car a little over a year ago, I noticed the margins on each side of the trunk lid were off by about 2mm. I called MA Shaw one day, and left a message for Mike Shaw. He called me back the next day!

I explaned to Mike that the margins were off. He assured me the fit should be perfect. I asked around the Chicago Section PCA for a trusted body shop to re-align the trunk lid. Found a shop in Barrington. Took it in one morning, and within 20 minutes and $75 they aligned it perfectly. When they pulled my Turbo into the shop, I overheard the shop worker ask the owner, "How close should we align the Porsche?" The shop owner replied, "How about perfectly!" I knew then I was at the right place.

If you can find an OEM part (from Sanyata), and it fits your budget, go that route. If not, the MA Shaw part is a great option.

I have my OEM whale tail hanging on the wall in my garage. Great conversation starter!
Old 05-26-2011 | 07:11 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
... I noticed the margins on each side of the trunk lid were off by about 2mm. I called MA Shaw one day, and left a message for Mike Shaw. He called me back the next day!

I explaned to Mike that the margins were off. He assured me the fit should be perfect. I asked around the Chicago Section PCA for a trusted body shop to re-align the trunk lid. Found a shop in Barrington. Took it in one morning, and within 20 minutes and $75 they aligned it perfectly. When they pulled my Turbo into the shop, I overheard the shop worker ask the owner, "How close should we align the Porsche?" The shop owner replied, "How about perfectly!" I knew then I was at the right place...
not to be a smart ***, but realigning the wing is pretty straightforward if it's off by a little. Just loosen the two bolts for latch on the wing, move it the 2 mm that it's off and tighten. Takes couple of minutes at most...If the height is off, it takes a little time getting the number of shims/washers right.
Old 05-27-2011 | 06:03 PM
Essexmetal
Instructor

Scott,

I have an MA Shaw TTS tail on my car. Your concerns are well grounded. The tail required moving the hinges around to get the margins suitably equal. I put the wing on my surface plate and did a layout on the mount pads and found them 3.5mm offset to one side. Several posts on Rennlist raise the same issues with the same wing. Looks to be a tooling issue. Easily corrected in my case by tweaking the hinges but the purchaser should not have to.

The layup was also heavy with porosity which was a pain to get a suitable surface prep for paint. I did call Mike Shaw and was told that all the "good" shops coat the whole surface with a coat of filler to correct for the "minor deficiencies". I obviously am not a good shop since I did not dip this new part in Bondo first. The main point here is that these one off parts are very subjective on quality. Someone might get a good one and praise it, the next guy gets sh*t.

I many cases the person buying the parts are not installing them, their body shop is. In my case I do the installation, paint and fabrication as a business so I live with poor aftermarket crap from time to time for both my self and my customers cars. Shop carefully, buy OEM where you can or get one where someone else did all the prep and fitment.

Regards,
Rick
Old 05-27-2011 | 06:40 PM
Norske
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'd go with the Cargraphic cooler. My car4 never gets too hot and the air blows ice.
Old 05-27-2011 | 08:26 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Rick,
I appreciate your insight here, and you confirmed my thinking on pretty much any fiberglass piece. I've installed them before and made them look good, but, like you found that they can be a lot of effort too.

Originally Posted by Essexmetal
Scott,

I have an MA Shaw TTS tail on my car. Your concerns are well grounded. The tail required moving the hinges around to get the margins suitably equal. I put the wing on my surface plate and did a layout on the mount pads and found them 3.5mm offset to one side. Several posts on Rennlist raise the same issues with the same wing. Looks to be a tooling issue. Easily corrected in my case by tweaking the hinges but the purchaser should not have to.

The layup was also heavy with porosity which was a pain to get a suitable surface prep for paint. I did call Mike Shaw and was told that all the "good" shops coat the whole surface with a coat of filler to correct for the "minor deficiencies". I obviously am not a good shop since I did not dip this new part in Bondo first. The main point here is that these one off parts are very subjective on quality. Someone might get a good one and praise it, the next guy gets sh*t.

I many cases the person buying the parts are not installing them, their body shop is. In my case I do the installation, paint and fabrication as a business so I live with poor aftermarket crap from time to time for both my self and my customers cars. Shop carefully, buy OEM where you can or get one where someone else did all the prep and fitment.

Regards,
Rick

Quick Reply: WTB: Turbo S rear spoiler