Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Over boosting issues ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 04:32 PM
ACEparts_com
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We're not talking many hot laps though... 3 or 4 60-130 runs in the UK where the temp has barely gone over 15degrees C.
I also agree the reduction in boost could be a symptom and not the cause of the lack of performance.

Maybe the car does have 1bar wastegates and that could be the problem? What effect would that have? Obivously plucking at straws here.
Old 05-21-2011, 04:33 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JBL930
Kevin, i think you're missing my point, or maybe i'm not explaining myself? I fully understand that the Bosch motronic ECU will pull timing and boost, but in a stock car it will only 'need' to do so if there is a problem.
Define "problem"... a 98F day will present the same "problem" to both cars.

However, this conversation isn't really helping ACE...
Old 05-21-2011, 04:39 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ACE, you can easily log intake temps, timing, load via the OBD2 port. Try to get some basic data.
Old 05-21-2011, 04:39 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

The STOCK engine with stock ECU after the many hot laps drops from the rated HP. I have see the datalogs on the track and on my dyno, and on the Maha. All air-cooled engine suffer a boost and timing retard. Now with that said, there a tuners out there that will scale the retard values higher, and reduce the amount of boost retard as the temperatures increase. I have seen the mapping. Some set the values to "ZERO" and then fall back on knock control. And even that safety gets modified.

I'll repeat myself again, the factory GT2 has a higher "values"of retard vs the stock mapping. So if the engine configuration was the same, the k16 mapping will retard less vs the GT2. Put another way, Porsche wants to increase the retard values or increase the engine "Safety" factors.
Old 05-21-2011, 04:42 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Who put the 1bar actuators on? They weren't fitted to your turbochargers when they left my shop. Mucking up the actuator settings has a direct impact on boost and boost control. The mapping has load control and limits per RPM vs load. If the turbochargers are supplying boost that is over the limits it will adjust the N75 to PULL back the boost. You cannot select the boost that "YOU" want to run, with actuators or mucking with the actuator rod adjustments. The ECU is smarter than that, and will end up pulling boost to satisfy the levels that are in the mapping.
Old 05-21-2011, 04:43 PM
ACEparts_com
Pro

Sorry to be posting this 'third hand' so to speak. I seem to recall them saying that the 16psi isn't the issue per se, more like it could possibly be lower at 4000rpm and build higher beyond that.

That's certainly how it feels when driving it, not a lot seems to happen after the whoosh of 4500rpm, like the boost falls away.

Under heavy load (higher gears) I can feel what can only be described as the opening and closing of the wastegates as boost builds and is kept under control.

As i've said, I only get to drive it every 3 months so my recollection can be a bit hazy!
Old 05-21-2011, 04:46 PM
ACEparts_com
Pro

Originally Posted by Kevin
Who put the 1bar actuators on? They weren't fitted to your turbochargers when they left my shop. Mucking up the actuator settings has a direct impact on boost and boost control.
1) I can't guarantee they're 1bar actuators, how would one tell? Just what was said.

2) Turbos were taken from my Mom's suitcase (really) and bolted on the car.
Old 05-21-2011, 04:52 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

If someone monkey's with your actuators all bets are off.. They either did or didn't.. BTW, I have a email address.. Send me the pictures of your actuator setup. What are your current leakdown numbers? What fuel are you running on the track? Pumpgas??

Start logging your knock voltage, timing, boost, and IAT's.. Email me the logs.

Last edited by Kevin; 05-21-2011 at 05:08 PM.
Old 05-21-2011, 05:10 PM
ACEparts_com
Pro

The car doesn't see the track, hasn't done for many years now. Runs shell Optimax or V power; whatever they call it now. No leakdown numbers.
What does monkey's with actuators mean?
NE said they had checked the opening pressures and they cracked at 6psi, does this sound about the right figure?
I recall the actuators both had a shot blast finish to them, silver, round - that's about it!
Old 05-21-2011, 05:15 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

What is the octane rating of the fuel?

Do a leakdown test. That gives us the HEALTH condition of your engine.

You wrote that the actuators are 1bar fitted> I didn't fit 1 bar actuators on the turbochargers..

Monkey's with them >> Has someone re-adjusted the actuators? Yes or no? 1 bar actuators = Yes.. Moving or re-adjusting them = yes..
Old 05-21-2011, 05:15 PM
996ttalot
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kevin,

No one has mucked about with the car. It is in my shop.

- to confirm the pressure on the WGs is set to 6psi. That is how we received it
- we ran the car 3 or 4 times from 60-130+.
- Best time with 2 up was 10.4 seconds. The car was boosting to 16psi on that run - we hooked up a manual boost gauge from the engine around through the passenger window to see what she was doing.
- After 2 or 3 runs, even with reasonable cool time in between, the car feels like it is hitting a wall - boost is back to 13-14psi.
- Ran the car for about 3-4 miles and let IAT reduce and she is back again at 16psi.

We will hook up the reader to see the IATs, but I suspect that is where the issue is e.g. over 37.5c.

FYI - we just upgraded another 993 Turbo with std k16s and acutators - we have through WGs etc got the car running 13-14psi. She runs 10.9 2 up 60-130mph. The only difference between the car is 0.4/0.5 seconds 60-100.

What time are you expecting his set up to run 60-130mph out of interest?

Anyway, we have a few other things to check as well.

Ken
Old 05-21-2011, 05:20 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Run a leakdown test..

Did you fit the turbochargers? The engine has had "run" issues > misfires, fueling??

You wrote you upgraded another 993TT? So the ECU is requesting more boost from stock K16's?. So you have a uprated kit vs my kit??
Old 05-21-2011, 05:24 PM
ACEparts_com
Pro

My mechanic friend of 20 years fitted the Kit; turbo's and all.
Old 05-21-2011, 05:30 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Alan you wrote> The Turbo's are apparently fitted with 1bar actuators that crack open at 6psi

The only way that I can verify the actuators is a picture and the actuator rod/linkage adjustment settings> which you will have to provide me.
Old 05-21-2011, 05:34 PM
996ttalot
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin
Run a leakdown test..

Did you fit the turbochargers? The engine has had "run" issues > misfires, fueling??

You wrote you upgraded another 993TT? So the ECU is requesting more boost from stock K16's?. So you have a uprated kit vs my kit??
Kevin,

We only took the car in at the middle of the week and have only spent a couple of hours on her. We won't touch anything. We haven't fitted anything - the car came in from Alan as supplied by him.

No codes, no misfires etc. The N75 looks okay. Feel free to email me @ ken.napier@nineexcellence.com if there are things you would like checked etc.

To come back to your last point, we had another customer with stock 993 Turbo except for aftermarket exhaust. We wanted to upgrade the turbos to 16g but the cores where not in good shape. So we ended up with just modifying the DME through our partners (911tuning and Protomotive), fitting the 993 Turbos Aux Cooler and a few of the other normal bits
We ran that car and ran 10,9 60-130 and 5.15 IIRC. We could have increased the WG pressure more but to be frank we were happy with the performance out of std K16s and DME. With the same rigged up manual boost gauge it ran consistently at 13psi with the occasional 14psi.
We test on the same proving ground, same level of fuel, same persons and in this instance same AT.

We did a leakdown on the car that we done and it was all over 180psi.

I will speak to Alan on Monday and if he agrees we will do that on his car.

I am not getting into whether our car is better than this car etc. That is not the purpose here for me. Like I said feel free to email me direct.

Ken

Last edited by 996ttalot; 05-21-2011 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Should have read "gauge" instead of "controller"

Quick Reply: Over boosting issues ???