993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what aftermarket tuners ADD value?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011 | 10:20 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Default what aftermarket tuners ADD value?

I'm curious as to what aftermarket tuners add value to the cars they work on. It seems that there's probably only a handful whose overall cost of work translates back into value for the car. I'm thinking companies like Ruf, Andial, and Protomotive. (Are there others?)

Maybe there's tiers:
1). Ruf, Andial...
2). FVD, UMW, etc
3). Fill in the blank here for untrusted sources
4). Porsche Dealers
100). Shade-tree slugs like me

What do others think?
Old 05-16-2011 | 12:04 PM
V
Rennlist Member

I would say RUF certainly gives back some money of each dollar spent. I guess that also applies to the Andial cars as well. As for the other tuners mentioned, not so much. Perhaps in Europe RS-Tuning will return some of the dollars spent when time comes to sell. I dont think any of the others listed will raise the market value of the car, when selling as used "converted" car. Most people prefer OEM.
Old 05-16-2011 | 08:16 PM
CP
Race Director

I would like to think Ruf does. But in this market who knows. I think the only thing of value these days seems to be low, low, low miles (30k miles max). Anything over 70k miles you get severly punished.

JMHO of course.

CP
Old 05-16-2011 | 11:22 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Kevin @ UMW adds value for many of us
Old 05-17-2011 | 08:56 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

What do you want to achieve?

More power? Better handling?
Old 05-17-2011 | 10:37 PM
Y65MPH
Pro

There is no such thing as a tuner that adds value.The question should be phrased, "With which tuner would I loose the least value after modifications?" A Ruf engine build will cost you 50K plus. If you saw 10% of that in resale I would be surprised. But to answer your question, In the US I would say Protomotive or their authorized dealers would bring you the least loss of modification cost. In Europe, RS Tuning, Manthay, Ruf, and maybe 9FF and in Asia Rauh-Welt. The prior mentioned tuners are for serious builds not turbo kits. If your intention is to do a bolt on kit of some sort than choose whoever you trust. They are not to expensive and very seldom bring any value to the car (and in many cases detract from it).

For water cooled cars the list is a bit larger, with Switzer (in your backyard), and EVOMS but these tuners will not add value unless the package is very extreme.
Old 05-18-2011 | 07:26 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Definitely NONE will break even when you sell your car, including all and any of the above list mentioned. Let alone add value.
Old 05-19-2011 | 08:51 PM
hal m
Rennlist Member

You never get back what you put in. So the question is will the increased enjoyment I get from the modifications justify the cost TO ME!

Quick Reply: what aftermarket tuners ADD value?