Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to go fast at the track: Reflections on my 18 month experience

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011 | 10:36 PM
malcolmd
Racer

Default How to go fast at the track: Reflections on my 18 month experience

Although I have owned my '96 993TT for 10 years, it was not until three years ago that I joined our local state Porsche club with the aim of participating in club track days. It then took 18 months for me to actually start tracking. During that period I spent lots of time researching both here and elsewhere and then lots of money getting the here-to-fore pristine car "track ready". That route eventually led to K16/26 hybrids/matched ECU/Ported heat exchangers/PSS-9's/Motorsport Clutch/5 Bar Fuel Pump/Pagid Blue pads/and about -2.5 camber with standard sway bars.

I am just back from my second trip to Mt. Panorama, and iconic Australian track that every "rev head" in both Australia and New Zealand dreams about. With this, plus eighteen months and 20 track days behind me, I have gathered a little experience worthy of reflection. Infact, the data from my back to back visits to "The Mountain" has prompted this thread.

Without going into detail or reason, I returned the car to new stock K16's and ECU just before this last visit, so it is the data log that provides an interesting comparison. The graph below compares the fastest lap for both this and last year. For the record, last year the car had the hybrid package, running R-Spec Pirelli Corsa tyres and ELF 102 RON race fuel. This year, the car had stock K16's and ECU, running Hoosier twin groove's and BP Ultimate 98 RON Pump Gas. Otherwise the car was unchanged.

One can see that the extra 60HP of the hybrid based car translates into a modestly steeper time/velocity slope on the uphill "Mountain Straight" run, however, because of the slower corner exit speed (largely tyres and driver experience/committment) the K16 based car holds it's own as it's average speed up hill remains higher that the "faster car". On the long down hill "Conrod Straight" the hybrid really only shows longer legs above 240 kph, and again any benefit is quickly lost by the K16 car holding greater corner speed into "The Chase" - 234kph entry. Again, driver and tyres being responsible here.

Overall, this year's "slower car" was over 7 seconds a lap faster than last year's "fast car". No hybrids, no $6 per litre race gas! All due to faster overall speed being held in corners. In fact of a field of 50 cars in 5 sessions over Easter, my "Stock 993TT" was the 4th fastest, being bettered by a stock 997TT, a light weight 996TT and a GT3 Cup (who was playing with us!)

So what have I learnt? Well, exactly what many experienced track drivers will tell you when you are a novice - "The best bang for the buck investment in car performance comes from 1. Time behind the wheel. 2. Tuition and 3. Better rubber. Forget the power upgrade until you have maximized on the 3 above.

So why is it so hard to do this? I guess, I like many, become over enthused by the idea of more power, perhaps not realizing that without skill and traction, the power won't help.

(But now I wonder, how fast I might have been with that etra power now! - Shush that evil voice )

If you are interested, I've posted some videos on YouTube. They are available in 1080 HD if you want.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEm0nazVaMs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqs1EZ-g-qQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asp1Wxy1Pwg
Attached Images  
Old 04-25-2011 | 11:14 PM
turboluvr
Intermediate

Very well said, and it's nice to see the data to back up the results. Looks like a great track.
Old 04-26-2011 | 12:49 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

there is a saying that it is more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow. (not that a stock 993tt is a slow car)
Old 04-26-2011 | 01:51 AM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Turbodan
there is a saying that it is more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.
Spoken primarily by those that cannot afford more power
Old 04-26-2011 | 03:03 AM
wagongotya
Pro

Originally Posted by Turbodan
there is a saying that it is more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow. (not that a stock 993tt is a slow car)
There is also a saying that driving a fast car fast is best :-)
Old 04-27-2011 | 07:12 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

I have more fun in my slow (=cheaper) car because i don't care if a crack it up.
Old 05-11-2011 | 04:19 AM
G-Man993

Very interesting post Malcomed. My friends that competed at bathurst had a blast too and ravved about the circuit.
Old 05-12-2011 | 12:09 AM
malcolmd
Racer

G-Manm, looks like there will be an event again next year - make sure you sign up!
Old 05-12-2011 | 04:39 AM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Malcolm,

You want more track time.....? The ONLY way to do Bathurst.

www.drivebathurst.com

Disclaimer - I do some work for these guys.
Old 05-12-2011 | 07:50 AM
malcolmd
Racer

Simon, hmmmm. Tempting. If only I lived in Sydney. Maybe I could get down to 2:30!
Old 05-14-2011 | 03:24 AM
993MAN
Drifting

And that's how to have fun!
Great video clips mate, really enjoyed them. Even though I will never be able to drive like that, it's great to see how amazing these cars still are.
Cheers
Old 05-16-2011 | 07:11 PM
malcolmd
Racer

MAN, it's not so far across the Tasman Sea! On one of those milestone birthdays, shout yourself a "life experience event" and do a Bathurst drive day, or even a V8 Supercar hotlap. There are many opportunities whereby you can drive a "hire" vehicle. For we in the antipodies, Bathurst is about as good as it gets for "petrol heads". At the event Simon alludes to, I'm sure the first session of the day will be "hot laps" - probably in a V8 Supercar.
Good luck in the Rugby World Cup, mate!

Quick Reply: How to go fast at the track: Reflections on my 18 month experience