Sponsored by:

RUF turbo R intercooler pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 03:54 AM
pete95zhn
Former Vendor

Received 109 Likes on 63 Posts
Default RUF turbo R intercooler pics

Does anyone over here have detailed pictures of 993 based RUF turbo R intercoolers and their ducting? Those that are placed inside rear bumper, CTR2 / 996 turbo style.

Where does it pull cooling air from?

Also if someone has pics of 996 based narrowbody Rturbo intercooling...there's a metallic blue Rturbo cab without IC intakes on top of fenders somewhere in the US which I'm especially interested...was for sale about ½ year ago in RAC...

Where does it pull the cooling air from?

Search did not help. TIA!

Last edited by pete95zhn; 04-22-2011 at 04:52 AM.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:03 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Pete,

I am so curious about your project... can you shed some light?

993 Ruf Turbo Rs all use the standard Porsche 993TT intercooler. You want the CTR-2 photos and information, I'm pretty sure. If I'm correct, you may want to change the title in this thread.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:21 PM
pete95zhn
Former Vendor

Nope, there's plenty of CTR2 IC pics floating arount the net. Completely different solution. What I'd like to see is those few "narrowbody" 993 turbo -based turboR IC's... ...and their IC's are placed like 996 turbo's. If there's really any...
I have seen somewhere a crappy picture of thet solution, and it looked like they were vertically just behind rear wheels, flow exiting through those bumper vents. But how's the intake?
Like how those IC's are fed in that 996 based R turbo cab.

What I have is in my signature and avatar. Just looking for IC intake solution without cutting rear fenders.

EDITED for correct chassis! = 993 turbo, not CTR2!!

Last edited by pete95zhn; 04-23-2011 at 03:20 AM.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:30 PM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 345 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by pete95zhn
Also if someone has pics of 996 based narrowbody Rturbo intercooling...there's a metallic blue Rturbo cab without IC intakes on top of fenders somewhere in the US which I'm especially interested...was for sale about ½ year ago in RAC...

Where does it pull the cooling air from?

Search did not help. TIA!
This car is still for sale at Ruf Dallas. I see it all the time and will look next time I'm over there.

I've seen Ruf ICs mounted vertically ahead of the front left tire in a 993. Is this what you're looking for?
Old 04-22-2011, 04:51 PM
pete95zhn
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by bbs993tt
This car is still for sale at Ruf Dallas. I see it all the time and will look next time I'm over there.
Thanks, that would be nice!

Originally Posted by bbs993tt
I've seen Ruf ICs mounted vertically ahead of the front left tire in a 993. Is this what you're looking for?
That would be a water-to-ice IC's heat exchanger...the pic I saw was about IC's placed behind each rear wheel. ( I used google pic search but couldn't find it again. )
There are two issues in this set-up:
1) Is there enough pressure differential between rear wheel well and bumper corner to create flow across the IC?
2)How the IC inlet is protected against flying debris?
Old 04-22-2011, 09:33 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ca993twin
Pete,
993 Ruf Turbo Rs all use the standard Porsche 993TT intercooler. You want the CTR-2 photos and information, I'm pretty sure. If I'm correct, you may want to change the title in this thread.
Originally Posted by pete95zhn
Nope, there's plenty of CTR2 IC pics floating arount the net. Completely different solution. What I'd like to see is those few "narrowbody" 993-based turboR IC's... RUF has built less than 10 of those and their IC's are placed like 996 turbo's.
All Turbo R's I've seen have the stock 993tt intercooler. If you're looking for the single turbo narrow body 993 Ruf, it's the BTR-2. There's rennlister with one, haven't seen him post recently, his online name will come to me I think in a bit. I believe Steve knows him personally.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:39 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

The few BTRs I've seen are single turbo, and have the intercooler on top of the engine. Pong is the local guy with the metallic back BTR-2. I would love to see/hear more on this topic.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:19 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Mine is a BTR-2 based on a narrow body 993. here are a few pictures of, and around, the intercooler.

If there are particular areas you would like more pics, all you have to do is ask.

Better yet, in case you are local in the SF Bay Area, you can see the car in person.

Hops this helps.

CP
Attached Images    
Old 04-23-2011, 12:54 AM
97_993C2
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

If I am reading Pete correctly, he is saying there are less than 10 Turbo Rs that were "converted" from narrow body 993s. I have never heard of that. Are they really out there? I'd love to see pictures of the rest of the car, not just the IC's.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:15 AM
pete95zhn
Former Vendor

OK, before this gets totally out of hand, I must make few corrections. And did to my posting above. I was pretty sure that I had read and seen pictures about std-turbo-wide turbo R's with twin IC's ie. not CTR2-bodied ones, but most likely I'm wrong and those cars are just CTR2 bodykitted turbo R's.

What I saw was -I think now- a pic of a 959 engine on a stand with a wrong text...I tried to search it but all I found are these:

IC's are fed via duct from above, exits are at bumper corners.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:32 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

FWIW.......

The original CTR twin turbo Porsche engine was designed by Reinhold Schmirler when he worked for Ruf and the intercoolers were fitted to the left and right of the engine and could be seen when opening the engine lid tucked away behind the chassis rails (this was the old 196X-1989 chassis).

The prototype CTR the Yellowbird (which did all those 213mph record runs for the mags) had NACA ducts on the rear wings which supposedly fed the intercoolers.

The production CTRs did not have the NACA dicts in the wings because basically they didn't work in fact the intercoolers worked very badly in the CTR becoming heat soaked quite quickly when the engine was used at full chat 1.1/1.2 bar however at 0.8bar and 470PS they worked well enough to sustain this power proven by the 213mph runs

The CTR2s had the specific new engine hood which drew air in from an opening at the top of the wing and chanlled inside the wing into the intercoolers at the sides which were in a completely different location (to the CTR1).

Whilst doubtlessly a better set up for channelling air through the intercoolers the CTR2 "only" ever managed around 560PS which was the limit for these engines without expensive Secans.

The 996tt onwards whilst similar in theory was executed by Porsche properly using ducts and no doubt lots of expensive wind tunnel testing and data aquisition and should not be compared to Ruf's (commendable) efforts.

The pic you show of the 993 has the stock rear wing so presumably does not have the intercoolers side by side but will probably use the stock 993tt unit which as Ruf knew was the best option as no aftermarket unit of the era could better its performance for the usage.

The specific intercoolers Ruf used were nothing special in terms of manufacture, made by a Porsche OEM supplier IIRC - Jean will know this one

Quick Reply: RUF turbo R intercooler pics