Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much would you pay for a 95k mile 993tt???

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 10:45 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by IamSMC
Not so hypothetical

There's one in the RL classifieds now

116,000 miles asking $49500

Plus 2 more +/- 90k miles sub $50k on Autotrader:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

the ^ silver one is what I spoke about earlier and the black -second one - has been for sale for some time, infact it is advertised at a lower price on another site....
Old 02-02-2011, 05:44 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 279 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Hypothetically speaking, if the economy rebounds strongly in the next few years, some enthusiasts continue to keep some of the collection of Turbos in the garage as queens, the Euro rebounds and more of our cars take a trip over to the motherland, couldn’t the value remain pretty flat (very little depreciation) and even possibly go up (slightly)????
Even with "normal" mileage assumptions, prices of some air cooled cars rose substantially from about '96 according to Excellence Mag tracking. The worst were flat, which is pretty good for any car. I think small increases is a possibility with the 993tt once the US economy gets back on track. Key issue is of course mileage. Anticipated low/lower depreciation is about 4th on the list of reasons I bought mine. At the least, you can expect to not suffer H2O cooled rapid depreciation........
Old 02-26-2011, 10:21 AM
Slimwear
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
the ^ silver one is what I spoke about earlier and the black -second one - has been for sale for some time, infact it is advertised at a lower price on another site....
I had a PPI done on the black one a couple months ago and I'm guessing it will be there for a long time if other buyers do the same.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:40 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Mattnshilp, I think I know what you're trying to do. You are trying to figure out your depreciation hit if you buy that Turbo. Right?

I am NOT a big subscriber to depreciation. I say this because, to me, depreciation (as related to a Porsche) implies a loss in value without receiving a perceived or true benefit in return. Nothing could be further from the truth by being a Porsche owner, especially a 993TT owner. We receive a LOT in return for the cost of admission.

I fully expect my Porsche toys to be worth less each year. Not because they "depreciated", but because I have "consumed" part of the car's value and received a great benefit during the ownership experience during that time period. Nothing’s for free. Some of us are getting paid dividends.

Maybe I am just trying to "justify" things to myself. Let's face it, no one needs a Porsche. These are toys. But I challenge you to think differently about depreciation. It's a bit of a paradigm shift.
To me, depreciation is part of the cost of the vehicle, and needs to be calculated into the net financial cost of ownership. On new cars, this cost is high, on 993TT's, it can vary depending on the initial mileage. miles driven, and what the market is doing.

Before purchasing any car, I run a 5-10 year analysis of it's total cost as part of the buying decision (of which depreciation is certainly part of), and to be aware of what i am getting into. However, this is just ONE input into the decision ; there are "wants" and rewards come into play that run against the "costs". The decision is based on exactly what you are talking about ; are the wants that are being met and the benefits received worth the cost?

The total cost of ownership should include the opportunity cost of the capital outlay (i.e.. what you could make on that money if invested), the interest if borrowing to purchase the car, depreciation, insurance, maintenance (oil, tires, brakes, wear items), and even upgrades.

To me, the final decision to buy or not to buy are an evaluation of a set of weighed factors, of which the financial cost of ownership is just one. Other factors, like looks, prestige, uniqueness, driving pleasure all come into play. I usually use a weighed calculation to figure out the final ranking.

This balance is different for each person ; there is no way for my wife that a 993 in any manner could be justified, for her cost outweighs any other factor ; for me it's the other way around since the total cost of a 993 is less than the benefits I receive.

For my 993 Targa, I will admit my model was wrong when I did it in 2002, I did not anticipate some larger cost items that arose (like the roof replacement and the top end) which would I have known before purchase would have moved the cost to be greater than the benfiits, and the purchase would not have occurred.

I am always surprised that people do not think of total cost of ownership, and just spontaneously buy, and then complain on how much money they "lost" on exit. If you run a reasonable model up front it will help and even feel good at the exit since you will know that your decision was a good one.

How can you tell I am an engineer?

Cheers,

Mike

Quick Reply: How much would you pay for a 95k mile 993tt???