Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Challenger 480hp vs Used 993TT.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011 | 07:24 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

I'd buy the 96...

IMO, the new Dodge is a horribly proportioned shadow of the original design - not the fault of Ralph Gilles, rather the current mandates regarding bumper height, golf bag quantity etc. Also, if you are concerned about loosing money, they ONLY way you won't loose is to have 2 993's in the garage (or 1 in the garage & 1 in a hermetically sealed tomb).

If you decide to buy the Dodge, please PM me your friend's contact info....!
Old 01-27-2011 | 08:49 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

can u post pics and details of your '97 ?
Old 01-27-2011 | 09:34 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Cars are to drive.
Pictures are for looking at.
Old 01-28-2011 | 03:32 AM
993MAN
Drifting

What Scott says. I can honestly see no point what so ever in owning any car not to drive. I mean, they are going to lose money anyway, one way or the other.
I bet the great Dr F himself wouldn't approve of a garage queen
Old 01-28-2011 | 10:47 AM
ELPORSCHA
Racer

Thanks to all,

Agree, cars are to drive, and I do it give it the occasional exercise, just to maintain agility

As to criticism of keeping THE one in garage most of time, looking at. There are, I understand, some guys, saw one once in Germany, who keep them in-house, as in living room! and probably do more with them beauties than just gaze ..

Nurburger view on the new Challenger size/disproportion, may be well said, but the power under makes it worth the try. I think. In any event, one would'nt expect Dodge to re-manufacture/re-introduce this pony with the exact sleek slim body it had back in the 70's.

Parnelli. hate to say this, but I tried few times to take some decent photos, they always come out in bad light. May be I should ask someone pro to do it for me. I will review some of the photos taken, if they are worth posting.

Btw, the car had recently undergone some mods, all cosmetic: like GT2 interior (no radio speakers, airbags, etc), TTS front spolier, Cargraphic 19" wheels.

Old 01-28-2011 | 11:33 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Originally Posted by ELPORSCHA
Parnelli. hate to say this, but I tried few times to take some decent photos, they always come out in bad light.

You need to actually take the queen out of the garage for better lighting!
Old 01-28-2011 | 12:16 PM
ELPORSCHA
Racer

Here's some grayish colored photos.

Name:  IMG_0331.JPG
Views: 149
Size:  37.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0340.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  45.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0383.JPG
Views: 163
Size:  141.4 KB
Old 01-28-2011 | 02:36 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

I am with Nohtwo o: sell the 97 and buy the 96 and the challenger or how about ford gt?
these cars sitting are a bit of a waste. they were meant to be enjoyed.
I just finished reading my wifes magazine article in vanity fair on ralph laurens collection and he drives them all, they are not museum pieces (some of his could be considered).
Old 01-28-2011 | 03:59 PM
Guns951
Race Car

No disrespect to the OP, but how can one have such a perfect machine and not take it out and experience the thrills she has to offer as the good Dr. intended? DRIVE IT!!!!!

Sell the '97 to a collector, buy and drive the 96 until the doors fall off. These cars are GREAT daily or at least 50% of the week cars...they are meant to be driven and spanked like good little mistresses not stashed away like trophy wives.

That said I practice what I preach and you can find my K3 in traffic from time to time if you're lucky enough...no excuses, buy the '96 and DRIVE it!

Good luck with your decision, sounds like that '97 means alot to you.
Old 01-28-2011 | 04:11 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Elporscha, I love our cars in white. Looks great.

Is your car a Turbo or a Turbo S? What about the side indicator lights?
Old 01-28-2011 | 04:39 PM
ELPORSCHA
Racer

Yes NoH2O, they are white marvels, aren't they!

Your car not bad either! I've always wanted an Arena red...absolute beauty, and rare sight!

Mine is not a TTS, the side air intakes are OEM factory.

What about them - side indicators? U referring to change to white! Understand the white ones (Euro version) will not fit, unless removing bumperette, i.e. replace entire front bumper from US to Euro spec.
Old 01-28-2011 | 04:45 PM
ELPORSCHA
Racer

Originally Posted by Guns951
Good luck with your decision, sounds like that '97 means alot to you.
Thanks Guns....it does mean alot to me. And I've learned to cherish them 993TT's the hard way

If the factory would one day do like what others are doing nowadays re-producing old favorite models, then its a different story, but I don't think Porsche will go that way. These are true, once in life time, classics of the oil cooled type...
Old 01-28-2011 | 05:40 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Originally Posted by ELPORSCHA
Yes NoH2O, they are white marvels, aren't they!

Your car not bad either! I've always wanted an Arena red...absolute beauty, and rare sight!

Mine is not a TTS, the side air intakes are OEM factory.

What about them - side indicators? U referring to change to white! Understand the white ones (Euro version) will not fit, unless removing bumperette, i.e. replace entire front bumper from US to Euro spec.
Elporscha, I would have bought my Turbo in white, but I already have 2 white cars (my Boxster is Carrara White and my wife's Mercedes is white). Arena Red was my #1 choice when searching out my Turbo.

The side indicators I am asking about are the small amber ones on the front fenders. Very European.

Was your car built with the rear side intakes from the factory, or done here State side after the purchase? Very cool.
Old 01-29-2011 | 06:39 AM
ELPORSCHA
Racer

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Elporscha, I would have bought my Turbo in white, but I already have 2 white cars (my Boxster is Carrara White and my wife's Mercedes is white). Arena Red was my #1 choice when searching out my Turbo.

The side indicators I am asking about are the small amber ones on the front fenders. Very European.

Was your car built with the rear side intakes from the factory, or done here State side after the purchase? Very cool.
U made the right choice, with the Arena. Out of the colors they came in, think yellow, black, silver, white and Arena, were top.

My first 993tt, was a 993TTS, Pastel Yellow, midnight blue interior, totaled . Life time of regrets... Now that I been working out of US, in Gulf area. Got an opportunity, thru a Canadian friend working with Porsche AG, who knew this car (the current white TT). It has all the NA (US) specs, yet since it was to be imported in country out NA region, it had the ROW option of amber side indicators.

The rear-fenders air-intakes are factory built-in option - not a post production mod. They do give the car very cool look, especially now with installation of twin-tail pipes (another TTS feature).

Here is a list of mods done over the last year (took more than a year at Porsche to order and service install all):

- GT2 interior (steering, dash, door panels, etc).
- Twin-tail pipes.
- Rear wiper, delete.
- Roll-bar.
- Front spoiler.

I had the option, available from Porsche Motorsports Div, to install GT2 side flares, but declined the offer, since the price (on top of what was already an expensive and time consuming exercise) was astronomical, and - more important - I think, was the work required (not a simple surgical procedure, altering body shell - fenders). One would add on or delete features, as they wish, yet IMO the shell itself shud never be touched
Old 01-30-2011 | 11:46 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Elporscha, do you have any pics of the Pastel Yellow/Blue 993TTS?

Please, don't take this the wrong way, but why did Porsche build your current Turbo with the 993TTS rear fender air intakes? If I were a 993TTS owner, I'd be pissed that Porsche was cranking out "clones". I can understand the aftermarket stuff done, but not the true factory option going onto a non-S turbo.

How many did Porsche do like this? What was the cost of this option? I'm guessing over $7K.

Thanks!

I hope you never sell your car, because I won't be tempted to buy it. LOL!!

Quick Reply: New Challenger 480hp vs Used 993TT.