Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Go back to 3.6TT engine or fix Protomotive 3.8TT twin plug beast?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 06:49 PM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 121 Posts

Of the listed choices I would choose option #1

Thinking outside of the box though I would source 2 used 3.8 cylinders (got to be others in your shoes) and then have CP pistons copy your piston but using current wrist pin and short skirt technology. They will weight 25%+ less than what you have. In the 102mm size they have a high silicon forging that has a low rate of expansion just like the mahles. This would be an upgrade over what you have and leave you with more options for repairs down the road.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:24 PM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about your situation Jean. Considering how much you've taught me I don't feel it's my place to be posting, but since you asked... You know Todd would help you getting the mahle jugs.

Option 1) You know it rocks. You also know this will be just one of many more rebuilds if you continue to track it. Budget is what, 10-20K a year for it? You want to keep doing this?

Option 2) I wonder if running 4 twin plugged heads with 2 single plugged ones would be an issue. This may be a good option if you want to reduce your maintenance costs? Could you stand getting walked by cars you used to pull?

Option 3) I'm pretty sure you'd be dissatisfied.

I'm hoping to have data on installed tial a28's very soon running meth/h2o. Hoping that keeping the revs low will improve tractability and durability. Todd will have the #'s since he's doing the tuning.
GL!
Old 01-11-2011, 07:25 PM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 398 Likes on 194 Posts

Jean,

Nice to hear from you.

I second most of the comments here - although with one caveat - if you part her out - let me know first

But in all seriousness:

Drop the motor, send it to Todd, let him decide (to a degree) what needs to be done - and then re-install.

Then - take it for a drive.

You have the 997 for the street - so another stockish street car isnt going to cut it - and the 997 is prob better and faster on the street anyways?

I am in a similar situation - i no longer track the black car - i have beaten all the Gt3s, and proven my point - its now a little softer and great for the occasional weekend blast - looks TUFF on the street too

Regardless - always open for a chat - you have my number !

Simon.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:41 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I would probably cut my losses and sell everything. Whatever else you do would never be the same.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:42 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

I am humbled by the comments What a great place this is! Almost 10 years went by on RL, scary. Planet Earth is one small world, I have made many personal friends here and met our families, stayed at each others homes and countries, travelled, drove and raced together.

Malcolm, money is "always" an object regardless
Back to business.. No hardcore racing with this car, just occasional time trials and hillclimbs, as a street-legal car on which I might put my CF doors and high downforce custom parts on and off. But no crazy engine setups.

Option 1 it is! Challenges will not be small.

This engine is a custom, pressure sensing setup based on Motronic, and there is only person I know of who can retune it as is, Todd Knighton. I would have liked to go back to a more friendly albeit less powerful stock MAF setup, however that entails buying back a stock intake and more parts including a stock IC and I would be left with my current parts that I dont need at home.

Shipping the engine is not easy, car is in Beirut and I am hardly there, even finding good packers is a challenge.. Export paperwork (to be able to bring it in without paying duties) is a nightmare, and cost is also big. Import/export to/from the US is not easy either..But can be done! I could have it rebuilt in Beirut, I have a good Porsche mechanic, but the engine will need to be retuned on an engine dyno after assembly, and that's a key issue.

I will buy 6 new 3.8ltr P&Cs and heads, initially Mahle and OEM, but I will be looking and open to other options, haven't seen any results or tests on the 9M heads so that is not an option. I also dont need really need any lightweight engine parts given my objective, drivability and longevity are key.
Humm...Going back to factory MAF setup?

The 7GT2 is an unbelievable car, in stock form it handles just as well as my 993 with the zillion upgrades I have done to it. It even brakes better than my 380brembos, and has much more traction.... Power-wise it is quite a handful, but no insanity like my 993TT It will remain stock for a while.

Stay tuned for TB993TT's 7GT2 in that department
Old 01-12-2011, 08:42 AM
biiig-hp
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jean, look into the Porsche heads from Porsche motorsports. They are already twin pluggen and have many other benefits. You'll save on the cost of machining the stock ones and get a really nice head. I've had them on my motor for a few years and they did make a noticeable difference on the dyno.

and on another note, just down size the turbo's a bit and run less boost. don't change anything else. that motor will still be an animal and reliable for the street, and drivable!!

so nice to see you getting it back together!
Old 01-12-2011, 09:26 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by biiig-hp
Jean, look into the Porsche heads from Porsche motorsports.
Definitely worth it! But.... I don't really need them as I dont plan to drive this car too hard. Would be interested to know where you sourced them new however and for what price. I can get used ones from Germany but then would have to test and match etc..
Old 01-12-2011, 10:34 AM
biiig-hp
Instructor

No problem. I got them from Bob @ modeinc. He has close ties to Porsche motorsport. I can't remember what I paid but I do recall that we did the math and it wasn't all that much more than the factory heads when you factor in the machining. the thing I like is that the motor makes great power @ .08 bar and it doesn't work all that hard. I use to have to run much higher boost to reach the same power. Just from changin the heads! well, truth be told I melted the old heads so I had to change them.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:52 AM
biiig-hp
Instructor

I know I don't have to say much to you in this matter Jean as your know more about this stuff then most of us put together here but stick to Mahle P&Cs. I've gone through many many motors and I'm not proud about it but the factory stuff just works! I had JE in one of my motors and that didn't last too long. As well as a good friend of mine has them in his 3.8. They make a lot of noise as well.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:04 AM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The car will be easier to sell and cheaper to just throw in another set of the mahle 3.8's and be done with it.

Why not go to a motec setup? Would solve your tuning needs since there alot more people that can work on that than your current setup.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:11 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by biiig-hp
the thing I like is that the motor makes great power @ .08 bar and it doesn't work all that hard.
Typo??

0.80 bar correct??
Old 01-12-2011, 07:54 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jean, wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to send it to RC here in the UK? I know the JUDD engine dyno time would be pricey if it needed mapping. But if you use identical parts, and have the heads machined the same as the old ones, why would you need it mapped again anyway?
Old 01-13-2011, 03:48 AM
biiig-hp
Instructor

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Typo??

0.80 bar correct??
opps!
Old 01-13-2011, 05:12 AM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Part it and don't look back.........the 993 no matter how modified will not hold a candle to similar or less modified 997GT2 or as Holmes said" he can't hold my jockstrap" and your post does have a lot of respect but hardly any enthusiasm left for the old shoe.

Funny, I used to live in Beirut for a brief time in the early eighties, Broumana (spelling ?) to be exact, I bet it is a lot safer now.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:34 AM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Jean.

Nice to hear from you.

I finally got my TT - Protomotive upgrade set up correctly by John at Protosports in NJ.
You might want to ask them about some options.... as you know they work closely with Todd.
Not to compare to yours, my car runs great now, I never get tired of the low end torque.

Quick Reply: Go back to 3.6TT engine or fix Protomotive 3.8TT twin plug beast?