Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A tough decision...appreciate your thoughts on my 1997 993TT

Old 12-23-2010, 10:01 PM
993 Guy
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Default A tough decision...appreciate your thoughts on my 1997 993TT

So here I am again...I have a beautiful 993TT in the garage after spending extensive time and money getting the car to where it needs to be (as per what some people think are my "crazy" standards).

I'm at a bit of a crossroad whereas I'm considering consolidating my 993TT and M3 Conv into a single car that I can drive on a daily basis (997TT or 997.2 Cab).

Most of my time is spent in the M3 as it's my daily and I don't get to drive the Porsche much at all.

I'd like to have a Porsche that I can use as a daily and enjoy on the weekends with my wife and kids.

Anyway...so that is where my head currently is and I want to get a gauge as to where you would price my 993TT before I officially consider listing it.

Here are the details...

1997 993 TT - Black/Black
56k mi
M030/Bilstein HD (complete alignment just performed)
Full CF Interior
Alum Gauge Faces
3 spoke steering wheel
OEM Hardback Sport Seats (in excellent condition)
Strut bar
Alum/CF shifter & eBrake
OEM Euro Turbo S front bumper (no bumperettes)
Turbo S ducts w/fogs
Clear corner markers
Litronics
OEM Nokia HiFi DSP Audio System
CD Changer
Fister Ceramic Coated Mufflers w/wide ovals
Custom integrated Radar/Laser install
OEM Hollow Spokes w/MPS
Brand New OEM Floor Mats
Professionally Detailed (fully documented over 3 days) and new OEM 3M clear film installed on rear fenders

(Fikse F10's with brand new PZero Rosso's (235/315) will be sold separately)

Mechanically the car has recently been fully serviced including a top end rebuild by DeMan Motorsport.

New steering rack was installed as well as a new OEM ECU to replace a unit that was reprogrammed in 1998.

Here are some pictures I shot today before bringing it to DeMan for winter preparation and storage.

Where would you price my Turbo if you were to place it on the market? Am I nuts to even consider this?

Feel free to talk me off the cliff... :-)

Appreciate your feedback and input as me parting with it is still in question.

Thanks
Attached Images             

Last edited by 993 Guy; 12-24-2010 at 02:55 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:10 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. I think the car is worth $60K. If you don't want it sell it. I'm guessing you'll regret it though...

2. I think that Porsche does not make the car you describe, mainly because the rear seats in a 911 are too small. The M3 convertible seems like the right car for you needs.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:19 PM
993 Guy
Pro

Originally Posted by pstoppani
1. I think the car is worth $60K. If you don't want it sell it. I'm guessing you'll regret it though...

2. I think that Porsche does not make the car you describe, mainly because the rear seats in a 911 are too small. The M3 convertible seems like the right car for you needs.
Appreciate your thoughts and had a low $60k number in my head in terms of what I would take to part with it.

In terms of a daily, I have young children and I rarely have occasion where I need a bigger back seat than the 911 has. I helped my neighbor with 3 children pick up an 09 C4S to use as his daily and he absolutely loves it.

The kids get so excited to ride in it (his wife has a minivan and my wife has a SUV) so while not exactly spacious, it does work in application.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:50 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 210 Posts

IMHO I would not sell it. You will never find one to replace it in the future when your ready to get another. Sell the M3 and get a 328I or other car fitting a DD. That is a beautiful 993tt. Well optioned and maintained. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:08 PM
Bergamasco
Rennlist Member

The figure that comes to mind for me is $65k as a starting point if you are going to sell it at the start of the season. I think you really need to drive the other cars that you are talking about and drive your own again, too. Give yourself some time to think this one through. You obviously know that the value of the others will head south pretty fast. Have you considered replacing the M3 with a 996TT. These offer amazing value right now and are really quite nice in many respects. This would also allow you to keep your 993 if you are still really fond of it.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:10 PM
midcont
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 28 Posts

I was in the same position as you car wise a few years ago with an e46 m3 cab and the turbo, since replaced with an m6 cab and I think its really the best position to be in.
Because of young kids my time with the turbo is limited but that makes it all the more special and my 4 yr old son loves it
I would think consolidating it to one car, even a new turbo would be less fun, and subjecting one of those cars to daily duties would make it less special
Its funny, my turbo is set up almost exactly the same as yours options and upgrade wise. Would love to see it.
I'm thinking of a 997 turbo (used) as my next dd but only if I keep the old one also
Old 12-23-2010, 11:23 PM
scosurf
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 56 Posts

I was in that same position, I only changed to go up to a Ruf. You have put lots of time and effort in the car, you know the car and history, do want an unknown?? It will be hard to replace and come spring you will regret it. Just my 2 cents thanks Bob
Old 12-23-2010, 11:32 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

^^ +1 Listen to Bob. That's a beautiful car and other than the wheels, pretty much a clone of mine both inside and out before it went to RUF.
Old 12-24-2010, 05:24 AM
Stewart
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Later water pumping turbos are so common now. Your 993tt looks great and unless you have to move it on, I wouldn't. The later cars are hugely fast, comfortable, safe, etc, but can feel like you're driving a regular (powerful) saloon. Not such a sense of occasion.
Old 12-24-2010, 06:13 AM
parsonii
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it's a stunning car and and in excellent shape. like you're thinking, low 60's is about right. tell us why it needed a top end rebuild with only 56k on the odometer?
Old 12-24-2010, 07:30 AM
scosurf
Racer

I can answer that, a over rev at the track was the probale cause. If you really want out I might have a friend who would be interested. But I would take it out on the taconic once more before it is put away for the winter, I bet you will come to your senses. Happy Hoidays Bob
Old 12-24-2010, 08:19 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't sell it! The day will come, when you have a little more time to drive & enjoy the car. Wait for it. Low $60's sounds right. Black/black is very desirable. The sport seats and carbon fiber will be the "deal maker" for the next potential buyer. Having a fresh (and fully documented) top-end done by a known Porsche expert makes this car a no-brainer for the next buyer and truely sets your car apart in a busy market place. With the seats (+$2K), fresh top-end (+$10K) and mileage adjustment, it's like getting the car for the mid $40's ($60-$12ish=mid $40's).
Old 12-24-2010, 08:47 AM
993 Guy
Pro

Thanks guys...I really appreciate the feedback and perspective.

Bob...thanks for your thoughts especially given that this was previously your car and you know the efforts that have gone into it.

Brian, that cigarette lighter plug from Blackie makes the value of my TT increase exponentially. Thanks again for passing it along...

I may be just feeling the end of season blues here in the Northeast with the car going into storage while I drive the M3 (with Blizzaks) exclusively through the winter.

I'll continue to see where my gut takes me on this and keep you all in the loop (if I do decide to part with it, you'll all be the first to know).

Happy Holidays and Happy New Year!
Old 12-24-2010, 10:50 AM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

E, don't sell, even if you consolidate to the car you think you want/need, there will be a time when you're driving that consolidated car that you'll say: Damn! I wish I was driving my tt instead, HH & HNY, S
Old 12-24-2010, 11:12 AM
scosurf
Racer

My friend is on the sidelines if you do lose your senses again, hope you all have a merry Christmas, Bob

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A tough decision...appreciate your thoughts on my 1997 993TT