Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A tough decision...appreciate your thoughts on my 1997 993TT

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 11:46 AM
993 Guy
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Simon...I have no doubt that you're right as I've been in the same position with my former 993's. In hindsight, I always miss the unique qualities that came with each of these wonderful machines. Can't be duplicated in the modern Porsches...but at the same time there are benefits to the modern cars which we all know about.

Bob...losing my senses seems to be a more frequent occurrence as I'm getting older!

Will keep you posted as if I decide to go down the "you'll regret it" route, I'd love to see the car stay in the "family" so to say.

Happy and a Healthy to all of you and your families.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:04 PM
uicnick
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I say do not sell it. Consider my appreciation for a timeless automobile. Why purchase a newer, more generic model in my opinion less character than an older model. Remeber the click of the door when you close it. Think about the shapely rear fender and curves of the spoiler and then look at a newer 911turbo. You just can't compare. Considering the work you've got in it (diggin' on the CF bits btw) I think you should keep what you've got. I've also been a bit of a secret admirer of your car especially with the fikse wheels ; )

Perhaps you should consider investing in some winter tires and compare the cost of driving during the winter to a new car. I drive my car on nicer winter days. The car was engineered to manage with all weather conditions, including light snow, I say what better way to appreciate that engineering than driving it in the winter. I can tell your car standards are high by the description of your mods/maint. and I can relate. I manage to maintain my sanity my washing frequently, especially if it's salty out and I try not to drive when it's a snow storm, only when it's dry.

Keep us posted!
Old 12-24-2010, 01:32 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 247 Posts

sell the BMW, buy an E55 and keep the 993.....
Old 12-24-2010, 02:49 PM
Al Pettee
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

DON'T sell it.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:32 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,040 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Here's another perspective...

We all love these cars so all the "don't sell" votes are warranted. Yours seems like a very special car. It's perfect to my taste in every respect...black/black, sport seats, full carbon and a fresh top end. It won't be easy to part with. But as you pointed out, this is not the first special car you've own and I'm sure it won't be the last. I've owned seven aircooled Porsches (four 993s and one 930) and I was saddened to see each one of them go. But I had reasons to sell when I did and there's always another one. Your biggest risk is that it will take longer and more $$$ to get another special car down the road. That's not a bad price to pay to accommodate your current needs better. All else being equal, I'd venture to guess 99% of people on this board wouldn't trade a 993TT for a 997TT. But if you're not using the 993TT and you want something you can enjoy every day and with your family, consolidating to a 997TT seems perfectly logical to me. The best part is that you're not in a rush to sell and you have several months to arrive at a decision that makes sense for you and your family. Good luck.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:57 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't sell it:

You'll regret it. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your life.
Old 12-24-2010, 05:07 PM
polarturbo
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 for those pro not selling it. +1 more for Chuck W.
Old 12-25-2010, 03:14 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

60-65k would be a safe bet. The mods might spook some buyers. I personally love the 993tt, but a 997tt is a much better DD and will fulfill all of your needs. I vote sell.
Old 12-25-2010, 11:12 AM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

993 Guy...I'm in north Jersey and have been looking for a 993TT for a few years now off and on. If you haven't driven a 997TT come on over and take my car for a spin...you will love it.

If you decide you do want to sell your car perhaps we can chat about that as well.
Old 12-25-2010, 11:43 AM
993 Guy
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by raclaims
993 Guy...I'm in north Jersey and have been looking for a 993TT for a few years now off and on. If you haven't driven a 997TT come on over and take my car for a spin...you will love it.

If you decide you do want to sell your car perhaps we can chat about that as well.
Thanks for the kind offer...I'll shoot you a PM as I have a feeling we're probably a town or two over from one another.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:01 AM
Q
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

993 Guy
Having parted with 2 x 993TT's ......all I can say is DON'T do it.

Replacing 993's over the last 5-10 years has been easy, but given their age, it is becoming harder to find a good one .....
When you realise your mistake, and want to buy back in, replacing with one as good as yours will be hard, or expensive, or both.

Save a little money, upgrade the BMW to something you will enjoying doing the daily grind in, keep the 993TT.

If you do sell, feel free to PM me in the future when you want to hear a "I TOLD YOU SO"
Old 12-29-2010, 08:04 AM
Q
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Some motivational posters for you

Old 12-29-2010, 09:57 AM
DM993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The longer you hold onto that 993tt the easier it"ll be for you to trade even on a nice 997tt. I'll take the under on 4 years.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:18 AM
DontLift
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 24 Posts

The ability to have a car as a daily driver that makes you smile when you think about your drive to the office; the drive home .... Everyday ..... Is rare - and in many way a huge stress reducer Your 993 is a great car, but wouldn't you rather be able to drive an exceptional car everyday, mile after mile? You have that opportunity with a properly set up 997.

Why compromise on the bulk of your driving? That is not a rational tradeoff in my book - especially considering you are sacrificing a few weekend blasts when you can have BOTH a daily blast and a weekend warrior - in one car.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:34 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,405 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by DM993tt
The longer you hold onto that 993tt the easier it"ll be for you to trade even on a nice 997tt. I'll take the under on 4 years.
997TTs are dipping into the high $70s already. I say in under 2 years, a nice 997TT and nice 993TT will be in parity.

Originally Posted by stef430
The ability to have a car as a daily driver that makes you smile when you think about your drive to the office; the drive home .... Everyday ..... Is rare - and in many way a huge stress reducer Your 993 is a great car, but wouldn't you rather be able to drive an exceptional car everyday, mile after mile? You have that opportunity with a properly set up 997.

Why compromise on the bulk of your driving? That is not a rational tradeoff in my book - especially considering you are sacrificing a few weekend blasts when you can have BOTH a daily blast and a weekend warrior - in one car.
By going down to one car, you compromise on both ends. You don't have as enjoyable a weekend car, and you don't have as comfy a daily car.

I don't necessarily agree with the idea of an M3 daily and 911 weekend car.

I go huge boat thats as comfy as possible for the week, and the pure car for the weekend.

Furthermore, when you have 2 cars, you have the option of driving the "fun" car whenever you want...whether you choose not to is a personal decision.

I doubt I could ever go back to one car, but if I did, its tough to beat a 997TT

Quick Reply: A tough decision...appreciate your thoughts on my 1997 993TT