Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter Projects: 2010-2011

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 08:55 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Been away a while, but have most everything removed from the back of the car to fix:

New lower Valve Covers & gaskets (anybody want to buy a set of billet ones?)
Replace timing chain gaskets
Replace noisy lifters (gonna do all of them)
Replace all turbo lines from UMW
Replace all belts
Replace Intercooler to turbo rubber hoses
Detail engine bay

**** boy (me) has already gotten everything apart, cleaned everthing, beadblasted the cast aluminum heater parts and dusted them with clear coat.

I'm still trying to figure out how to polish the exhaust parts...hey, I've got til March after all

Scott
Old 12-21-2010, 04:25 AM
parsonii
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CincyScott
Been away a while, but have most everything removed from the back of the car to fix:

New lower Valve Covers & gaskets (anybody want to buy a set of billet ones?)
Replace timing chain gaskets
Replace noisy lifters (gonna do all of them)
Replace all turbo lines from UMW
Replace all belts
Replace Intercooler to turbo rubber hoses
Detail engine bay

**** boy (me) has already gotten everything apart, cleaned everthing, beadblasted the cast aluminum heater parts and dusted them with clear coat.

I'm still trying to figure out how to polish the exhaust parts...hey, I've got til March after all

Scott

you know scott we don't believe you ... we think you're sitting on your butt and leaving all that grime on your engine. you should post a pic
Old 12-21-2010, 11:07 AM
DM993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Taj
I'm halfway through a turbo swap, k16 to K24. I've just removed the cats and can see the K16 exhaust turbines. i have to say Basal Skulls DIY write up is superb. I am working in a pretty cramp space but its doable.

Will let you guys know when i'm done.

Taj.
Hate to burst your bubble - but you are not halfway done at least until the old turbos are off. Best of luck with the studs.

I will say it is very rewarding with some new programming and K24's. I did this 2 years ago http://vimeo.com/3827242
...then removed the awd last year.

For me, it's gonna be an oil change and maybe get a good HD track video system in there.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:43 PM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 427 Likes on 204 Posts

I'm with Wanga,

I am installing the new striped oil and maybe put a can of compression in the engine!

Its summer down here (sort of) but in the holiday season - the car gets parked due to the double demerits and the holiday drivers!

Simon.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:43 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by DM993tt
Hate to burst your bubble - but you are not halfway done at least until the old turbos are off. Best of luck with the studs.
If you've never used Aerokroil (or just Kroil) as a penetrant/rust releaser/etc. you're really missing out. Worked great on my studs, just sprayed it liberally, waited overnight and they backed right off.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:27 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Taj
I'm halfway through a turbo swap, k16 to K24. I've just removed the cats and can see the K16 exhaust turbines. i have to say Basal Skulls DIY write up is superb. I am working in a pretty cramp space but its doable.

Will let you guys know when i'm done.

Taj.
Cool, glad it's helpful!
Done some chip/paint repairs, got myself a tank of nitrogen to fill all my wheels (I have 4 sets!) and play with the nitrogen pressures in the Motons, adjusted/relubed the rear sways, changed oil/filters, flushed the brakes, and polished some pits out of my windshield.
I've ordered this evening: W Dempseys book on rebuilding engines and B Andersons Performance handbook - which should be here next week for some reading over the holidays...also realized there's quite a few videos on youtube about working on/machining etc 911 engines.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:21 AM
Taj
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will say it is very rewarding with some new programming and K24's. I did this 2 years ago http://vimeo.com/3827242
...then removed the awd last year.
Dave you were right, I managed to get 5 of the 6 nuts freed off between the turbos and the header, and then I came to the last nut, and I ended up rounding it off due to poor access and corrosion. I decided to dremel it off using grinding attachments. I am nearly there but managed to wear down all my grinding bits, so need to get new ones today.

It has really annoyed me that previous garages that have worked on this car have not used porsche parts. The nuts vary in size between a 11 and a 12. The studs are not porsche......disgraceful! I have invoices from the past, so I know who last replaced the turbos..
Old 12-22-2010, 08:35 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 307 Likes on 249 Posts

quad - how many miles were on your car when you bought it?
Old 12-22-2010, 11:11 AM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Car is in storage for the winter season.

I do have GT2 cams and pauter rods sitting on my desk
Old 12-22-2010, 11:14 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,406 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by Taj
Dave you were right, I managed to get 5 of the 6 nuts freed off between the turbos and the header, and then I came to the last nut, and I ended up rounding it off due to poor access and corrosion. I decided to dremel it off using grinding attachments. I am nearly there but managed to wear down all my grinding bits, so need to get new ones today.

It has really annoyed me that previous garages that have worked on this car have not used porsche parts. The nuts vary in size between a 11 and a 12. The studs are not porsche......disgraceful! I have invoices from the past, so I know who last replaced the turbos..
http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-19250-St.../dp/B000P0TZZG

Never seen a tool work this well. I had been heating and pb blasting my studs for days, and got no where. 2 seconds with these tools and they threaded out like butter.

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
quad - how many miles were on your car when you bought it?
Roughly 68k

Quick Reply: Winter Projects: 2010-2011