Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

History on my newly purchased car...

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 03:39 PM
DougM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default History on my newly purchased car...

I just purchased a '96tt and I do not have a full history on the car. I know where the car has resided in the past from the CARFAX. Unfortunately, dealers will not give any service info due to privacy issues these days.
I figure it doesn't hurt to take a shot and see if anyone here knew any previous owners. The car is 1996 black/tan with serial number ending in ts375501. It has wood shift **** and handbrake. The car shows no accident history but ar some point the front spoiler was updated to Turbo S look with the small lights in the duct.
From 1996-2002 history shows the car was in the Lansdale, PA and New York City area with some servicing at Manhatten Motor cars.
2002-2005 history shows the car was registered in Livingston TX.
2005-2006 it shows it registered in Torrance CA and serviced at Pacific Porsche.

I figure that there is a chance that someone here knew the car and possibly owner of the car and can help me find some more history.

Look forward to being part of this Turbo forum after many years and many other Porsches.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:50 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I remember such a car at manhattan motor cars a while back. I think they had it a long time and sold it very cheap, 45-ish k I believe.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:48 AM
Bergamasco
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on the purchase of one of the finest cars. Tell us some more about it and send some pics, too. What is the mileage?
Old 09-02-2010, 08:34 AM
DougM
Three Wheelin'

Manhattan Motor Cars was a servicing dealer in 2000. They did not own it and sell it.
I will know more when I get it next week. Mileage is up there....in the mid 80's.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:14 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

It's too bad that a dealership won't give out the service history (if they in fact have it) and just BLOCK OUT the prior owners name, address, and any other sensitive info.

When I was looking for a Turbo last year, some dealerships did this for me, when I asked, and others confirmed certain questions (oil changes for example) I asked with specific maintenance, repairs, and mileage verbally over the phone.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:40 PM
DougM
Three Wheelin'

I have done that as well, but it's the California ones that are so strict. I told them I really don't car who owned the car, just what was done to it. They still wouldn't tell me.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:17 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Doug, what if you ask them very leading questions like, "Can you confirm it had an oil change in the year 199X or 200X". What would they say?
Old 09-03-2010, 08:08 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 403 Posts

congrats. If I were you I would be shopping for an aluminum shifter and handbrake
did you have a ppi done? if so what were the leakdown numbers?
what are you specifically looking for in service history? a car with 80 k you might as well change all the fluids, belts and other wear items. you must have some pics you can post...as per forum rules
oh yeah I almost fogot you did get the fastest colour
Old 09-03-2010, 10:38 PM
DougM
Three Wheelin'

Delivery is scheduled for Thursday, so I will get pics later next week. No PPI done... After 9 Porsches, 4 Ferraris, 2 NSX's and no PPI's ever, I guess I am still rolling the dice. I am an impatient and spontaneous buyer.
I purchase drivers, and as long as the car is driven on a regular basis and the price is right, I try it out. I do a lot of my own work so I usually expect something to pop up. If it needs some major work, then I know the car will have many miles ahead after the work is done.
Quite honestly, I was not even looking for a 993tt. I have a NA 993(which I sold yesterday to make room) and have been looking at 996tt's for quite a while but could not pull the trigger because I like the 993 body more. The 993tt is my favorite, but was always more than I wanted to spend. This car popped up at a great price and I jumped on it. My father had one when they were new and I always wish he kept it.
Black is also not my color of choice,even though it is my favorite color on a Porsche, because I drive it a lot and it is a pain to keep clean. For the price I got, beggars cant be choosers.
Will post pics when the car arrives.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:42 PM
DougM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Doug, what if you ask them very leading questions like, "Can you confirm it had an oil change in the year 199X or 200X". What would they say?
The service managers were nice, but they just aren't allowed to disclose anything unless that owner signs a paper allowing it. I even asked if they could give my contact number/email to the previous owner and see if they will contact me.
I guess when I get the car, I will push a little harder. Maybe a Rennlist, 6 Speed or Pelican member knows a salesman well who can contact the PO for me.
Old 09-04-2010, 02:34 PM
Bergamasco
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I like your style of making car purchases. Wishing you the best of luck with this one and looking forward to seeing the pics when you get them.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:53 PM
Receiver
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
congrats. If I were you I would be shopping for an aluminum shifter and handbrake
did you have a ppi done? if so what were the leakdown numbers?
what are you specifically looking for in service history? a car with 80 k you might as well change all the fluids, belts and other wear items. you must have some pics you can post...as per forum rules
oh yeah I almost fogot you did get the fastest colour
Sorry Danny but black is the fastest colour on the 996TT. On the 993TT it is midnight blue.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:37 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

^True, but only Senior Porsche Tech's are allowed to assemble the Arena Reds!

Quick Reply: History on my newly purchased car...