993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this normal wear/tear for 993TT????

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010 | 12:17 PM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

Default Is this normal wear/tear for 993TT????

Looking to purchase a 993TT and found one at a very good price with 28k miles. The shop that maintained the car since the current owner provided me with service records for the last 8k miles. Is this normal for a 993TT that is rarely driven and are most issues fixed at this point?

20,846 miles: 3 belts, hood support, pulley shims, air filter; low oil light was on requiring 1 quart of oil
20,990: AC service, transmission fluid change (notes say very dirty)
24,744: oil change
26,000: alignment
27,289: Oil leaking: valve cover gaskets; front timing cover gaskets; turbo vent oil vent lines replaced; interm crankshaft seal and cap o-ring replace; oil return line seal
27,469: front brake pads; turbo outlet rubber boots replaced

Again, if normal wear/tear I am ok. Car is immaculate but priced to move. I just don't want these issues to be an ominous sign for things to come....
Old 08-24-2010 | 12:36 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

You still need a PPI. What about the service records prior to the 20,846 mark?
Old 08-24-2010 | 12:40 PM
Robert993TT
Racer

Things ages inspite use or no use. In some respects it is better if the car is used regularly. You can probably count on to fix a few things no matter what state the car is in right now. Ask yourself if you bought a car to park it or intending to run it regularly. If you intend to do so later, I would rather buy a car that is used regularly from the start.
Old 08-24-2010 | 12:51 PM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

There are full records but this guy owned the car for the last 7 years and put on 8k miles. I spoke to the chief mechanic and he said this guy bought it and parked it taking small trips here and there. The car was always serviced by this mechanic at this shop while this owner had it. I know that oil leaks are a big headache with all things Porsche but if this guy stopped all leaks and replaced all these parts I guess my concern is if there is anything left to go?

The mechanic said the car has absolutely no issues. I was going to send it out for a PPI next week at a local dealer but I find dealers know less than independent shops....
Old 08-24-2010 | 12:52 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Originally Posted by bmwtmx
20,846 miles: 3 belts, hood support, pulley shims, air filter; low oil light was on requiring 1 quart of oil
Must have been lower than "1 quart" to make the warning light come on. FYI.
Old 08-24-2010 | 12:53 PM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

I think I must add that the price is very very aggressive. I really don't want to say much about that as I don't want anyone else buying it. But an immaculate 1996 993TT with 2 owners, full service history, no accidents or paintwork, for $61k seems almost too good to be true. I mean some dealers/people are asking up to $90k...I could throw money at this car all day long and not be at the asking price of a lot of other cars.
Old 08-24-2010 | 01:01 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Be patient. You must get a PPI done by a 3rd party, not currently associated with the car. Ask here for a trusted indy near the seller. Guys here will know and help you. If you are concerned about someone buying this out-from-under you (very unlikely and un-Rennlist like) just send out a few PM's to people near by.

Also, you should have about 10% of the purchase price ($6,000) in a "slush fund" for future sorting out after the purchase. You don't want to become car rich and cash poor after she comes home.
Old 08-24-2010 | 01:09 PM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

Agreed and thanks. Should have PPI done next week....I'll post for help in locating someone.
Old 08-24-2010 | 02:36 PM
Receiver
Rennlist Member

I'd say that everything excluding the 20xxx visits are relatively normal. Did the previous owner buy the car at 20,000 miles and are the 2 first services his attempt to deal with issues that he found when he bought it? The red light for low oil is a big concern. The dirty transmission fluid is an indicator of possible neglect.

These cars are very reliable if they have been properly maintained. No PPI will tell you the real condition of this engine and transmission even with leakdown and compression tests. These are the best indicators available and nothing more. The real key is to find a car that has been properly maintained by all of the previous owners with records to prove it.
Old 08-24-2010 | 04:35 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Seems excessive but who knows? The diff/trant oil is good for 50,000 miles according to the manual, Streather, etc........maybe a bit of milking goin' on here??
Old 08-24-2010 | 07:14 PM
mausone46
Racer

Sometimes I wonder how many 993 TT with so low miles are in the USA.
And when I see that kind of problem this car have with that low miles, I'm starting to be prudent what some people say.
ciao Giorgio
Old 08-25-2010 | 10:02 AM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

Well I am walking from the car. After looking over the previous seems it had an engine replacement, 4 batteries, 2 new wiring harnesses, transmission rebuild, and more. All by 17k miles Although the car might be in great shape now I fear for these types of problems without a warranty.
Old 08-25-2010 | 10:19 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Originally Posted by bmwtmx
Well I am walking from the car. After looking over the previous seems it had an engine replacement, 4 batteries, 2 new wiring harnesses, transmission rebuild, and more. All by 17k miles Although the car might be in great shape now I fear for these types of problems without a warranty.
Sounds like the first (early owner) beat the pi$$ out of the car. Don't be discouraged. There is always a better car, for you, just around the corner. Your due diligence will pay off. Enjoy & embrace the hunt. It is a very fun part of the overall process.

Quick Reply: Is this normal wear/tear for 993TT????