Sponsored by:

Smokie and the Bandit

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 05:16 PM
UserA
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Smokie and the Bandit

Uggh, I have been bitten by the Fog machine Smoking issue on the 1996 TT I just purchased in the spring.

The car went in for an oil change and the tech overfilled it by 2-3 quarts which I didn't notice for a couple of days. The IC had a half a quart in it when they removed it and the plugs were fowled as a result of the first fogging.

Dropped the level to the bare minimum and replaced the filters with the correct ones, I think Mahles were installed the first time, but it is still smoking. The car had 996 check valves in it already and I am just looking for any other remedies before I start replacing expensive parts.

As a note, the car drives great and has no issues if driven daily, but if it sits for 2-3 days or more i get the tell tale two small puddles of oil under the mufflers and at start up the car hemmorages smoke for 3 minutes like a crop duster. Before the overfill the car sat for weeks at a time without even a puff at startup.

The car is at a very reputable Indy in my area, but I figured it never hurt to enlist the Rennlist brain trust before the checkbook flies away.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:10 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 334 Likes on 224 Posts

With that much oil you have to clean the IC and inlet ducts.

You might have to spin on a new Porsche oil filter> Again..

Check my post about my new Sump tank lines kit...
Old 08-23-2010, 08:45 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 281 Likes on 190 Posts

That's quite an over fill. I got the occasional puff of smoke on start-up by being at 3/4 level and some oil around IC hoses after lots of 0.8 boost runs. Dropping the level below 1/2 on the dipstick solved it. Good luck. This seems to be real common for newish tt owners.

Quick Reply: Smokie and the Bandit