Considering Purchasing a Modified 993 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 06:14 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

Yasin

There isnt enough info about this engine. You would want to know if the internals have been modified or whether it is still running stock everything.

For this level of tune, I doubt they have rebuilt the engine and used stronger components, besides turbos, MAF, ECU, cams, and probably exhaust/headers and dual valve springs. There is usually no need for more, and generally no other tuner rebuilds internals for this power level, which are similar to an R Turbo. What you would need to ensure is that the ECU is not tuned aggressively (timing, boost, AFRs), Prototech have a certain reputation for pushing the envelop a bit too far but I have nothing to substantiate that.

If this engine has internals modified, then it is almost for sure the same as most other Pedigree (!) tuners listed above, Carillos or Pauter rods, bearings, head sealing rings, blueprinting, valve train...better dual springs, TI retainers, Bronze valve guides and some porting, Head bolts..they mainly keep the stock oil pump, or rarely go to a GT3 pump to be on the safe side. Also for these HP levels they stick with a single 044 fuel pump, or even stock pump and larger injectors and 5Bar FPR. A vast choice of camshafts is available and they are called whatever they chose to. Most of them use RS cams or GT2 cams for higher output.

Then it comes down to choice of turbos by the tuner, which can be called Motorsport, or GT1 or GT2 or hybrids or Kalachnikovs...They are basically either Borg Warner, Garrett or hybrids either/or and alternatively with Mitsubishi wheels....None of the tuners use Motorsports Heads or intercooler, or crankshaft or case...Hype. Except for higher HP levels, and they are none of the builders listed above.

A conservative and proper ECU tuning is fundamental.

Make sure you have good leak down and compression numbers, check out oil leaks, let the car get really hot and check oil pressure.

If you have details please post.
Good luck.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:42 PM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 321 Likes on 151 Posts

Aweome reply Jean...typical of the high standard of your posts.

I am unsure if the engine has been cracked open and forged hither or thither added, not even sure if double valve springs or more aggressive cams are in the motor. Car is leak free and dry as the desert underneath, which is nice, the headers and the Garrett turbos acutually make it look like an oasis..LOL!

I will hopefully know all these details this week, apparently the build spec looks very good with many pages of $$ spent and what went into the upgrades. I am with you on the PPI, leak down %, compression psi and also the oil pressure.

I did notice that the deck lid had to be shimmed about 1/8" on both sides to clear the larger intercooler and the wire mesh on the deck lid removed as well.

That is great info to know that Prototech is a little aggressive with their timing and boost, even if it is just pub talk.

I wish the damn car had a AFR gauge or EGT gauge in it, and of course I do not have my Innovate LM1 at my finger tips. I am unsure how "agreeable" the owner will be to dyno the car and log boost and AFRs even with me paying for it....he might tell me to pound sand but maybe he might be intrigued himself..I will delicately mention this.

Stay tuner brother more to come!
Yasin
Old 08-23-2010, 07:21 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slownrusty
Laughing when your signature says you sold an Andial 3.8L car....scratching my head!
I'm just thanking my lucky stars he sold it to me!
Old 08-23-2010, 09:31 PM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 321 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by bb993tt
I'm just thanking my lucky stars he sold it to me!
Right on....its sexy...wow!

Quick Reply: Considering Purchasing a Modified 993 Turbo