Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 12:07 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 156 Posts
Default Considering Purchasing a Modified 993 Turbo

Guy - I went to look at this '96 33K miles car today:

Sorry for the awful Blackberry picture.

It is a 12plug car, with Garrett Turbos, Twin MSD 6AL boxes and coils, Prototech headers and muffler, Prototech intercooler and TiAL wastegates. Car is putting down 500hp.

I did not get to drive it, but will do so hopefully next week. Paint is not bad (a little peppered on the front with a few scratches here and there), interior is decent and grey in color, no oil leaks and looks like someone spent a massive amount of $$$ on it at some point.

What do you think? Run or would you consider it if a PPI checks out?
Thanks!!
Yasin
Old 08-21-2010, 12:50 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Yasin,

It's really hard to assess. The main thing is... who did the mods? How much can you rely on this tuner to build something that will hang together over the long haul. If you are looking for a 500HP TT, and recognize it will need more care (and likely a few more breakdowns) than a stock TT, and you have a high risk tolerance, this may be a good deal if it checks out. But there are a lot of unknowns here.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:43 AM
parsonii
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how much do they want for the car yasin?
Old 08-21-2010, 06:56 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ca993twin
Yasin,

It's really hard to assess. The main thing is... who did the mods? How much can you rely on this tuner to build something that will hang together over the long haul. If you are looking for a 500HP TT, and recognize it will need more care (and likely a few more breakdowns) than a stock TT, and you have a high risk tolerance, this may be a good deal if it checks out. But there are a lot of unknowns here.
Thanks Steve - Agreed on the reliability point that you have raised. I will know about the build sheet on the car next week when I go for a test drive and more thorough review of the car's records. I am not prepared to buy a ticking time bomb. I own a beautiful modified '89 930 that starts first go after sitting for 2 months and has never let me down in 6 years of ownership, so I am not prepared to sacrifice reliability and will walk away from a car that does not give me the warm and fuzzies.

Originally Posted by parsonii
how much do they want for the car yasin?
$65K
Old 08-21-2010, 11:48 AM
sfbanchs
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

send it in for a ppi i say go for it. these cars can run just as reliably when properly modified as stock, mods scare some away but i welcome them if tasteful, it will save you $$ in the long run if you plan on modifying it yourself
Old 08-21-2010, 01:58 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree, but the key word is "properly". I would pay particular attention to the ECU tune... did the tuner know and "properly" adjust for all of the mods on the car? If not, the EGT can be nuts, and the engine will not last. This is what makes "packages" (FVD, UMW, Protomotive and obviously Ruf) so attractive, at least to me.
Old 08-21-2010, 02:09 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

What are these parts:

"Twin MSD 6AL boxes and coils"

I hope it has an auxiliary oil cooler for all that HP.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:06 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
What are these parts:

"Twin MSD 6AL boxes and coils"

I hope it has an auxiliary oil cooler for all that HP.
Not sure on Aux. oil cooler..good point raised:

MSD box and coil:

Old 08-22-2010, 12:44 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

For that money I would be all over the Andial twin plug 993TT at RUF Dallas. Lower risk car, similar money, albeit higher mileage.

Personally, I would not buy a modified 993TT without some sort of pedigree - RUF, Andial, Kevin, etc. Not being a snob, just don't like unknowns.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:59 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas993
Personally, I would not buy a modified 993TT without some sort of pedigree - RUF, Andial, Kevin, etc. Not being a snob, just don't like unknowns.
As usual.... Patrick is right on spot.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:49 PM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

To be the devil's advocate doesn't Prototech, Protomotive and Mode (Bob Halcomb), Patrick Motorsports etc also have a defined pedigree and strong reputation? Would you not consider buying a car modified in these houses?

A few years ago Imagine Auto would have been on the list as well.
Old 08-22-2010, 03:08 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by slownrusty
To be the devil's advocate doesn't Prototech, Protomotive and Mode (Bob Halcomb), Patrick Motorsports etc also have a defined pedigree and strong reputation? Would you not consider buying a car modified in these houses?

A few years ago Imagine Auto would have been on the list as well.
Great question. And I really don't know the answer. I don't see a lot of 993TTs from Patrick Motorsports. But again, I don't claim to be the expert.

From a value perspective, there are only a few modified cars that retain their value in the long run. The ones I mentioned seem to retain value better - or at least they have a value that might be more than a comparable non-modified 993TT. As you know, some modified cars take huge depreciation hits because the buyer pool is so shallow.

Again, I don't claim to be any expert. Just my thoughts. And I really love my car and am happy with it in every aspect. I am lucky to have it - as are most of us in this section.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:17 PM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Porsche Motorsports developed a ton of go fast parts for the 993tt through the GT2 racing program. When I see nothing but aftermarket parts on a 993tt I'm thinking why?
Old 08-23-2010, 08:14 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Texas993
Great question. And I really don't know the answer. I don't see a lot of 993TTs from Patrick Motorsports. But again, I don't claim to be the expert.

From a value perspective, there are only a few modified cars that retain their value in the long run. The ones I mentioned seem to retain value better - or at least they have a value that might be more than a comparable non-modified 993TT. As you know, some modified cars take huge depreciation hits because the buyer pool is so shallow.

Again, I don't claim to be any expert. Just my thoughts. And I really love my car and am happy with it in every aspect. I am lucky to have it - as are most of us in this section.
I love your car as well...my favorite color too and having a RUF car is definitely awesome, no debate there my friend.

Originally Posted by JJayB
Porsche Motorsports developed a ton of go fast parts for the 993tt through the GT2 racing program. When I see nothing but aftermarket parts on a 993tt I'm thinking why?
Laughing when your signature says you sold an Andial 3.8L car....scratching my head!
Old 08-23-2010, 05:03 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

Andial used almost all motorsport parts.

Quick Reply: Considering Purchasing a Modified 993 Turbo