Sponsored by:

Rumbling noise: LSD?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 12:50 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by ronnie993tt
I was advised not to change the diff/tranny oil since the factory stuff has additives you can't get in replacement product. Also my manual says it's a 50,000 mile change item. Streather says if it's synthetic, it's good for the life of the car???..
Whomever is giving out that advice needs to have their wrenches taken away...
Old 09-07-2010, 07:33 PM
993Biturbo430
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took my mechanic for a ride in the car: of course it did not make that sound on that day, but we could hear a humming sound at idle, that he identified as coming likely from the hydraulic fluid pump. I asked him to check the fluid level: he had to add half a quart! Unless there is a leak, the guy (not my usual mechanic) who did the annual maintenance last year did not bother to check the hydraulic fluid; rascal!
Since then, I have not heard that noise again. It's weird that it was making that noise on left turns, but not on right turns. Anyway, for now at least I consider the cause of the noise identified, and the problem fixed. The annual maintenance is due next month, and I will have both the tranny and the LSD fluids replaced. And in future, I'll check myself the hydraulic fluid level.
Thanks to all the guys who posted with their suggestions!
Old 09-11-2010, 05:48 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

I hope he remembered to pump the clutch accumulator down before he filled it, otherwise it will be overfilled and make a big mess. (Don't ask how I know!)
Old 09-11-2010, 07:39 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 273 Likes on 183 Posts
Default Conflicting advice..

Originally Posted by GTgears
Whomever is giving out that advice needs to have their wrenches taken away...
Maybe but when faced with conflicting advice I default to Streather and the manufacturer's recommendation in the manual....
Old 09-12-2010, 11:39 PM
ncp
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the same "exact" symptoms. I'm fairly certain it's your clutch accumulator and/or slave master. Have you ever experienced issues with a stiff clutch? Without getting these checked and filling the reservoir in the rear engine compartment, it may end up overflowing and leaking in your trunk area up front.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:53 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by ronnie993tt
Maybe but when faced with conflicting advice I default to Streather and the manufacturer's recommendation in the manual....
That's your prerogative. After all, what do I know, I only manufacture the parts, have thousands of LSDs in the field with race wins in pretty much every amatuer and pro arena where Porsches are raced, and am inundated with GT3 owners asking me to fix the manufacturer's handiwork.
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...sd-buster.html

Hell, when you use ridiculously long service intervals on your oil changes and wear out your gearbox prematurely, it's good for my business. Go right ahead and neglect your car if you wish...
Old 09-14-2010, 11:30 PM
993Biturbo430
Intermediate

911/Q45: thank you for your input, as I don't think that he pumped the accumulator down!

NCP, you might just have hit right on it! I bought the car with 30 k miles on it, and from day one, the clutch has always been very heavy, but I assumed that this was just the way it is, as I had never driven a 911 before buying this one. Prior to buying the car, we had a look at it, and there was oil under the carpet in the front boot, like oil had been sprayed.
We did ask about it, and the seller said that he had placed a quart of motor oil there, that had leaked. We did not believe it, as it was not consistent with a spray, but no one could find the cause of it; the car always worked fine, and I have not had any trouble with it, other than the infamous fogging after a lay-up.
The car is back in the workshop as the bushing of the angular joint ball cup of the shift linkage disintegrated, resulting in a non-operating gear shift (happened when driving out of my garage: God does seem to protect the innocents); so in addition to replacing the angular joint, changing the tranny and LSD fluids, and having the annual maintenance done, I am going to ask the mechanic to check the clutch accumulator and the "slave master" [do you mean the clutch master cylinder - 993.423.171.50.M33- or (heavens-forbid) the slave cylinder 993.116.237.52.M100?]. By the way, would that oil spray be consistent with the clutch accumulator, or with the other part, or could it be either (or both?)?
Many thanks for your input, as I think you have helped me solve that oil spray riddle that has been haunting me ever since I bought the car.

Last edited by 993Biturbo430; 09-15-2010 at 07:13 AM.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:21 AM
ncp
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Biturbo 430, got your email. To the contrary, if it's a stock clutch, it should actually be on the light side. Based on your explanation, I'm certain its your accumulator and likely the slave cylinder. If the slave is not a problem now, it will become an issue once you replace the accumulator, as the new accumulator seems to place a lot of increased pressure on the old slave which quickly goes bad soon after. So standard protocol is to replace both regardless of whether you think its one or the other. It isn't cheap or easy to get in there, but whatever you do, don't do one without doing the other. I made the mistake of not listening to the advice of those much wiser than me when my accumulator went bad and replaced only the accumulator on my wrenches advice. A year later, I was back in there replacing the slave. Hope that helps.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:54 AM
993Biturbo430
Intermediate

ncp, thank you for your reply and for your advice, I will follow it. Ouch, it's going to be painful!
Old 09-15-2010, 04:34 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

The Pentosin in the trunk guarantees that it is a bad slave.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:33 PM
993Biturbo430
Intermediate

Is it possible to recondition a bad slave cylinder?
And what causes a slave cylinder to go bad?
Old 09-15-2010, 07:59 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

New and only from Porsche. Age and poor design.

Quick Reply: Rumbling noise: LSD?