Sponsored by:

Checking intake system for Leaks

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 11:40 AM
DM993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Checking intake system for Leaks

I threw a MAF & Load Signal code after my last track outing. Intake leaks have been the only thing plaguing my car. In the manual, it says to "attach sealing plate 9264/1 with M4x40 bolts to the MAF and pressurize it to .5 bar. My problem is that I don't have a sealing plate. Does anyone know where to get one or have any ideas on how to DIY this??
Old 07-01-2010, 01:08 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hope depot is your friend!

Go to the pvc pipe section after measuring the outlet of the Y pipe (where the maf connects). Use a rubber pipe connector, clamp on the y pipe, and clamp the other on the pvc pipe caps they sell. Prior to putting the cap on you need to drill and install an air hose connection with threads. Put some thread tape or something similar to keep it from leaking. You can pick up that connector at a auto parts store if the hardware store doesn't have one. Then you need to pressurize the system to slightly above what you run under full boost. I find the best way is to have an portable air tank with a gauge for this. Once that happens and everything is hooked up just listen very carefullly On these engines i find there are leaks by the intakes to each cylinder or where the IC meets the throttle body & the IC inlets off the turbo side.

Hope that helps!
Old 07-01-2010, 03:10 PM
DM993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Seems easy enough. Sounds like a fun little project. Thanks a million. I was thinking of going there anyway and making one of THESE anyway.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:27 PM
wagongotya
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

i always pull the motor when i pressure test
Old 07-02-2010, 10:51 AM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wagongotya
i always pull the motor when i pressure test
Whatever you say tiny fenders