Sponsored by:

On the Hunt for a 993TT

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 07:21 PM
96_993TT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by beers4all
Now that I'm told by the seller that the car has indeed sold to someone else, I can pass along some details. That is indeed the car. Very pretty on the surface - especially in the old photos.

The car required a minimum top-end rebuild based on compression and leakdown numbers. Leaking from intake valves which might indicate guides but the further concern was the the original ECU may have been swapped for a 97 and I could be into something deeper like rings.

To complicate things a little further, the RUF (knock-off) bodykit (bumpers & rockers) needed to be swapped-out for OEM parts. I contacted the bodyshop where the work was performed and the owner (very nice guy btw) said that when they installed the rockers over the OEM one's, they used an epoxy resin along the bottom of the car and up the rear fenders. He wasn't 100% certain he could remove without having to repaint these areas.

It was a shame to say the least - a special car like this in such disarray. Add to this it needed the normal TLC, a suspension makeover etc. and it just didn't make a lot of sense to pursue it.

I made the seller a final offer on an "as-is" basis which was quite low and, frankly, I don't blame him for rejecting it. I followed-up with the seller but less than a day after my counter he said the car was sold. Hope the new owner got a PPI!

Cheers,
Bob
Wow, thanks for passing along the details. Just goes to show a proper PPI is worth every penny. Who did the PPI? Just curious as it sounds like they really know what they're doing. Always good to get feedback on great sources for PPI's in the area. Sad this car wasn't kept up better... Thanks!
Old 06-17-2010, 08:12 PM
beers4all
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 96_993TT
Wow, thanks for passing along the details. Just goes to show a proper PPI is worth every penny. Who did the PPI? Just curious as it sounds like they really know what they're doing. Always good to get feedback on great sources for PPI's in the area. Sad this car wasn't kept up better... Thanks!
It was Chris's German Auto in Bellevue - I posted a request in an earlier thread on the 993 board and they came recommended by a few - maybe even you Greg!
Old 06-17-2010, 08:40 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by meliscu
Good points. Will do. Look for pics in a week or so.

a WEEK? aw, come on....we can't wait that long! wanna see those 'S' pics!!
Old 06-17-2010, 09:24 PM
midcont
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts

its scary that a car with so few miles could be in such bad shape.
what does an owner have to do to damage a motor that badly with such mimimal operation?
Old 06-17-2010, 10:40 PM
meliscu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Parnelli
a WEEK? aw, come on....we can't wait that long! wanna see those 'S' pics!!
I am out of town. . . probably will have time this weekend.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:52 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 520 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by midcont
its scary that a car with so few miles could be in such bad shape.
what does an owner have to do to damage a motor that badly with such mimimal operation?
I think a missed shift will do it
Old 06-18-2010, 06:48 AM
beers4all
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Turbodan
I think a missed shift will do it
A 5th to 2nd gear (whoops) downshift had crossed my mind as well ...
Old 06-19-2010, 04:38 PM
meliscu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 96_993TT
I agree with No HTwo O. Become a member and start a new thread and post pictures. I'm looking for a 993TTS and would like to see pics. Inside and out color is important as well as condition, etc.

To the OP. Do you have a link to the car you were looking at. I have friends who may be interested in the car despite the issues. Grey is a great color on these cars. Thanks!
Here are the pictures I promised.
Attached Images                
Old 03-24-2011, 04:31 PM
beers4all
Rennlist Member

To revive an older thread .....
Darn, strike 2! Found the car, agreed on price and then another fail. Oh well, the search continues.

Quick Reply: On the Hunt for a 993TT