Sponsored by:

Long Overdue New Owner Intro with Overfill Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 08:41 PM
UserA
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Long Overdue New Owner Intro with Overfill Question

Here she is, 96 with cool two tone Dk Blue/Classic Gray interior. 60K miles, but not a single stone chip, only down side is a ghetto fabulous stereo and Amp/Woofer setup.

Two questions though, first is with overfill; I took the car to get an oil change because I was too busy (lazy) and they put a quart and a half too much in it. I removed it after 30 miles and got it back to normal, but now after it sits for a few days it spews white smoke on start up for 5 minutes then runs fine. I have also noticed two spots under the car that have come after the oil change and look to be more than a few drops. What is the fix for this?

My second question is about the wastegate, mine has aftermarket ones and I swear that they stay open too long under hard acceleration. If I feather the throttle the turbos spool up and stay at .8, but if I mash it they spool up to .8 and then it "feels" like I lose the boost for a second or two.

Any help on those is greatly appreciated.

Name:  IMG00057-20100605-0937.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  104.5 KB
Attached Images      
Old 06-05-2010, 10:29 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably a bad check valve in the small filter, if they overfilled they most likely made the filter too tight and ruined the check valve. Change the filter. Do you mean aftermarket diverter valves rather than wastegates? Could just need spark plugs.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:50 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 911/Q45
Probably a bad check valve in the small filter, if they overfilled they most likely made the filter too tight and ruined the check valve.
+1
check the sticky post at the top "have your 993tt turbocharger's failed" thread by Kevin.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:58 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 212 Posts

User, I hope you realize that you could be over-boosting from a stuck wastegate and not know it. As these cars age, it is getting common for the internal wastegate shaft to stick/freeze. You won't see the boost over .8 bars (gauge stops reading the over boost past .8bar)

With oil dripping on the ground you have oil in your inlet pipes and your intercooler. Do you have the engine tray on? If you do, it is full of oil.

Last but not least. Do NOT use your dash oil level gauge. Go and pull the dipstick to see what you oil level is. A 5 minute smoke show is killing your cats and coking up your turbine wheels. As Don has mentioned your plugs could have fouled out with the oil.

Quick Reply: Long Overdue New Owner Intro with Overfill Question