TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Congrats, looks like a great car!
Old 07-21-2010, 06:43 AM
parsonii
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

congrats tacker ....... look forward to seeing some pics and a driving impression. did you manage to get out to CA and test drive the car?
Old 07-21-2010, 09:31 AM
tacker
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

thanks guys
i went out to CA about 2 weeks back and test drove the car and had Hergesheimer do the PPI while I watched. The people over at Hergesheimer know this car inside and out and are a great to work with and made me feel very comfortable with the purchase. I've been researching the cars for about 5 months and learned a lot on this forum. I realized I couldn't buy a stock setup so I decided to look into cars that were modded the way that I would want. This car fits the bill to a tee. So I can't wait. Should see it soon. I will post specs and pics soon
Old 07-21-2010, 04:49 PM
beckertb
8th Gear

Congratulations. Looks like a great car!

ben
Old 07-21-2010, 08:18 PM
shaq93
AutoX

yea, that really is a nice car. cant wait until i become a radiologist and can afford one of these
Old 08-30-2012, 12:19 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default nice car

old thread, but curious how the car is working out for you, if you kept it etc.... Hope all going OK... any updates?
Old 08-30-2012, 02:45 PM
tacker
Racer

Where to start? After a couple of weeks of ownership i had a boost hose issue. no biggie. Then i notice the car was feeling low on power. After checking all hose connections I decided to bring the car to a Local well known Porsche shop.They check the plugs and noticed aluminum deposits on the electrodes. After waiting two months they remove the engine and disassemble. Most of the oil rings were broken and the tops of the pistons was rubbing on the heads. Detonation sucks!

Wait it gets better.

The shop started asking stupid questions about why the pistons extend into the cylinder heads and suggested that I convert back to a 3.6 and have custom pistons made. At this point I grabbed all the bits and pieces in totes and decided to rebuild the engine myself.

Using this forum as my resource and in particular Kevin's thread on engine building I proceeded. I own a machine shop so component inspection, tolerance verification and any specialized tooling second nature for me.

Build summary
case shuffle pined/windage relief/new squirters/oiling mods
Crank micro polish and oiling mods
heads welded and flame ring
all arp hardware
convert to mechanical rockers TI retainers and hi rev springs
EVO cams
New mahle 3.8 PCs
Rebuild k24s
Water methanol injection

I decided to add dual zt2 and tied the sensors into a Dash Daq
monitoring the following
Knock
AFR left /right
fuel pressure
Airbox temp
post compressor temp
IAT
boost pressure
Water/meth flow
Any OBD2 signal

After the first 1000 breaking miles I sent the car to Todd K for a tune.He discovered issues with the engine wiring harness that may have cause the detonation issue. hard to say for sure.I also added dual coils and upgraded the turbos to 18g hybrids. added a gretty boost controller as well. After 6months being at Todds, I got the car back and runs great.

1 month after getting the car back from Todd I added a second fuel pump based on Todds recommendations.And some different spark plugs

A month later, the new heavy duty Sachs clutch started slipping so I replaced it and while I'm in there, i decided to rebuild the LSD with a 6 plate set up from Guard. I also added a billet side cover.

I've done 2 DEs events and 2 more up coming. I plan on really testing the power at the Texas mile in October.

I'm still sliding down the slipper slope, just picked up some track tires,brake pads and now looking for a racing seat,harness and roll bar.

I don't drive the car much mostly because I don't find it enjoyable in daily traffic conditions. About 5k mike in 2 years.

Fortunately i enjoy working on it.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:29 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default wow

wow this is a LOT of stuff.... your so lucky you have the skills and facility to take on such a project as a normal owner would have been in a real ugly position... did the seller do the right thing in helping out at all? used car or not if I sold someone a skateboard and they had issues I would do the right thing....

I saw you even had a PPI done and they went throuygh the car in depth with you there? I am happy to hear you sound like your in good spirits even though all this...

I do wish you all the best in future ownership of this car and with all your hard work the car is now well sorted and brings you some great times!

Thanks for the follow up and detailed reply....

Originally Posted by tacker
Where to start? After a couple of weeks of ownership i had a boost hose issue. no biggie. Then i notice the car was feeling low on power. After checking all hose connections I decided to bring the car to a Local well known Porsche shop.They check the plugs and noticed aluminum deposits on the electrodes. After waiting two months they remove the engine and disassemble. Most of the oil rings were broken and the tops of the pistons was rubbing on the heads. Detonation sucks!

Wait it gets better.

The shop started asking stupid questions about why the pistons extend into the cylinder heads and suggested that I convert back to a 3.6 and have custom pistons made. At this point I grabbed all the bits and pieces in totes and decided to rebuild the engine myself.

Using this forum as my resource and in particular Kevin's thread on engine building I proceeded. I own a machine shop so component inspection, tolerance verification and any specialized tooling second nature for me.

Build summary
case shuffle pined/windage relief/new squirters/oiling mods
Crank micro polish and oiling mods
heads welded and flame ring
all arp hardware
convert to mechanical rockers TI retainers and hi rev springs
EVO cams
New mahle 3.8 PCs
Rebuild k24s
Water methanol injection

I decided to add dual zt2 and tied the sensors into a Dash Daq
monitoring the following
Knock
AFR left /right
fuel pressure
Airbox temp
post compressor temp
IAT
boost pressure
Water/meth flow
Any OBD2 signal

After the first 1000 breaking miles I sent the car to Todd K for a tune.He discovered issues with the engine wiring harness that may have cause the detonation issue. hard to say for sure.I also added dual coils and upgraded the turbos to 18g hybrids. added a gretty boost controller as well. After 6months being at Todds, I got the car back and runs great.

1 month after getting the car back from Todd I added a second fuel pump based on Todds recommendations.And some different spark plugs

A month later, the new heavy duty Sachs clutch started slipping so I replaced it and while I'm in there, i decided to rebuild the LSD with a 6 plate set up from Guard. I also added a billet side cover.

I've done 2 DEs events and 2 more up coming. I plan on really testing the power at the Texas mile in October.

I'm still sliding down the slipper slope, just picked up some track tires,brake pads and now looking for a racing seat,harness and roll bar.

I don't drive the car much mostly because I don't find it enjoyable in daily traffic conditions. About 5k mike in 2 years.

Fortunately i enjoy working on it.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:18 PM
AC/911's
Banned

Received 94 Likes on 49 Posts
Default 993TT

How much boost are you getting on 91? Have you dyno'd with new 18g's?
Old 08-30-2012, 05:03 PM
tacker
Racer

Oh I forgot to add Pauter rods and gt3 oil pump
Having a good attitude is mandatory is this type of situation.

Todd tuned the car up to 1.4 bar with 93 and water meth. I run about 1.1 to 1.2. At the track I run .9 because it's all I can use. Yes I have a dyno sheet. I will say the 18gs added 80hp over stock k24s
Old 08-31-2012, 01:23 PM
Slate993tt
Racer

"The shop started asking stupid questions about why the pistons extend into the cylinder heads and suggested that I convert back to a 3.6 and have custom pistons made. At this point I grabbed all the bits and pieces in totes and decided to rebuild the engine myself"

Umm yea, good move getting it away from those guys. So when the previous owner did the 3.8L Dual-Plug conversion the heads weren't welded? I only ask as I looked at the the ad/posts by the Hergeheimer guys and it said AASCO headwork. I guess I'm just shocked this wasn't done is all. None of that matters now as it sounds like you are in a good place now and really enjoying that beast!

Chad
Old 08-31-2012, 02:25 PM
tacker
Racer

the past build should of had the heads welded and upgraded rods. If I knew then what I know now! the learning Curve has been steep and expensive. welded heads or con rods had nothing to do with the detention issue. All you can do is a good PPI and after that is a crap shoot.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:42 PM
Hwyranger
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow,...Tacker, so did hergesheimer build a bad motor? That motor was suppose to freshly rebuilt to a 3.8l?
Old 08-31-2012, 03:28 PM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Detonation would have likely been caused by faulty meth injection, or a bad tune (too much timing).

Quick Reply: this looks like a great TT for sale