Evaluating Turbo Upgrade Kits

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 04:53 PM
tanger
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Evaluating Turbo Upgrade Kits

UPDATE:
Thanks for everyone's feedback - I ended up going with Protomotive's "kit": k16/16g, ecu, 5 bar FPR, and a bunch of other minor components (hose connections and the like). Took me a while to hit the 500 mile break-in recommended by Todd, but just wanted to post a data point for folks thinking about a turbo upgrade. This upgrade was exactly what I was looking for- complete driveability with a more/sooner low end grunt and stronger pull. Boost comes on 3k-ish and pulls hard almost all the way to redline. I didn't get a chance to dyno before/after, but it feels much MUCH quicker - probably forgot how fast it was stock since I've been driving w/o boost for 3 months . Really hard to keep my foot off the gas and out of jail territory.

Anyways, was great dealing with Todd and highly recommend the k16/16gs if you are just looking for a relatively cost-effective performance upgrade. A no-brainer if you are considering rebuilding your worn stock turbos.

Have spent the better part of the morning reading through old threads on turbo upgrades, as well as talked briefly with Kevin @ UMW and Todd @ Protomotive. As background, my 93tt needs its turbos rebuilt or replaced. Not a track car, so looking for upgrade that won't ruin street driveability (prefer low-end grunt vs ultimate HP).

Based on reading, I think for me comes down to deciding between Protomotive's k16/16g /ecu/FBR "kit" or Kevin's Stage 1 kit. Both get rave reviews, but there is a big price differential so just curious what people think (maybe there's someone out there that has experienced both).

Also, can I get a majority of the power benefit without going with sport cats and EBC to these (which I would add down the road as budget allows)?

TIA

Last edited by tanger; 06-28-2010 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Update!
Old 03-25-2010, 05:31 PM
Barney1
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a K16/16g kit and I love the drivability. Lots of TQ down low, and pleanty of grunt to red line. I have an EBC which helps you get the bottom end TQ and hold the boost steady till red line. I run 17psi with 93 octane fuel with no issues. I have a 5 bar regulator, larger mass air meter and a custom tune and NO cats with Fister "D" custom mufflers. She runs and sounds GREAT !!!!
Old 03-25-2010, 08:05 PM
msw
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 16 Posts

tanger

PM sent

msw
Old 03-26-2010, 11:06 AM
malcolmd
Racer

I have the UMW Stage 2 with the 130mm 100 Cell Cats. I cannot speak more highly of its drivability. I note no real perception of lag down low, and there is no doubt about the performance all the way through to the red line. Although my car rarely sees traffic these days, being used for weekend drives in the surrounding hills, and the monthly track meeting, my experience is that it remains placid and easy to drive in a day to day role. But in reality, if you are not tracking the car, it becomes pretty dangerous and a serious risk to your licence, trying to actually use the extra HP on a public road. After all, how long is a freeway "on ramp"!
The trouble for us all is that few if any get to experience the feel and nuances of the different options out there - we only get the "before" and "after" of whatever it is we install. Then the "before" tends to become only a vague recollection in a short time. Not exactly a precise test! Rest assured though, you never hear from a disappointed customer....
I thought about the Stage 1, but really wondered if I'd really be able to pick the difference of say 40-50 HP. The stage 2 offered around 70HP at only a small price premium. Anything north of that power figure starts to get rather expensive and complicated moving away from the simple "bolt on" strategy. Certainly others out there like Ziad love their Stage 1's and similar configurations. I can't imagine you'll be disappointed either way, so I'd suggest thinking more about service and support which will be important both with the installation and perhaps later (when you want more!)
Cheers.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:13 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

16/16g kit rocks and is a great bang for the buck
Old 03-26-2010, 12:19 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tanger
...Based on reading, I think for me comes down to deciding between Protomotive's k16/16g /ecu/FBR "kit" or Kevin's Stage 1 kit. Both get rave reviews, but there is a big price differential so just curious what people think....
What is the current ballpark pricing for the two kits?
Old 03-26-2010, 01:34 PM
tanger
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by David in LA
PM sent
Old 03-26-2010, 02:22 PM
Ziad
Rennlist Member

Can't speak for the protomotive kit, but the UMW stage 1 is spot on for me. As Malcolm rightly pointed out, I love it. For day to day driving the TQ pulls effortlessly in any gear from low RPMs. I track my car a few times a year - with race fuel the performance is simply awesome (quicker than a manual 997 turbo mk1)...

I've thought of mods to get more power, but I love the driveability and TQ. But Malcolm has now got me thinking again about the UMW Stage 2, which sounds very similar to the stage 1, except more powerful

Incidentally, and out of interest, what is the cost of the Protomotive?
Old 03-26-2010, 02:56 PM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by David in LA
+1
Old 03-27-2010, 10:47 AM
sfbanchs
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

i went from the autothority kit, to the fvd stage 2 kit and now the umw stage 2 kit, i have no plans on changing again nuf said
Old 03-27-2010, 12:56 PM
Bergamasco
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

What about the kits offered through Carnewal?
Old 03-27-2010, 01:32 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bergamasco
What about the kits offered through Carnewal?
more lag
Old 03-27-2010, 02:03 PM
TurboLaal
Instructor

I to am curious about pricing between the 16g kit and the stage 2 UMW. If someone could pm me too?

Thanks,

Russ
Old 03-27-2010, 08:36 PM
malcolmd
Racer

Default Factory Kits on Carnewal....

Much has been written about the 430HP and 450HP Factory kits with the later being considered one of the better bolt on kits due to reliability and proven performance. I recall very positive comments being made by Rennlister Jean on this topic. Certainly for the track, the K24's will be great, but for the street and traffic, the loss of some tractability with low rpm might be an issue for some. The price of 5500 and 9000 Euro respectivly is what I see as the stumbling block, as the other options in the 450-470HP range are considerably cheaper. Again for some, "factory" might be important as they consider resale. Once you commit to 490HP, the RUF package seems to stand alone (unfortunately, price-wise too).
Old 03-28-2010, 08:05 AM
midcont
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboLaal
I to am curious about pricing between the 16g kit and the stage 2 UMW. If someone could pm me too?

Thanks,

Russ
+1, if somebody wouden't mind PMing me as well. Would love to here any comments on either if you'd prefer not making public, especially as Protosport is pretty close to me.

Quick Reply: Evaluating Turbo Upgrade Kits