Sponsored by:

Pricing Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 09:17 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by ronnie993tt
Apparently you can tell from the fault codes if a leak down is required. I participated in my PPI . They show the variance between cylinders and if it is really small, there's no need. Have you ever heard of a car that has not shown issues via fault codes and sufferred a mechanical failure? I'm no mechanic but am skeptical that it's a revenue generating activity that provides little additional info, particularly on ultra low mileage cars. The computer also shows the operating time so it is pretty easy to tell if the odo has been tampered with. I trust Courtney's judgement on this because of his rep and it's omly one part of his total PPI. Having said that, they are expensive cars . I also found you can negotiate a bit on higher mileage cars but there is little flexibility on low mileage cars, particularly in Canada.............
yes I have heard of a car that has not shown any fault and had major engine problems. Courtney has a pretty good rep but I have heard stories of him misdiagnosing major engine work on a 993tt. why does every shop that specializes in these cars do leakdowns instead of just reading the codes? to know what you got.

Glen,
the problem with very low mileage cars is you won't want to drive them. another is leaky, dried up gaskets,
good luck with your search!
Old 01-26-2010, 09:36 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
yes I have heard of a car that has not shown any fault and had major engine problems. Courtney has a pretty good rep but I have heard stories of him misdiagnosing major engine work on a 993tt. why does every shop that specializes in these cars do leakdowns instead of just reading the codes? to know what you got.
+1

There are no permanently stored "fault codes" on these cars. Maybe he was referring to rev counters on the later cars?

The risk that an ultra low mileage car has an issue is, well... low...
but there is no way to determine if a leakdown is "not required".
Old 01-26-2010, 09:41 PM
sfbanchs
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

clocked i presume means tracked
Old 01-26-2010, 10:11 PM
96PorscheTwinTurbo
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Parnelli
"most 993TT's have unfortunetely been clocked"

what does 'clocked' mean?
I think he means that the odometer was rolled back.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:57 AM
Bergamasco
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Guys: Thanks very much for all your thoughts on this topic. I know that there is an extensive list to go through before making such a purchase and with the help of this site I believe my check list is mostly complete. I will be sure to include the leakdown test. Does anyone know a way to check if there are early signs of rust appearing around the windshield area before paint starts bubbling or is there any special preventative maintenance that you guys recommend to avoid this occurrence?
Old 01-27-2010, 07:21 PM
turbobooost
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HOW ABOUT A "MINT" BLACK /TAN 96 WITH ONLY 15K ???
Old 01-27-2010, 10:20 PM
Bergamasco
Rennlist Member

Good one, Michael...... but I think the price is a bit rich. :-) - Glenn
Old 01-28-2010, 08:12 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by turbobooost
HOW ABOUT A "MINT" BLACK /TAN 96 WITH ONLY 15K ???

Willhoit, why do you continue to advertise your cars here, and not register and pay as a site sponsor?

I also wish you would stop shouting (all caps) all the time, and follow proper internet protocol. Of the thousands of active Rennlist members and Rennlist forum users, you are the only one who continues to ignore this simple courtesy. You are smarter than this reflects.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:58 PM
turbobooost
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

REAL CARS TAKE REAL MONEY..MOOCH CARS ARE A DIME A DOZEN..YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR IN THE PORSCHE WORLD..GOOD LUCK IN YOUR SEARCH..
Old 01-28-2010, 02:31 PM
Bergamasco
Rennlist Member

Michael (Willhoit Car Sales) ..... Real money? I don't think anyone was referring to anything other than that, Michael. I only deal in real money and I don't expect to get something for nothing. I buy when I see a product properly and honestly represented at the going market value. I hope you work the same way. Best Regards, Glenn
Old 01-28-2010, 03:17 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,406 Likes on 814 Posts

Not to mention, not everyone wants a low mile show piece. I bought my high mileage car because I intended to drive it hard and often, and perfect paint and low miles on the odo would be wasted on me. Luckily, this means the cars I was looking at were less expensive.

Price doesn't always mean quality in these situations.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:32 PM
Receiver
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Not to mention, not everyone wants a low mile show piece. I bought my high mileage car because I intended to drive it hard and often, and perfect paint and low miles on the odo would be wasted on me. Luckily, this means the cars I was looking at were less expensive.

Price doesn't always mean quality in these situations.
+1
Old 01-28-2010, 07:11 PM
DivineE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry I thought clocking was an international term. It means altering the mileage.

Quick Reply: Pricing Question