Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My stupid question of the week : Can the intercoolers be relocated?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 12:02 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by alpinadvl
SO...... possible ?

what I am wondering if one could retain a stock C4S look and still have the turbo plumbing all repositioned (I know...not a lot of room to play).

Can anyone (who has posted..or viewed this thread) - comment to that effect?

YES, delete your stock mufflers and you have tons of room for the turbos and intercoolers in the rear fenderwells ...

More information posted here ... https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turb...ferrerid=40678
Old 01-22-2010, 12:28 AM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

My question is whether you are going to get sufficient air flow through the relocated intercoolers. The CTR rams air through the intercoolers via intales in the wing. The 996 has very different aerodynamic characteristics than the 993. A big question would be if you plan to track your car, dyno race or just drive on the street. Probably very different demands.

Greg H.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:58 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Autobahn
I'll try to find the information. It might have been in Adrian's book. I think the conversion was done by Ruf.
Correct, it was done for one of the family members and looks like a C4S.
TTP/Lotec also had a solution.

Originally Posted by alpinadvl
SO...... possible ?

what I am wondering if one could retain a stock C4S look and still have the turbo plumbing all repositioned (I know...not a lot of room to play).

Can anyone (who has posted..or viewed this thread) - comment to that effect?
Yes it can be done. But the solution will probably not be the 993TT with relocation of IC, rather a Turbo modification to a N.A engine.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:46 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg H.
My question is whether you are going to get sufficient air flow through the relocated intercoolers. The CTR rams air through the intercoolers via intales in the wing. The 996 has very different aerodynamic characteristics than the 993. A big question would be if you plan to track your car, dyno race or just drive on the street. Probably very different demands.

Greg H.
Which CTR are you referring to? The only one i'm aware of that had ducts in the wings is the pre production prototype, the actual 'Yellow Bird', of which there is only 1. All production CTR's relied on the engine fan to drag air through them and they were mounted inside the rear inner wing, same as the CTR2, neither model had any ducts.
Ruf found that the ducts didn't work, something to do with pressure build up or low pressure or something, anyway they were ditched.

I think Princeton's intercoolers hanging down in the rear bumpers are just expecting to get air from anywhere?

Yellowbird CTR

Production CTR

CTR2

Old 01-22-2010, 02:56 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd be worried about the air flow too. I spent some time last night fiddleing with new intercooler hoses (muffler delete) and there isn't that much room. Plus, it,s just beside the turbos/exhaust. My fenders get pretty warm, would need a fan in traffic I would think. At least with the stock position the engine fan draws quite of bit of air.

Greg H.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:03 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

The CTR2 was what I was thinking of. I thought the air was rammed through those intercoolers by the wings and then under the car. Doesn't the wing have two inlets - one low for the engine and one up high for the intercoolers? I don't know what I'm talking about since I have never seen a CTR2. My point was simply that getting air to the intercoolers was going to be an issue. I have never heard if Princeton's design actually worked.

Greg H.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:05 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

I think the idea would be to block off a lot of the air coming in on top, so that the engine fan will draw the air through the fender mounted coolers. You'd need a well sealed up engine bay to get the best benefit from the engine fan
Old 01-22-2010, 03:08 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

The CTR2 was what I was thinking of. I thought the air was rammed through those intercoolers by the wings and then under the car. Doesn't the wing have two inlets - one low for the engine and one up high for the intercoolers? I don't know what I'm talking about since I have never seen a CTR2. My point was simply that getting air to the intercoolers was going to be an issue. I have never heard if Princeton's design actually worked.

Greg H.
There is an intake on the top middle portion of the wing, but i think it's just simply an intake taking in air, the engine fan will be actually sucking the air through the intercoolers

Edit: This is a picture of a model obviously, but you can see the two intakes, the one closest to the rear window is for the engine air intake, and the one in the wing is allowing air down to the intercoolers. But the intercoolers aren't relying on air being forced down and over them, it's the engine fan dragging air 'through' them

Old 01-23-2010, 09:02 AM
Tour18
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are some pics:

Old 01-23-2010, 09:05 AM
Tour18
Banned

Old 01-23-2010, 09:09 AM
Tour18
Banned

Old 01-23-2010, 11:53 AM
LA964RS
Drifting

Turbo Kraft in Az did it w/water cooled i/c's.....fits easy....a bit of work and not too expensive. I was going to use it, but was not sold on the cooling capabilities. I think if you contact them, they may have more data on it by now. This is the most "practical" and "cost effective" method. I looked at a lot of possibilities. There is a write up on this system in an old Excellence where the car was featured. Its probably also on thier web site.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:57 AM
LA964RS
Drifting

What's the opinion on this car as to whether this is a narrow body or wide body 993...???

Originally Posted by FlatSix911
An outstanding example ... with side mounted intercoolers ...

Quick Reply: My stupid question of the week : Can the intercoolers be relocated?