Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems already :(

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 02:12 PM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I recall correctly there was a recall on the belts and pulley in 1997 or 98 for the 993tt. Might want to check that out.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:02 PM
xpensivewino
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 33 Posts

I have had one year of trouble with belts on my TT, never fitting right, breaking, squeeling etc.... I looked up the factory recall and ordered the correct updated pulley and belt length, and replaced it. It took about 2 hours with simple tools, and the 12 pointed socket from NAPA. The car is now perfect, and have never had a problem again. I would attach the link for you, but I am not that savy, just go to Pelican technical bulletins and search alternator belts under the Turbo area, and you will find the thread with the tech bulletin...Cheers
Old 12-28-2009, 05:30 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JJayB
If I recall correctly there was a recall on the belts and pulley in 1997 or 98 for the 993tt. Might want to check that out.
Originally Posted by xpensivewino
I have had one year of trouble with belts on my TT, never fitting right, breaking, squeeling etc.... I looked up the factory recall and ordered the correct updated pulley and belt length, and replaced it. It took about 2 hours with simple tools, and the 12 pointed socket from NAPA. The car is now perfect, and have never had a problem again. I would attach the link for you, but I am not that savy, just go to Pelican technical bulletins and search alternator belts under the Turbo area, and you will find the thread with the tech bulletin...Cheers

Originally Posted by MarkD

The correct belt varies depending on the pulley on the car. On the turbos if the update was done, different alt belt.

EDIT: here is the TSB with belt sizes: http://www.pcarworkshop.com/images/7...te_1997-06.pdf

The old style pulley has a separate (thick) spacer just behind the nut.
The updated version has that part integrated into the pulley halves.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:39 PM
gandalfthegray.
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Not over yet...

Stopped by to pick up the Turbo today, Called the shop to make sure it was ready to go and it was. Lined up a ride from Tustin to Burbank and headed out. Upon arrival the car was still in the service bay. They gave me the keys and I backed it out into the parking lot, stopped and proceeded to pull forward. At that point I noticed that I could smell rubber burning. I stopped, hopped out quick and observed smole from the engine bay. I quickly shut the car off and opened the engine bay cover to find that the alternator belt had already broken.

It took less than 1 minute to break the new belt and as I was backing out, I never revved the engine, just clutched it. I had to have the guys at the shop help push it back inside. There going to have a look at it here this evening. In the meanwhile I had to call for my ride to return (in the M5) and bring me back home.

This really sucks. I've spent the holidays listening to all the friends and family make fun of my overpriced underperforming old Porsche. My girlfriend is concerned about renting a car for the drive down to San Diego for New Years. She doesn't think the Porsche will make it. I'm definitely off on the wrong foot in 993 ownership. The "I told you so's" are flying from every direction and the M5 owner is loving every minute of it.

I'm sure there must be some way to resolve this, but while your on vacation in southern California is really not a good time for all of this to happen.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:16 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,173 Likes on 577 Posts

^^ totally unacceptable. You need to go to another shop, because they are not getting to the root of the problem
Old 12-30-2009, 12:32 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gandalfthegray.
Stopped by to pick up the Turbo today, Called the shop to make sure it was ready to go and it was. Lined up a ride from Tustin to Burbank and headed out. Upon arrival the car was still in the service bay. They gave me the keys and I backed it out into the parking lot, stopped and proceeded to pull forward. At that point I noticed that I could smell rubber burning. I stopped, hopped out quick and observed smole from the engine bay. I quickly shut the car off and opened the engine bay cover to find that the alternator belt had already broken.

It took less than 1 minute to break the new belt and as I was backing out, I never revved the engine, just clutched it. I had to have the guys at the shop help push it back inside. There going to have a look at it here this evening. In the meanwhile I had to call for my ride to return (in the M5) and bring me back home.

This really sucks. I've spent the holidays listening to all the friends and family make fun of my overpriced underperforming old Porsche. My girlfriend is concerned about renting a car for the drive down to San Diego for New Years. She doesn't think the Porsche will make it. I'm definitely off on the wrong foot in 993 ownership. The "I told you so's" are flying from every direction and the M5 owner is loving every minute of it.

I'm sure there must be some way to resolve this, but while your on vacation in southern California is really not a good time for all of this to happen.
This is no way to start!
These cars are very reliable... so sorry for your experience so far.

I am guessing alternator bearing is toast or fan hub bearing.
Either way, I would have expected the shop to catch this after the first failure.
Some thing is seriously FUBAR for a belt to go like that.

Good luck and please let us know what the problem was.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:41 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Your shop doesn't know wtf they are doing, sorry to say. It's getting tougher to find shops capable enough to work on the air cooled cars, that's why most guys are in the DIY mode.
GL, i'ts really not he car, it's the morons at the shop. One of my friends bought a 97 with 1200 miles 6 yrs ago, now he has 70k+ on the car, a super reliable DD in NYC, he couldn't believe the PO babied it so much.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:46 AM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

lol those guys are tards just (gulp) take it to dealer and have the pulley's inspected and belts changed. I imagine that they did something stupid with the pulleys or the bearings are now toast which is causing the belts to destroy themselves.

Whats the name of the shop?
Old 12-30-2009, 02:58 PM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Mate, sorry this has happened to you. But I'm with the others that say just take it to a proper dealer and pay for the job to be done properly. When it is repaired, buy someone other than a clown, your car will be the best thing you have ever bought yourself. Hard to blame the car really.
This is incredible, especially in there car park! The jokes 100% on them and not you or your awesome car.
You'll get there, just get it repaired properly.
L
Old 01-10-2010, 11:25 AM
gandalfthegray.
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts

I wanted to follow up quick and let you guys know that it's doing just fine.

Basically, all it was is people using the wrong belts and not checking belt tension with a tensioner. Unfortunately it was a major pain in my side during a vacation. Now with the proper belts at the proper tension it has no problems - imagine that.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:23 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

I wanted to follow up quick and let you guys know that it's doing just fine.
Glad you got things worked out and it was straightforward. Now you can go enjoy her!
Old 01-10-2010, 01:24 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

^My indy also recommends the tensions are re-checked after the first 500 miles. Glad you are now over this road-bump.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:26 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Basically, all it was is people using the wrong belts and not checking belt tension with a tensioner.
Was this at a Porsche indy shop?

I hope you're not going bak to that shop?!!

Unfortunately it was a major pain in my side during a vacation. Now with the proper belts at the proper tension it has no problems - imagine that.
Basically...

But gald to hear your situation is rectified.

Quick Reply: Problems already :(