Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RUF Turbo At Auction

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 12:45 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Again, I advise that you look at the previous strings on the car. If I remember, there was some good info. And it seemed that the car was legit and unique. Just make sure you understand the BTR conversion. Very cool and RWD brutality.

My guess is that the conversion was not done in Dallas, the Dallas shop has only been open for a few years. (My car was converted in Germany, Steve's was done in the US by a German RUF mechanic who was flown in.) So you may want to email that VIN directly to RUF Germany. RUF Dallas is friendly and helpful, but they could not access the records of my car when I was researching. Now they know everything about my car as they are the only shop that can touch it!

Good luck!
Old 12-14-2009, 09:24 AM
seefouress
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pjconner
Again, I advise that you look at the previous strings on the car. If I remember, there was some good info. And it seemed that the car was legit and unique. Just make sure you understand the BTR conversion. Very cool and RWD brutality.

My guess is that the conversion was not done in Dallas, the Dallas shop has only been open for a few years. (My car was converted in Germany, Steve's was done in the US by a German RUF mechanic who was flown in.) So you may want to email that VIN directly to RUF Germany. RUF Dallas is friendly and helpful, but they could not access the records of my car when I was researching. Now they know everything about my car as they are the only shop that can touch it!

Good luck!
Many thanks Patrick. I'll definitely do a search.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:59 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by seefouress
Many thanks to you all for the great info. I understand you're saying that it's not an original RUF car but that the conversion was likely done by RUF, right?
Whether a Ruf car starts with a Ruf VIN or is a Ruf conversion, in Ruf's eyes, its still an original Ruf car.

Granted, the argument has been that Ruf VIN carry more value than Ruf conversions. However, before Ruf received manufacturer status, all Ruf cars were conversions.

IMHO, a Ruf car is a Ruf car, any way you build it.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:06 PM
seefouress
Instructor

Originally Posted by canysmc
Whether a Ruf car starts with a Ruf VIN or is a Ruf conversion, in Ruf's eyes, its still an original Ruf car.

Granted, the argument has been that Ruf VIN carry more value than Ruf conversions. However, before Ruf received manufacturer status, all Ruf cars were conversions.

IMHO, a Ruf car is a Ruf car, any way you build it.

Point well made. Thanks.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:22 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

I think the bigger issue will be price. When the bafoons with too much money and an over inflated ego start bidding on TV they often pay much too high a price for cars at that auction. Ohh and dont forget that huge buyers premium that B/J charges you.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:39 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

If the car orginated in WA state, there is a chance that Weissach in Vancouver BC did the conversion. Weissach was Ruf's North America rep before Ruf Dallas opened.

It is definitely a BTR. This is the third BTR that I know of, mine, the silver one reworked by Ruf Dallas (orginally done in the south somewhere, may be Florida?), now this one.

Nice car though. And 98MY carries some cache all by itself.

CP

Last edited by CP; 12-16-2009 at 02:47 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:45 PM
seefouress
Instructor

Originally Posted by CP
If the car orginated in WA state, there is a chance that Weissach in Vancouver BC did the conversion. Weissach was Ruf's North America rep before Ruf Dallas opened.

It is definitely a BTR. This is the third BTR that I know of, mine, the silver one reworked by Ruf Dallas (orginally done in the south somewhere, may be Florida?), now this one.

Nice car though. And 98MY carries some cache as by itself.

CP
Thanks for that info. I'm still working on getting the VIN# to see if RUF can supply more details on the car's history. Only three BTR's? Wow, I would have thought there would be a lot more out there. Why do you think there are so few? Did the hairy nature (I assume) of the 2 wheel drive scare people away?
Old 12-16-2009, 03:07 PM
CP
Race Director

Originally Posted by seefouress
Only three BTR's? Wow, I would have thought there would be a lot more out there. Why do you think there are so few? Did the hairy nature (I assume) of the 2 wheel drive scare people away?
When the 993 first came out as a 95 MY car, there were no factory turbos. Ruf did the BTR conversion kit taking a NA 993 to 426 HP/438 ft-# tq. Since Ruf had to turbo-charge an OEM NA engine, they had to design and fabricte all the necessary conversion parts: plenums, upstream/downstream breathing, brackets, and a whole bunch more. It was a VERY expansive proposition. My PO's paperwork showed he paid Ruf (Germany) $65k for his BTR conversion in August 2000. The AWD or RWD configuration had nothing to do with it. If the original car was a C2, then it became a BTR-2 (mine for example). If it was a C4, it became a BTR-4.

Then starting the 96 MY the factory 993 tt hit the market, and Ruf had a much better (and easier) platform to work with. The result is the CTR and Turbo-Rs. Those twin-turbo Rufs pushed close to 500 HP, and Ruf only charged about $25k for the conversion. Of course one had to buy a 993tt first so the price of admission was much steeper than the NA 993/BTR.

With that evolution, only NA owners would consider the BTR. With the high conversion price but less HP, most people wanting a Ruf would go the CTR and or Turbo-R route. Thus the BTR is a true rarity. As I mentioned, I know of 3 now in the States, all are conversions. Since all CTRs and Turbo-Rs were all wide body, 4WD cars, BTRs that are narrow body, RWD became even more rare amongst turbo-charged Porsches.

There were 18 Ruf VIN BTRs that Ruf actually built. I believe they ware all narrow-body cars as Alois felt that the narrow-body 993 actually had better aero-dynamics than the wide-body cars. They are a few hundred pounds lighter for sure. I am NOT sure if any of those are in the States though.

Hope this little tidbit adds to the interest in this thread.

CP

Last edited by CP; 12-16-2009 at 03:34 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:57 PM
seefouress
Instructor

Originally Posted by CP
When the 993 first came out as a 95 MY car, there were no factory turbos. Ruf did the BTR conversion kit taking a NA 993 to 426 HP/438 ft-# tq. Since Ruf had to turbo-charge an OEM NA engine, they had to design and fabricte all the necessary conversion parts: plenums, upstream/downstream breathing, brackets, and a whole bunch more. It was a VERY expansive proposition. My PO's paperwork showed he paid Ruf (Germany) $65k for his BTR conversion in August 2000. The AWD or RWD configuration had nothing to do with it. If the original car was a C2, then it became a BTR-2 (mine for example). If it was a C4, it became a BTR-4.

Then starting the 96 MY the factory 993 tt hit the market, and Ruf had a much better (and easier) platform to work with. The result is the CTR and Turbo-Rs. Those twin-turbo Rufs pushed close to 500 HP, and Ruf only charged about $25k for the conversion. Of course one had to buy a 993tt first so the price of admission was much steeper than the NA 993/BTR.

With that evolution, only NA owners would consider the BTR. With the high conversion price but less HP, most people wanting a Ruf would go the CTR and or Turbo-R route. Thus the BTR is a true rarity. As I mentioned, I know of 3 now in the States, all are conversions. Since all CTRs and Turbo-Rs were all wide body, 4WD cars, BTRs that are narrow body, RWD became even more rare amongst turbo-charged Porsches.

There were 18 Ruf VIN BTRs that Ruf actually built. I believe they ware all narrow-body cars as Alois felt that the narrow-body 993 actually had better aero-dynamics than the wide-body cars. They are a few hundred pounds lighter for sure. I am NOT sure if any of those are in the States though.

Hope this little tidbit adds to the interest in this thread.

CP
Great bit of RUF history! The knowledge you guys have about these cars is amazing and much appreciated.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:07 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Pong, I saw a C4S BTR at RUF recently.

And one other option that RUF did is like my car. It was a C4S that RUF converted to a Turbo R. They purchased a new crated 993TT motor and transmission, coverted it to Turbo R, and installed it in the C4S. The cost in 2001 was $50k.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:36 PM
CP
Race Director

Patrick,

What color was the C4S BTR at Ruf?

Yes, I neglect to mention the crate tt motor route. But the end result is still a Turbo-R or CTR. BTRs are very rare birds indeed.

CP
Old 12-16-2009, 11:20 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Pong,

It was Artic Silver. Nice car. I am sure Hans can tell you more about it.

Yes BTRs are rare and special indeed. Especially yours.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:40 PM
CP
Race Director

Originally Posted by pjconner
Pong,

It was Artic Silver. Nice car. I am sure Hans can tell you more about it.

Yes BTRs are rare and special indeed. Especially yours.
Patrick,

Thanks for the kind words.

The Artic Sliver BTR, any chance it was C4Consult's old car?

CP
Old 12-17-2009, 09:01 AM
Texas993
Race Car

Originally Posted by CP
Patrick,

Thanks for the kind words.

The Artic Sliver BTR, any chance it was C4Consult's old car?

CP
Nope, it was a C4S BTR. I will ask the RUF guys about it.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:42 AM
stuttgart_20
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JBL930
Something is a little odd there, 420bhp? The stock 993 is 408bhp! Maybe it was just Ruf wheels and some other Ruf bits? And the 420bhp Porsche ECU...

i have the Excellence issue that they did a profile on the Turbo R and that was what they reported. I thought this was little low as well

Quick Reply: RUF Turbo At Auction