Sponsored by:

1997 Turbo in San Francisco

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 12:28 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by WHB Porsche
KBB has diddly squat to do with 993 values.

This car has a stunning interior, I think the asking price is reasonable, within the couple of $k negotiation range. Also aftermarket exhaust shouldn't be a problem so long as it didn't mess with the cats.
"KBB has diddly squat to do with 993 values". Says you. I use whatever source of prices/values I think best justifies the value I put on a used car. Granted I would not rely upo KBB alone but it was handies to get the numbers from.

Takes more than a stunning interior to make a car worthy of purchase in my opinion. But if the OP is fixated on getting a car with a stunning interior the car can be his.

Again I stress price not fact only an opinion. Your opinion is the price is reasonable maybe a couple of $K high. Maybe. I have not put any effort into learning the 993 market cause I have not had any interest in owning one for over a year or more and the car could very well be priced at market maybe even a bit below.

My point is that the OP needs to do his own research and not take as gospel that the price of the car is right.

Most sellers have an overinflated opinion of the value of their car. That's natural. And part of the selling process to sell the car as a one of a kind, there is no other car in this good of a condition, in this color combo, with these options and intelligent modifications for this low a price, etc, blah blah blah.

Up to the buyer to try to separate fact from fiction and arrive at a reasonable valuation for the car so he makes an intelligent purchase.

Price is not fact, only an opinion.

One can always up his offer.

And there is always another car.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:53 PM
sanyata
Rennlist Member

Received 478 Likes on 259 Posts

If you click on the "see window sticker" link you'll see as part of its description :

"The driver's-side fender and door were replaced in 1999 due to a baseball size damage that occurred. Manufactured from the exclusive program, wheel rim caps with the Porsche crest, cruise control, seats with lumbar support, remote 6-disc CD changer, supple leathers seats, metal door sill with insignia, aluminum/leather shift **** & shift ****, and embroidered floor mats."

So they are very up front about its history. I don't know how well the damage is documented but if it is well recorded and proves to be minor, I don't think it would be a deal breaker but certainly a strong negotiation point for driving the price down. I looked at the car about two months ago and thought it was pretty clean. But not exactly what I'm looking for and I'm taking my time to find just the right car for me.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:14 AM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 36 Posts

Thanks for all of the replies and insight -- all much appreciated -- at the end of the day my friend decided to take a pass on this particular car.

Anyone have info on this particular 993TT, currently on eBay? Looks like it has been for sale for a few months now, and I wonder if there is a story here?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...#ht_500wt_1182
Old 01-04-2010, 01:02 AM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by zellamsee
Thanks for all of the replies and insight -- all much appreciated -- at the end of the day my friend decided to take a pass on this particular car.

Anyone have info on this particular 993TT, currently on eBay? Looks like it has been for sale for a few months now, and I wonder if there is a story here?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...#ht_500wt_1182
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turb...ml#post6812800
Old 01-04-2010, 07:46 AM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Macster
"KBB has diddly squat to do with 993 values". Says you. I use whatever source of prices/values I think best justifies the value I put on a used car. Granted I would not rely upo KBB alone but it was handies to get the numbers from.
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...hat-gives.html

the car could very well be priced at market maybe even a bit below.
Seems to be the point WHB Porsche was getting at.

Most sellers have an overinflated opinion of the value of their car. That's natural. And part of the selling process to sell the car as a one of a kind, there is no other car in this good of a condition, in this color combo, with these options and intelligent modifications for this low a price, etc, blah blah blah.
And most buyers have "underinflated" opinions of seller's value...

Who doesn't want a great deal?

Up to the buyer to try to separate fact from fiction and arrive at a reasonable valuation for the car so he makes an intelligent purchase.

Price is not fact, only an opinion.
And the "fact" is, the buyer is trying to make a purchase based on his "reasonable valuation", not the seller's.

In the end, as Kein_Ersatz posted, "A "fair" price is what the buyer and seller agree to."

Old 01-04-2010, 06:03 PM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 36 Posts

Thanks for the cross-link.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:31 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice looking car. Love the exterior.....not so much the interior. $70K may be high but $65K and it's a goner IMO.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:22 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 408 Posts

Big drop in price on the car the OP asked about. Now they are only asking $49.9k
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/ctd/1557411757.html
Old 01-17-2010, 11:40 PM
azmurciev12
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

wow! i have to check that car out now!!!
Old 01-18-2010, 12:59 AM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Takes more than a stunning interior to make a car worthy of purchase in my opinion. But if the OP is fixated on getting a car with a stunning interior the car can be his.
My two comments were not related.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:47 PM
azmurciev12
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

my friend checked out this car. he really liked it and he said it was very clean. the paint and interior in very good condition. there's a tear on the leather of the B-Pillar on the driver side though. of course, there's the admission of driver's front fender and door replacement which does not appear on carfax but which also states it's a 1 owner car.

he didn't get to drive it as it was raining hard in the bay area. but basing it from what he saw with the exterior and interior, it's a really good car for the price.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:02 AM
ELPORSCHA
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Zellamsee said: "at the end of the day my friend decided to take a pass on this particular car".

Any particular reason for the 'pass'!!....other than torn leather of B-Pillar, and what looks like missing rear-seats belt caps (far as one can see in photos).
Old 01-23-2010, 10:30 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 689 Likes on 290 Posts

I passed too...

I really hope the new owner paid for a thorough ppi.

Search continues.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:26 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't get why people are passing on this car @ $49.9K Any further thoughts?
Old 01-24-2010, 05:19 PM
Drew138
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am considering a sale of my 993TT and trying to understand market values. Blk/Blk, 47k, not mint, but very clean. In SF in anyone is interested PM me. Not sure I want to part with it. Serviced at Sonnen.

Quick Reply: 1997 Turbo in San Francisco