Sponsored by:

1997 Turbo in San Francisco

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 09:33 PM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 36 Posts
Default 1997 Turbo in San Francisco

Anyone have any information about this particular car, for sale @ Dawydiak in San Francisco? http://www.carsauto.com/detail.cfm?V...o%20&ID=424084. What would be a fair/good price? Thanks.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:41 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems pretty fair at the $58900 listed
Old 12-08-2009, 10:25 PM
msw
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 14 Posts

i believe it has been there at least 4 months...
Old 12-08-2009, 10:27 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by zellamsee
Anyone have any information about this particular car, for sale @ Dawydiak in San Francisco? http://www.carsauto.com/detail.cfm?V...o%20&ID=424084. What would be a fair/good price? Thanks.
"aftermarket exhaust"? Will this pass CA emissions? IIRC seller in CA responsible for emissions compliance and certification but if this step lax now -- say the inspection step -- later car could fail via visual inspection.

I'd be darn sure I saw an official smog cert. and car has undergone a thorough CA emissions certification process.

As for price? I have not kept abreast of 993 Turbo prices. KBB gives a private party sale value of around $52.6K in "excellent" condition.

No way a '97 modified car with nearly 50K miles could be in excellent condition so car's condition less than excellent, which puts price down to near good which is $50.1K.

Trade in (good) is $45.2K.

My WAG is somewhere between $45.2K and $50.1K is the price, though I'd have to due to some real research to have much confidence in these numbers. I haven't searched www.autotrader.com to see how many 993 Turbos there are for sale and what the high, low and average asking price is.

A '97 is going on 11 to 12 years old and while these cars are I hear/read reliable 12 years old is getting on in years for a car. Miles are "low" but if you pay a premium for low miles that premium evaporates as you drive the car, so I'd strive to justify not paying a premium for the low miles.

But it depends upon the market, what other people are paying for these cars and how the car checks out, condition, etc.

My neighbor has a '96 993 Turbo, midnight blue. Beautiful car. He covers the car up when not using it and sometimes -- when he's away for business trips -- I see the cover coming off from the wind and walk over and tuck car in for him, to make sure its covered properly while he's away.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:32 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 172 Posts

A "fair" price is what the buyer and seller agree to. No more, no less. Given the rare nature of these cars (TT), fewer 97s then 96s, preference for "stock" vs mod'd, and mileage balanced against future repair costs, for the right buyer this may be a fair price. The again, if you are in the market for any number of fast cars, then this may not be the car at this price point for you. But if you are a Buckeye looking for a 97 TT, then there may be no better car at any price. YMMV.

Always get a PPI, and be prepared to spend more "Porsche level" money after the purchase.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:15 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

They have that car on consignment.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:17 AM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ That's pretty much their business. I sold my SC there in 2000, after I bought the TT in late '99.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:43 PM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 36 Posts

Thanks guys. All very helpful info. I have a friend who is looking at the car. In addition to the after-market exhaust, apparently the car has the lowered Euro suspension. The seller claims that this was performed by the factory when the vehicle was new, which doesn't make sense to me . . . unless the car is not US-spec? I thought all 993s were required to have US spec suspension settings, including height?
Old 12-09-2009, 01:30 PM
BlkC4S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lowered suspension and aftermarket muffler are generally considered desirable and give some hint that the previous owner was an enthusiast.

It would have been built with the US suspension. I guess it's possible the original owner did euro-delivery and had the springs changed there, but it sounds more like a sales pitch. In the end, it doesn't matter a whole lot who changed the springs.

If you get far enough along for a PPI, I'd suggest SCarGo in San Rafael. RMG in Sunnyvale is a good choice as well but further.

Originally Posted by zellamsee
Thanks guys. All very helpful info. I have a friend who is looking at the car. In addition to the after-market exhaust, apparently the car has the lowered Euro suspension. The seller claims that this was performed by the factory when the vehicle was new, which doesn't make sense to me . . . unless the car is not US-spec? I thought all 993s were required to have US spec suspension settings, including height?
Old 12-09-2009, 02:13 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

I don't know the car. But I bought mine from Dawydiak. They were a joy to deal with, during and after the sale. Had a problem come up and they took care of it, no questions asked, by sending a check...I believe they are truly out to earn long-time customers. If I had the money, I'd buy it after a PPI no problem.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:00 AM
orthohbb1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After looking for a 993 and buying one recently, the car "looks" good. At that price maybe alittle haggling could get the car down to 55k or so. If car checks out in the PPI, its a fair deal. Ive turned down a couple "low mildege" cars becuase the sellers wanted 63-65k for a 27-29 thousand mile car. I waited and bought mine in the low fifties.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:09 AM
msw
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 14 Posts

"My WAG is somewhere between $45.2K and $50.1K is the price, though I'd have to due to some real research to have much confidence in these numbers. I haven't searched www.autotrader.com to see how many 993 Turbos there are for sale and what the high, low and average asking price is."

sorry, i've seen the car...no offense but imo, you are way off...
Old 12-12-2009, 12:06 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by msw
"My WAG is somewhere between $45.2K and $50.1K is the price, though I'd have to due to some real research to have much confidence in these numbers. I haven't searched www.autotrader.com to see how many 993 Turbos there are for sale and what the high, low and average asking price is."

sorry, i've seen the car...no offense but imo, you are way off...
Since price not fact only an opinion how can I be way off?

Grant you that were I in the market and had the motiviation to therefore do due diligence on the market for this model I might revise my estimate of the car's value upward.

One can always raise a price, an offer for a car, so it doesn't bother me to come in a bit under market.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:05 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
"aftermarket exhaust"? Will this pass CA emissions? IIRC seller in CA responsible for emissions compliance and certification but if this step lax now -- say the inspection step -- later car could fail via visual inspection.

I'd be darn sure I saw an official smog cert. and car has undergone a thorough CA emissions certification process.

As for price? I have not kept abreast of 993 Turbo prices. KBB gives a private party sale value of around $52.6K in "excellent" condition.

No way a '97 modified car with nearly 50K miles could be in excellent condition so car's condition less than excellent, which puts price down to near good which is $50.1K.

Trade in (good) is $45.2K.

My WAG is somewhere between $45.2K and $50.1K is the price, though I'd have to due to some real research to have much confidence in these numbers. I haven't searched www.autotrader.com to see how many 993 Turbos there are for sale and what the high, low and average asking price is.

A '97 is going on 11 to 12 years old and while these cars are I hear/read reliable 12 years old is getting on in years for a car. Miles are "low" but if you pay a premium for low miles that premium evaporates as you drive the car, so I'd strive to justify not paying a premium for the low miles.

But it depends upon the market, what other people are paying for these cars and how the car checks out, condition, etc.

My neighbor has a '96 993 Turbo, midnight blue. Beautiful car. He covers the car up when not using it and sometimes -- when he's away for business trips -- I see the cover coming off from the wind and walk over and tuck car in for him, to make sure its covered properly while he's away.

Sincerely,

Macster.
KBB has diddly squat to do with 993 values.

This car has a stunning interior, I think the asking price is reasonable, within the couple of $k negotiation range. Also aftermarket exhaust shouldn't be a problem so long as it didn't mess with the cats.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:20 AM
Porscheholic
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

My guess is if the PPI comes back clean some Porsche enthusiast will pay the asking price or very close to it. If you really like the car I wouldn't quibble about a couple thousand dollars.

Quick Reply: 1997 Turbo in San Francisco