Sponsored by:

Stating problems ECU ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 05:54 PM
Andrew 996TTS
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stating problems ECU ?

After a complete engine and gearbox rebuild on my 96 993TT my engine builder is having trouble getting it started for the first time.

Apparently there is no spark or fuel being supplied when turning the engine over. They have checked the wiring, fuses and relays and everything seems in order. When they plug the code reader into the ECU it just gives them an exclamation mark ! and nothing else.

When they turn the ignition key on the fuel pump makes a noise and primes itself but no fuel is being supplied to the engine when it turns over.

They suspect the ECU has failed whilst the engine build was happening and I am going there tomorrow with a borrowed ECU to check if that is the cause. In case it doesn't has anyone else got any suggestions on what to try or had this problem before ?

I have seen a few places that offer to rebuild the motronic ECU's. If this is the cause has anyone any experience of these ? is it worth the bother ?

The car is in the UK and they have checked with Hamilton & Palmer who supplied the original alarm/immobiliser and it all seems to be working fine and they have reset it to make sure that was not the problem. A new battery has been installed and the car was running fine before the rebuild.

Rebuild included new leads, plugs, cap and rotor etc.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 11-26-2009, 05:57 PM
Andrew 996TTS
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BTW they checked the crank sensor which was not the problem
Old 11-26-2009, 05:59 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

DME relay?