Sponsored by:

OT: After 993 tt

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 01:33 AM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill S.
I agree that the CGT would not be as cost-effective as the FGT to track, but I think it has the potential to be much faster!

I've put over 7,000 street miles on my CGT. The front spoiler scrapes often (but is not damaged), but I haven't damaged anything else under the car except one time at high speed over a deep dip. I had to replace the two rear fins and the carbon underpans got a little scratched, but just in the clear coat. I haven't come across a speed bump I couldn't clear, but I do recall turning around for some really gross ones!
Bill,
I always appreciate your comments as you deal in fact not conjecture. True, with a bigger budget the CGT would be very interesting to track as I've wanted to get a drive without guilt. At $300+ large for a driver it would be more than my pension plan can fund unless I can get some of the stimulous funds for poor racers.
I think bang for the buck the FGT is the most interesting. There are so many garage queens it's unbelieveable! Remember the FGT did 211 mph certified top speed. I don't think that relievent but hey if you want to compare exotics that's hard to beat.
My motive would be to really set up the suspension which I don't think has been done to my knowledge. Most of the owners crank up the boost and do a lot of straight line stuff. It would be interesting to do a little track testing like we use to. Line up the CGT and FGT.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:42 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Why not just get a 997TT?
600HP is easy with some minor tuning, bulletproof,etc
Old 11-30-2009, 03:43 AM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

FGT-badass incarnate
Old 11-30-2009, 12:14 PM
Bill S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JJayB
Bill,
I always appreciate your comments as you deal in fact not conjecture. True, with a bigger budget the CGT would be very interesting to track as I've wanted to get a drive without guilt. At $300+ large for a driver it would be more than my pension plan can fund unless I can get some of the stimulous funds for poor racers.
I think bang for the buck the FGT is the most interesting. There are so many garage queens it's unbelieveable! Remember the FGT did 211 mph certified top speed. I don't think that relievent but hey if you want to compare exotics that's hard to beat.
My motive would be to really set up the suspension which I don't think has been done to my knowledge. Most of the owners crank up the boost and do a lot of straight line stuff. It would be interesting to do a little track testing like we use to. Line up the CGT and FGT.
Jim, let me know when you'd like to line up the CGT and FGT. I can bring a CGT if you have an FGT.

We raced a stock FGT and CGT in a straight line for the Speed Channel last year and the CGT was several cars ahead in the 1/4-mile. It would be fun to repeat that with a modified FGT.

Other candidates for really good track/street cars are (from what I've experienced on the street and track):

Nissan GT-R
Porsche GT3 RS
Dodge Viper ACR
Corvette ZR1
Old 11-30-2009, 12:34 PM
bkniep
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

I've seen a couple articles in EVO about Roush mods that lift the FGT into the stratosphere. Check them out.
Bill
Old 11-30-2009, 05:21 PM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bill S.
Jim, let me know when you'd like to line up the CGT and FGT. I can bring a CGT if you have an FGT.

We raced a stock FGT and CGT in a straight line for the Speed Channel last year and the CGT was several cars ahead in the 1/4-mile. It would be fun to repeat that with a modified FGT.

Other candidates for really good track/street cars are (from what I've experienced on the street and track):

Nissan GT-R
Porsche GT3 RS
Dodge Viper ACR
Corvette ZR1
Bill,
I saw the Speed Channel video and I know the owner of theCGT who also has a FGT. IF and it looks like I'm leaning to the FGT well do it.

GT-R no soul and did it really beat porsche at the Nurburgring which doesn't matter, beat one handily with Blackie.

GT3 RS- tried to buy one in '08 but the dealers felt I wasn't worthy enought to pay 30k over window. Different tune today. Same old porsche script.

Viper ACR- Now this is a fast car! It will dominate over everything else with even a fair club driver on a track. Hummm $105K... If it had a bigger wing I might consider it.

ZR1- fender polishers and garage queens. Owners tend to measure the performance by their dyno results. Great car if all you want to do is beat Mustangs.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:50 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay, I'd take the Viper ACR over an FGT!
Old 12-01-2009, 08:50 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,782 Likes on 1,706 Posts

Some interesting data and comments to mull over: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...seca-laps.html

Too bad you don't want to do another p-car round. Once you learn to drive a pendulum well (and from what I've read, you do), is there anything else that can get your juices flowing on a consistent basis?

If you change your mind, I'm sure a GT3.2 RS, a GT3.1 with the SW 3.9 upgrade or better yet, a 7TT modded to 600hp as Chris suggested might do the trick for you.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:32 PM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Louis J.
Some interesting data and comments to mull over: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...seca-laps.html

Too bad you don't want to do another p-car round. Once you learn to drive a pendulum well (and from what I've read, you do), is there anything else that can get your juices flowing on a consistent basis?

If you change your mind, I'm sure a GT3.2 RS, a GT3.1 with the SW 3.9 upgrade or better yet, a 7TT modded to 600hp as Chris suggested might do the trick for you.
Thanks Louis,
Since the car I'll be driving will be modded these are excellent times to compare too. I believe Laguna should be the benchmark for testing production cars cababilites ala the Nordschleif is to Germany so we can have these bench racing dialogs. FWIW, the SLS's ran 1:37's with passengers so I know its a 1:34 car with Hoosiers. I turned a 1:39 in a 96 Viper Coupe will only race tires so production cars have improved in the last 12 years.
To answer your question, the one car that was my favorite of all time to drive was a 944 turbo factory club sport...with 420 hp. Problem was you changed head gaskets when you changed brake pads

The 7gt2 is not on my list despite what the collective board may think for this reason, it has 200lbs more weight than a 7gt3 hanging over the rear end which only magnifies the handling issue when you add more horsepower. Porsche has cleverly impoved the nanies so the product liability lawyers won't get rich.
Porsche should have built a light weight AWD with a PDK and the GT1 engine, then I'm a interested.
Likewise the GT3rs can be a handfull on high speed turns.( haven't driven one with the new active motormounts) I've raced more than a few in my Black Series AMG and it eats them up in turn 8 at Willow Springs. GT3 is out.

I can't really see a downside to the FGT, it's mod friendly, handles well and can be made to go really really fast.. and their still selling at the msrp five years later.
The ACR isn't in the cards dispite his awesome performance numbers. I spent less than an hour in one and couldn't wait to get out. It is flat hot inside despite air.
SLS, they called and will give me a factory delivery, wife really like SLS with factory delivery. "Isn't Stuttgurt near Paris" she says.
Going to check out a porsche tomorrow that was built for the track and street, it's 3.4 twin plug, slant nose, weighs about 2300 lbs.
If you know of a car that is fast and streetable let me know why I should buy it and I'll tell you why it's a pos.
It is officially cocktail hour and Jimmy is out.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:27 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by JJayB
Porsche should have built a light weight AWD with a PDK and the GT1 engine, then I'm a interested.

If you know of a car that is fast and streetable let me know why I should buy it and I'll tell you why it's a pos.
Here you go Jimmy, only the PDK missing but ticks every other box !
http://www.cargraphic.de/index.php?/...,article,5569/

Just a note on the FGT, I know they are rated over here in Europe also, a well built fast machine only problem is those doors.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:56 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,782 Likes on 1,706 Posts

Jimmy, I get your point better now. Tough to get unbiased opinions but I will keep my personal stuff out of this.

I understand your issues with the GT2 and can see why you've narrowed things down to the SLS and FGT. From what you've written, sounds to me like the SLS would be the winner in a close race:

FGT - Will likely keep its value, lots of potential, mod friendly, not a great interior, a bitch to get in and out of and hence a terrible DD IMO.

SLS - Excellent for track out of the box (good power and balance), wife approved! (besides the Euro delivery, women love three pointed stars, especially with them wings!!!), questionable value but likely will depreciate like a ****.

Probably the most sensible suggestion came from pstoppani: Buy a FGT and get it out of your system for a year or two. By then you'll probably be tired of DDing it. Then pick up an SLS after values have adjusted and take the wife to Paris on a shopping spree with the change.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:30 PM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TB993tt
Here you go Jimmy, only the PDK missing but ticks every other box !
http://www.cargraphic.de/index.php?/...,article,5569/

Just a note on the FGT, I know they are rated over here in Europe also, a well built fast machine only problem is those doors.
Toby,
Hummm, looks like RS tuning got their paws on this this GT2 and put a bunch of Cargraphic lettering on the car. I like yours with the Dymags better.

FGT was Evo car of the year in 05 and even got 5 stars. I wonder if they knew it was made in the USA.
Any FGT's show up for your air strip runs?

Quick Reply: OT: After 993 tt