Old 11-27-2009, 03:46 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by JJayB
I guess I could get a mullet and wear and wear a gold chain
ok. then you just 'MIGHT' fit.
two or three gold chains though. one aint gonna do it.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:55 PM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FWIW, I'd stay with the German technology.
Old 11-27-2009, 06:13 PM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

FGT ftw
Old 11-28-2009, 12:25 AM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ford GT for sure. I bet you'll see a lot more gold chain-ed drivers in an SLS. Every Ford GT owner I've met is "one of us"! I'd take one.

But, as someone else suggested, I take a GT2 over either one
Old 11-28-2009, 12:31 PM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pstoppani
Ford GT for sure. I bet you'll see a lot more gold chain-ed drivers in an SLS. Every Ford GT owner I've met is "one of us"! I'd take one.

But, as someone else suggested, I take a GT2 over either one
I apologize for the mullet gold chain remark, but it was done for humor sake as I believe the FGT has a timeless design. I believe they only produced 3K and they are holding thier value quite well. Bullet proof drive train and I haven't found one engine failure (Ok one guy blew it up turboed with 1300 hp.)

I've met two FGT owners who have or had 993tt modded and they all say the same thing, go for it. Downside, I found cases of overheating at track events. on warm days even with unmodded cars.

The SLS will most likely be over sold ( est 4000 @ yr) I'm convienced but it's spec's are an Amg clean sheet of paper with awsome capabilites. Tommy Kendall ran laps at 1:37 with passengers at Laguna Seca on Conti's with a 280 wear rating! Lately AMG's have taken a huge depreciaton wack but this might be different as it's not just a big engine in a sedan.

My goal is a drive to the track with 600+hp that can hang with the race cars and drive home.

For some that suggested a Gt2, it's not in the cards for the simple reason, 600hp rwd porsche inspite of electronic nanies, are a handfull. Walter Rohrl can make them go fast, but he has gonads the size of Godzilla. Jeremy Clarkson said it will KILL YOU maybe a little theather, but true.

So FWIW, it's pretty hard to find and replace a well modded 993tt.
Old 11-28-2009, 01:12 PM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Jeremy Clarkson said it will KILL YOU maybe a little theatre, but true.
It has to be said that Clarkson is not a 911 fan and also can't drive to save his life. You probably know that tb933tt has a 7 GT2 - he can offer some objective evidence as what one is like.
Old 11-28-2009, 01:36 PM
Al Pettee
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

As I have said in your other thread, 997GT2 (or 997GT2RS if they make it AND it comes to the USA), otherwise, I would buy another 993TT (or 993TTS) and modify again. After you drive any other car for a month or two, you WILL have seller's (of the 993TT) remorse.
Old 11-28-2009, 02:25 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The SLS will most likely be over sold ( est 4000 @ yr) I'm convienced but it's spec's are an Amg clean sheet of paper with awsome capabilites. Tommy Kendall ran laps at 1:37 with passengers at Laguna Seca on Conti's with a 280 wear rating! Lately AMG's have taken a huge depreciaton wack but this might be different as it's not just a big engine in a sedan.

My goal is a drive to the track with 600+hp that can hang with the race cars and drive home.
My suggestion is to get the GT, keep it for a couple of years and then get a garage queen SLS and with the money you saved by not paying for the depreciation (the GT won't depreciate much and the other buyer will pay for the first two years of the SLS for you), you probably can get another 993TT!

Also, I'd expect a 997 GT2 to be no more of a handful than the Ford GT. The 997 chassis is amazingly benign (you realize, in this forum, we will continue to swing you in the GT2 direction )
Old 11-28-2009, 11:57 PM
TurboLaal
Instructor

I say go for the FGT, it my next car I have my sights on
Old 11-29-2009, 02:16 AM
Bill S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Jim. How about a CGT? It's much lighter than the FGT and should have more performance potential than the FGT, especially with the inbound suspension, carbon tub and ceramic brakes. And better aero as well.

1. Raise kit for the street.
2. Slicks, exhaust, 9000 rpm redline, and cams for the track. One or two local guys seem to know how to do this for 650 HP+ normally aspirated! I think Porsche Motorsport may have something as well.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:57 AM
hiflexaust
Rennlist Member

JJ................come back.............you now you want to and yeah, you made a mistake......so what?.....we all do it from time to time. but come back now.................we want you back and they, (the followers of whatever else you may buy), wont appreciate you the way we do....................just come back now!
Old 11-29-2009, 12:42 PM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bill S.
Hey Jim. How about a CGT? It's much lighter than the FGT and should have more performance potential than the FGT, especially with the inbound suspension, carbon tub and ceramic brakes. And better aero as well.

1. Raise kit for the street.
2. Slicks, exhaust, 9000 rpm redline, and cams for the track. One or two local guys seem to know how to do this for 650 HP+ normally aspirated! I think Porsche Motorsport may have something as well.
Bill,
I've seriously looked at the CGT, and you've pointed out one of the major flawes and that one would need a kit to raise it as it won't make it over speed bumps. Secondly, despite porsche claims the clutch is clearly a weak link and would have to be upgraded to the 9ff version for any track duty. I spoke to one owner who's had to replace a transmission for $50k not covered by warrantee due to track use! I've had several track day encounters with the CGT more horsepower isn't necessary. Getting it not to bite your head off is a different matter. FWIW, at California Speed way, a FGT was the fastest street car running roval.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:56 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

just saw a Ford GT around town yesterday. It is truly a great looking car. Not to mention, even GT parts will seem cheap compared to some of the porsche stuff.

The aluminum 5.4 block is literally a work of art, and its only about $3k
Old 11-29-2009, 08:30 PM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hiflexaust
JJ................come back.............you now you want to and yeah, you made a mistake......so what?.....we all do it from time to time. but come back now.................we want you back and they, (the followers of whatever else you may buy), wont appreciate you the way we do....................just come back now!
I think it was the author Tom Wolfe said "you can't go back home". Well not for now.

The porsche factory did the 993tt a big favor, they raced it and that begot tons of race parts that none of the H2O porsche can claim. Ok I due miss....I can't go there.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:06 AM
Bill S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bill,
I've seriously looked at the CGT, and you've pointed out one of the major flawes and that one would need a kit to raise it as it won't make it over speed bumps. Secondly, despite porsche claims the clutch is clearly a weak link and would have to be upgraded to the 9ff version for any track duty. I spoke to one owner who's had to replace a transmission for $50k not covered by warrantee due to track use! I've had several track day encounters with the CGT more horsepower isn't necessary. Getting it not to bite your head off is a different matter. FWIW, at California Speed way, a FGT was the fastest street car running roval.
I agree that the CGT would not be as cost-effective as the FGT to track, but I think it has the potential to be much faster!

I've put over 7,000 street miles on my CGT. The front spoiler scrapes often (but is not damaged), but I haven't damaged anything else under the car except one time at high speed over a deep dip. I had to replace the two rear fins and the carbon underpans got a little scratched, but just in the clear coat. I haven't come across a speed bump I couldn't clear, but I do recall turning around for some really gross ones!

Quick Reply: OT: After 993 tt