Sponsored by:

993TT vs 355 Spider

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 03:57 PM
bkniep
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 993TT vs 355 Spider

I added a Ferrari 355 Spider to the 993TT in the garage over the summer and after a few months of driving both back to back, I think I'm starting to get a handle on the Ferrari. I know there are people in both camps that are passionate and insistent that one is better than the other, but each car has great strengths and a few weaknesses. Frankly, now that i am fortunate enough to drive both, I can't imagine why people dismiss either one. These are two of the most charismatic, exciting and wonderful cars ever produced. If you can have a matched set, take the plunge.

A few thoughts about the 2.

Appearance: I think each of these cars represents an apex of physical beauty for the marques. They are the last generation not designed in a windtunnel and thus have character and are not characterized by the "sameness" of design that takes over when the tunnel holds such sway. I can't pick a winner here. The Ferrari is better in profile, the 911's best angle is behind or rear 3/4s. I can't pick here. I do get more friendly comments about the Ferrari, but people seem to love both these cars and I never have gotten a nasty comment about either. Interestingly, my wife, who isn't much of a car person vastly prefers the Porsche, because the Ferrari is "too square"

Interior: Both are a little old school ergonomically. The Porsche comes from another era but is screwed together incredibly well. The Ferrari is showing more wear and tear in 19K miles than the Porsche in 45K. One doesn't buy either of these for the interiors. Edge nobody.

Sound: It's a little unfair because the Porsche has Fabspeed and the Ferrari has stock, but damn, they make two of the prettiest noises in the world of cars. The Porsche is gritty, mechanical and barks pretty fiercely. The Ferrari howls like a lost soul in the Inferno. They are both gloriously loud and extroverted. Maybe a slight edge to the Ferrari for making the hairs on my neck stand all the way on end.

Performance: In a straight line, the Turbo walks away from the Ferrari. Horsepower are similar, but the torque from the Turbos is just massive in the 911. In real world driving, the turbo feels much faster, lag is pretty minimal, but what lag there is is shown up by the Ferrari V8. You just need to rev the hell out of it to make it really go. I live in the city, and frankly, winding out a Ferrari to the redline is a good way to go to jail. The 911 can really fly with 3000 rpm, where the Ferrari doesn't even get close until 6000+. The Ferrari feels fast, the 911 still can run with most modern supercars. Edge 911

Handling: Steering is a tossup. Ferrari is a little light but communicates very well, Porsche communicates a little too much with every road imperfection jouncing the wheel. If you let the wheel slip in your hands, the Porsche tracks straight, but it is a little disconcerting. The Ferrari seems a little numb in comparison to the Porsche, but fell of feel compared to almost anything else. The Ferrari is more composed and neutral. The Porsche is intimidating until you get your head around the slow turn in, set the nose, freight train through the apex with unshakeable grip process of going fast. If you like em chuckable, the Ferrari is for you. Edge Ferrari

Fast Road Driving: I've had the 911 a lot longer and am used to the very specific driving style to get it to go well, but frankly, the Ferrari is much easier to drive quickly. It is so spectacularly neutral and very easy to take liberties in. The edge of grip is well defined and when it lets go, it is very neutral. The 911 is hard for me to drive quickly on the road because it's not always possible to brake in a straight line on a bendy country road and the push in the nose transitions pretty quickly to a squirmy rear if you are pressing on. Edge Ferrari

Track: I can't take the Ferrari on the track with its lack of rollover protection, but the 911, which makes me cautious on the road, is the greatest precision tool I've ever driven on a track. I might have just as much fun in the Ferrari, but I'd lap myself if I was in the Porsche. Edge Porsche by a wide margin. (I'm extrapolating here, but once you've driven a well set up 911 on a track, you're hooked forever)

Ownership Proposition. There is a lot of misinformation about how fragile 355s can become. However, if they do go wrong, the repair bills can be terrifying. Curiously, it seems like 993 TTs are now worth about 10-15% more than comparable 355s, perhaps because of the fears about maintenance costs. I've spent a few hundred dollars a year on basic maintenance each year + the usual expenses of tires/brakes/other consumables in the 911 and it has been flawless. Ferrari is too new to know much, but the costs will be significantly higher. I bought the Ferrari at an incredible price, so it may end up being the better deal long term. If you buy smart on either, they won't depreciate much further. Edge Porsche

Conclusions: These two cars represent, in my mind, the perfect moment in time for great drivers cars. They are both plenty fast enough. The performance is fully modern in ways that a 930 Turbo or a 328 or Testarossa are not. They have modern levels of grip and, in the Porsche's case, can run with the latest models on a track and not give up too much ground. While they have fully modern performance, they are also the last generation of cars not to have the electronics to help you drive the car. No flappy paddles, no manettinos, etc. They are both incredibly sexy to look at and fun to drive. I respect the Porsche a little more and smile a little more in the Ferrari. Cliche? I guess there's a reason.

Glad I have both.

Bill
Old 11-18-2009, 04:22 PM
TurboLaal
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice review, I have always considered a 355 but have been afraid of the repair bills that go along with it...maybe someday
Old 11-18-2009, 05:04 PM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 354 Likes on 187 Posts

Nice review, Bill. What a great pairing of cars to have! I haven't liked any Ferrari since the 355 as much as the 355 itself (did that make sense?) and have thought one would be a nice addition to my garage. I drooled over your example many times while it was here at Ruf.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:29 PM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Thats a really good insight, and unbiased opinion of both cars. Like most people, I think the Ferrari is an art peice, and that sound is incredible. Personally I don't think there's any comparision re the sound. The 355 would run rings around a TT. The turbo's just dull the sound too much.
I have hankered for years for a 348 or 355, but after discovering Ferrari Chat there's no way I would take the gamble owning a 348/355. It's like playing Russian roulette. Given my luck, I would lose. It's just to much money to maintain. The Porsche's are proven to be bullet proof. I like that a lot!
Awesome review Bill.
Cheers
Old 11-18-2009, 05:51 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 167 Posts

Where's the pics??
Old 11-18-2009, 06:29 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I still say "holy ****" when I find myself near a 355. And I love that V8 wail. But Rufus is a keeper.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:20 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 295 Likes on 197 Posts

Excellent article. My choice was between these 2 cars. I got the 993tt. Maybe I should do a comparison like this between my 993tt and 260Z!?
Old 11-18-2009, 08:34 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

very well written.....thx!
Old 11-19-2009, 11:23 AM
DivineE
Racer

Excellent review. Like others I think you are too generous to the Porsche on sound. The 355 is by far and a way my favourite sounding production car. My favourite sounding Ferrari too (bar the F40 which isn't a production car).

I must say though that whenever you drive a N/A car you do miss the 'Armageddon' type roar of infinite power that a Porsche turbo makes on boost and all the associated sucking, popping, chattering sounds that make you smile when your driving a turbo. Even in the 997 (the most sedate sounding Porsche turbo I've ever been in) you can't get away from that distinctive turbo noise set.

I think your being cruel to the turbo on looks too. The 993TT is just the most amazing set of curves on the planet 'in my opinion'
Old 11-19-2009, 12:10 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

I once went on a drive with a bunch of Lambos and Ferraris.
The sound of the 355 through the canyons above Santa Barbara will haunt me forever!
(And I was running with no CATS!)
Old 11-19-2009, 01:27 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Bill,

Excellant and insightful reviews. Did you do suspension work on the 993tt? If not, I would think the 355 would out-handle the 993tt stock-to-stock on tight twisties. And yeah, I agree that the Ferrari sound is to die for (well, not literally I hope).

In any case, you have a pair of incredible cars. Enjoy in great health.

CP
Old 11-19-2009, 02:15 PM
gandalfthegray.
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by DivineE
Excellent review. Like others I think you are too generous to the Porsche on sound. The 355 is by far and a way my favourite sounding production car.
I must agree. As the owner of a 360 Modena with test pipes (no smog in Minnesota )and a Tubi Competition exhaust I will say that the Ferrari's have a much nicer sound.

To be fair I have only been a 993 TT owner for little over a day now, and driven less than six miles. My car has the "RSR" muffler where it is a stock muffler modified and then welded back up. It is loud, but not as nice.

Great write-up!

Last edited by gandalfthegray.; 11-19-2009 at 02:21 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-19-2009, 02:15 PM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Back when I was in my first year out working as a full-fledged doctor, I remember being done with my night shift at 0700 and was walking to my satin black metallic 944T when this beautiful, yellow 355 spider showed up and parked right next to me. Wow, I'll never forget the slow-motion picture playing in my head when I remember. Very sexy car.....
Old 11-19-2009, 02:19 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 541 Likes on 408 Posts

great writeup. nice pair too. I like others considered the 355 as well. the reliability of the Pcar was the determining factor for me as well as my guess on future value (so far correct). when compared side by side, although I love the looks of the 993tt, the Ferrari looks like a Ferrari and the Porsche like a car.
for the record the CGT is my favorite sounding car.
and pics please?
Old 11-19-2009, 05:39 PM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by gandalfthegray.
To be fair I have only been a 993 TT owner for little over a day now, and driven less than six miles. My car has the "RSR" muffler where it is a stock muffler modified and then welded back up. It is loud, but not as nice.
tell us more about what you bought - are you in the Twin cities? while you're probably about to put it away, bring one or the other of those out to Cars & Cafe next spring

welcome and congrats on two great cars

Quick Reply: 993TT vs 355 Spider