Sponsored by:

New 993TT owner and my car already hates me

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 02:27 AM
Teza
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 993TT owner and my car already hates me

It is one full month to the day since I bought my 993TT. The first month has been fun. But today, my 1st month anniversary, my 993TT said "feed me". It strated to run terrible and would not idle. I was a few miles from home and tried to figure it out. It seemed like erratic gas/air metering. So I pulled the connector off the MAF and it ran ...almost..normal. I guess that it is "limo mode" or something when MAF connector is dis-connected.

It seems like I need a new MAF. Anybody have a adequate operating MAF spare available at a used price or even a spar brand new one? I would like to at least to double check if mine is toast before springing for a new one. Also, any suggestions for best price?

I should get used to "feeding" this beast $$$$ right?

TEZA in SLC, UT
Old 11-02-2009, 12:19 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Wouldn't idle or wouldn't run? I've never heard of a MAF completely failing so your problem might be unusual. If you can't find one closer to home, I have a used one you can borrow for the cost of shipping it. It works fine - I bought a new one chasing a little more power and basically wasted $350 or whatever I paid.

I don't find that I feed my car an unusual amount of money.

Greg H.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:49 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg H.
Wouldn't idle or wouldn't run? I've never heard of a MAF completely failing so your problem might be unusual. If you can't find one closer to home, I have a used one you can borrow for the cost of shipping it. It works fine - I bought a new one chasing a little more power and basically wasted $350 or whatever I paid.

I don't find that I feed my car an unusual amount of money.

Greg H.
same here!
Old 11-02-2009, 09:18 PM
Teza
Intermediate

Default MAF gone bad?

Greg H. Thanks so much. That is a great offer. I would like to take you up on it. My search on this forum seemed to indicate the the MAF performance gradually degrades. But this was an instant problem. I went around a corner and it started running badly and would not idle. Maybe something was ingested to affect the MAF performance?

I will take the MAF off to check it out first and then will contact you. My contact info is jrccalvin@msn.com Farmington, Utah
Old 11-02-2009, 09:38 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

my car likes to be fed "mods" and consumables like oil change and tires and brake pads, otherwise very reliable.
good luck
nice car
Old 11-02-2009, 10:53 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 558 Likes on 246 Posts

Could it just be gas? Bottle of Chevron Techron could do wonders...?
Old 11-02-2009, 11:06 PM
SA Mike
Thank You
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nurburger
Could it just be gas? Bottle of Chevron Techron could do wonders...?
+1 Back 2 or three months ago mine just didn't feel the same, it wasn't idling rough or any like that, just a little sluggish. Went from Shell to Chevron and it was almost night and day. I'll never put Shell in it again

Trending Topics

Old 11-03-2009, 01:18 AM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Same thing happened in my 996, a can of techron and chevron fuel did wonders.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:20 AM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

When mine started to play up I put in a new DME relay. that sorted mine out.
Re the "feeding you car $$$$", take a look at Ferrarichat if you think a MAF is feeding!
I would never buy a Ferrari after spending 20 seconds on that site!
Old 11-03-2009, 09:54 AM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

make sure your boost hoses are on tight at both ends. your failure sounds like how mine ran when one of them popped off at the intercooler end
Old 11-03-2009, 10:49 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Greg H asks a good question. What is the specific problem?

Won't idle?
Won't run under load?
Won't rev smoothly without load?
All of the above?
Old 11-03-2009, 10:54 AM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a boost leak. However MAF readings that are way off can cause this. You can buy the bosch part instead of the porsche one and save alot of $$$ on the MAF as well.

Good luck!
Old 11-03-2009, 11:46 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spartan
Sounds like a boost leak. However MAF readings that are way off can cause this. You can buy the bosch part instead of the porsche one and save alot of $$$ on the MAF as well.

Good luck!
+1
and the Porsche part is the Bosch part... so it's a win-win
Old 11-04-2009, 10:51 PM
Teza
Intermediate

Default 993TT still hating me

Thank you for your comments. Again to describe the problem. It was running great, did a few hard runs 1st to 2nd and to 3rd just to feel the accel rush. I went around a city block corner at moderate speed and the power just dropped off instanly and itthen ran erratically. Stopped and tried to accel the motor and as rpm dropped off it came down to idle and then would die every time. Tried this several times and then limped home about 2 miles. It could barely run and was blowing some very rich exhaust out the back.

Got home and looked around the engine compartment....nothing obvious. Pulled off the connector to the MAF and then it would idle...almost normal and and rev almost normal but zero boost on the bar gage.

Left it until the other day. Pulled off the MAF and looked at it. Nothing funny looking in there. Cleaned the idle control valve. ......Learned 1st lesson in Porsche DYI. Do not drop wrenches, sockets, bolts, washers while working on the engine as the chance of finding them again is slim......

Buttoned everything back up and fired it up with the MAF connector connected.

Started fine and almost seemed to idle normal but if you revd it quick it would come back down to idle then die. Drove it around the block and it was down on power, a little missing and zero boost on the boost gage. No seriously rich exhaust as the other day.

Drove home and disconnected the MAF connector. Now it idled more normal and when revd it did not die when coming down to idle. Drove around the block and it seemed the same, low on power, zero boost on the boost gage and no major rich exhaust smoke.

Techron will not solve this problem.By the way I always use Chevron and think it is the best for FI motors. I hope it is not the DME or ECU or whatever. I will take Greg's offer on trying another MAF. I like the idea (cheap) of the DME relay. WIll have to find out where that is I guess...one of the relays in the fuse box I hope.

I hope I better described the problem in hopes of finding a potential solution.

I took off the hose from the intercooler to get to the MAF and they were tight. I did not check the other end of the hose though.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:33 AM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Have you checked the intercooler hoses yet? Make sure they are both on. I lost power last summer driving down the road for no reason. It was an intercooler hose pipe.
Look carefully.

Quick Reply: New 993TT owner and my car already hates me