Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SCarGo...Thumbs up or Thumbs down.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 02:40 PM
Hwyranger
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default SCarGo...Thumbs up or Thumbs down.

Has anyone here received an engine build from SCarGo? Are they a good option for a solid 3.8L twin plug w/garrett turbos. It is my understanding that they go to Todd Knighton for tuning. Just wanting some feedback before I pull the trigger. Thanks

Enrique
Old 10-31-2009, 03:08 PM
Nollie
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Isn't this beauty built at -cargo? https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-take-2-a.html
Old 10-31-2009, 06:09 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

Enrique, it depends how old you are. If you are above 25, by the time it is done you might be too old to drive it.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:42 PM
Hwyranger
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You're not kidding either....I'm 31, so I guess that makes me too old. Apparently Pete's UMW 3.8L build took longer than expected as well. Are parts that difficult to obtain for these motors? Or is it the machine shops that take forever?
Old 10-31-2009, 09:06 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Pete's 3.8 isn't done yet I think? I thought he was using a loaner engine...
Old 10-31-2009, 09:35 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hwyranger
You're not kidding either....I'm 31, so I guess that makes me too old. Apparently Pete's UMW 3.8L build took longer than expected as well. Are parts that difficult to obtain for these motors? Or is it the machine shops that take forever?
Machine shops have been a big factor for me, that and the economy. Also, Kevin is doing several new things which mean first time custom work, which also depends on machine shops... It's been hard for me, but at least Kevin was able to hook me up with a loaner engine which is pretty sweet.

Basically, if you don't want to wait a long time, pick only well established "kits", and have it done by a place that cranks out engines for a living.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:19 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

The only thing I can advice to whoever is going this route is to set the terms in writing with their builder in advance, with respect to work involved in detail, deliverables, parts that will be used and time to be delivered with some leeway.

A complete build should not take more than 1 month if properly planned for parts ordering, availability, delivery etc... Give them 3 months and add expensive penalty clauses that you both agree to. Whoever has done builds like these before can do it in 2 weeks. Whoever has not done them before, don't be their guinea pig, unless you know it in advance and don't mind the extra time and money you will end up spending.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:25 AM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 121 Posts

Good choice for sure!

Delays is the project can be avoided if you know what you want and stick to the plan. Changes mid stream (esp. custom fab work) can really extent the time line due to scheduling conflicts.

They are known for some high quailty work. They do take longer then other shops though.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:29 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

if i were to do a 3.8L twin plug, i will be by andial. but they dont do those anymore.
buy porschemesiters GT2. then you have no worries.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:11 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jean
The only thing I can advice to whoever is going this route is to set the terms in writing with their builder in advance, with respect to work involved in detail, deliverables, parts that will be used and time to be delivered with some leeway.

A complete build should not take more than 1 month if properly planned for parts ordering, availability, delivery etc... Give them 3 months and add expensive penalty clauses that you both agree to. Whoever has done builds like these before can do it in 2 weeks. Whoever has not done them before, don't be their guinea pig, unless you know it in advance and don't mind the extra time and money you will end up spending.
+1
Now there's some solid advice!
Old 11-01-2009, 11:09 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jean
The only thing I can advice to whoever is going this route is to set the terms in writing with their builder in advance,

Give them 3 months and add expensive penalty clauses that you both agree to.

That's all fine and good, but,

if there is a penalty clause in the contract, to make things fair to builder there should also be a bonus clause to reward him for finishing ahead of schedule.

Phil
Old 11-01-2009, 11:30 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RollingArt
That's all fine and good, but,

if there is a penalty clause in the contract, to make things fair to builder there should also be a bonus clause to reward him for finishing ahead of schedule.

Phil
The bonus should be repeat business and word of mouth. No excuse for an engine builder to take my money and sit on it (for 7 months...).
Old 11-02-2009, 01:20 PM
vincentdds
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Jean 100%.
Choose a builder that have successfully built many 3.8L engines. A one "stop-shop" who does not farm out their works, especially "Tuning".
I have seen too many shops who likes to use you car and money for their own ambitious R&D that could take years and years which may never finished.

Quick Reply: SCarGo...Thumbs up or Thumbs down.