Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Con rod question

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 01:47 PM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 121 Posts

The stock rods are the same part number used in the 996tt & 997tt. Those guys have run some big power on the cars without a problem. That said I would still change them. I like the pauter rods.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:48 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by JBL930
Maybe i should have said "probably better"? If they are as good (strength wise) and you have the added benefit of them not interfering with the oil pump, and they are lighter, then surely that would qualify? I should be more careful what i say
No, you say what you think mate

Interesting....and thanks Kevin for the info.

I am interested as maybe a "slip fit" if I ever decide I "need" my 7 tweaking to 900NM......
I know RS use Carrillo still but it took a while before they accepted Carrillo did the job. I will ask them about the Arrow stuff at some stage.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:09 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

I have been thinking more about the Arrow rods...

Can Kevin/Jon point me to some more evidence that they work in high torque 993/6/7 turbo application ?
Who has been using them, which cars etc, any racing ?
TIA
Old 11-01-2009, 07:12 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally don't know of any Toby, but they supply to all aspects of motorsport from F1 to Moto GP. Have you heard something bad about them?
Old 11-02-2009, 05:12 AM
JamesE
Addict
Rennlist Member

RIP

I think any quality H section rod will be fine. I personally would avoid Ti, there are steel rods that are as light as their Ti counterparts, and being steel they are not life'd like the Ti rods.
Also, it is the rod bolts that are the week spot. Have been since day 1, all the way from the 930. Strangely Porsche decided to make the 996tt ones even weaker and are a full mm thinner than the 930 items. I think the recommendation with 930/965 was anything over 450bhp (well the torque equivalent) should have ARP or the like replacements.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:12 PM
V
Drifting

JBL 930, you told me that fitting Arrowhead rods is a good "while you are in there" precaution when replacing cams etc. Also with these rods there's no need to "split the case". Maybe a stupid question but does this "non-split-case" operation mean that the crankshaft will not be separated from the engine block during the process of replacing the cams? Reason for asking is because that would be a good time to get the whole crankshaft (with the new rods and everything) professionally balanced. It can make a small difference in acceleration but moreover the engine will rev quicker and higher if the balance is perfect.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:12 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

To get the crank out you would need to split the case.
My remarks about fitting rods while you are doing cams was down to there being reports about bent/stretched rods using the 520ps kit, which you were thinking of fitting. If you are having the cams installed then you have the engine out and the heads off, it's only a small step further to fit rods as long as they are simply bolt on. Carrillo's require the case to be split, the Arrow ones don't.
A stronger clutch seams to be the order of the day too...

If you want a higher revving engine then there is a lot more to it than just balancing the crank anyway, i'm no expert but everything from the valve train down needs to be modified. I guess it all depends on what you are aiming for.

What is the rev limit on the 520ps kit?
Old 11-03-2009, 11:21 AM
V
Drifting

Originally Posted by JBL930
To get the crank out you would need to split the case.
My remarks about fitting rods while you are doing cams was down to there being reports about bent/stretched rods using the 520ps kit, which you were thinking of fitting. If you are having the cams installed then you have the engine out and the heads off, it's only a small step further to fit rods as long as they are simply bolt on. Carrillo's require the case to be split, the Arrow ones don't.
A stronger clutch seams to be the order of the day too...

If you want a higher revving engine then there is a lot more to it than just balancing the crank anyway, i'm no expert but everything from the valve train down needs to be modified. I guess it all depends on what you are aiming for.

What is the rev limit on the 520ps kit?
Ok thanks, that's what I thought as well. As for the rev limit, I have no idea..
Old 11-04-2009, 03:59 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Rods are in, no issues

Quick Reply: Con rod question