Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Flywheel, Clutch Slave & Accumulator whilst doing rebuild ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 10:48 AM
Andrew 996TTS
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Flywheel, Clutch Slave & Accumulator whilst doing rebuild ?

My project car is getting an engine rebuild including rebuilt turbos, clutch, leads, rotor and cap, lambda sensors, pistons, brakes etc etc (only to stock HP at this stage) and has done 75,000 miles with a good maintenance history prior to the rebuild. The rebuild was required due to random event unrelated to maintenance history.

It was bought as a non runner with the expectation and budget that gearbox and engine would need to be rebuilt but I have since spoken to the previous owner after the car was purchased at auction who indicated that he was not aware of any problems with the clutch or the gearbox when he had the car.

Question is would you replace the flywheel, clutch slave & accumulator as preventative maintenance whilst doing the rebuild or am I getting carried away ?

Also on the gearbox front would you not bother with the rebuild as the last owner did not notice any problems (no real reason for him to lie) or is the consensus that at 75k it would be worthwhile to at least strip inspect and change the synchros whilst the gearbox is out of the car and easily accessible ?

I am trying not to blow my budget more than it already has been but at the same time dont want to run into problems 3- 6 months down the line and have to remove the engine/gearbox to deal with these items that could easily be dealt with now.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:56 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would definitely replace the clutch setup and recommend the lightweight flywheel. Very nice improvement, in my opinion.

Regarding the slave and accum, I would wait on those and replace if there is a problem. They can be replaced with engine/trans in.

I would also leave the transaxle as is unless there is a problem.
What year is it? The earlier boxes (pre-'97)had a weak spot that would develop a whine in first gear. Most leave this and live with it.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:22 AM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I recently had some transmission repairs and upgrades done to my car. I did the LWF and clutch while I was in there. As you likely know, replacing the clutch on these cars is an engine out procedure.

I recommend Kevin at Ultimate LWF and clutch package. All OEM stuff for about $2k.

Not sure about your other questions. But not many repair shops can crack the transmission cases, therefore the experts are expensive.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:42 AM
Andrew 996TTS
Intermediate

The car is a 96, but according to the last owner has no problems with first gear yet.

I have read up on the LWF package however as the car is going to be a daily driver then I want to stick with stock for the time being and I have already purchased a new stock clutch kit (sachs). Sounds like your both suggesting it would be worthwhile to change the flywheel so will probably get that done now.

My indy is able to do the gearbox if I go down that path and has told me the labour cost will not add much to my bill as he has to change the intermediate casing anyway, but the parts might add up.

Thanks for your replies so far.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:27 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

The mileage is right about when the slave and accumulator fail, so have it done as changing them with the engine in place is tough(I've done it twice).
Old 10-07-2009, 03:36 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 911/Q45
The mileage is right about when the slave and accumulator fail, so have it done as changing them with the engine in place is tough(I've done it twice).
or they may have been replaced prior.

Either way, he isn't doing DIY so the savings would be in future labor.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:05 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had my engine rebuilt, and on advice from UMW, I had the transmission rebuilt (it pretty much needed after tearing it apart so am glad I did it now rather than later). Did the clutch slave too and the car takes off from a stop much better/smoother. Mine was at 51K miles with about 20 track days.

Last edited by pstoppani; 10-07-2009 at 05:08 PM. Reason: add
Old 10-07-2009, 06:01 PM
Andrew 996TTS
Intermediate

Pete, what did you replace on the gearbox rebuild just the synchro's or did you do bearings and gears as well ?

Anyone got any idea of how many hours of labour it would take a good indy to change the slave cylinder and accumulator down the track with the engine/gearbox still in the car if I go that way compared to what it would take now with the engine out ?
Old 10-07-2009, 06:39 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Andrew 996TTS
Pete, what did you replace on the gearbox rebuild just the synchro's or did you do bearings and gears as well ?
The forks were toast so replaced. Also replaced the synchros, 5th gear, and the toothed ring on the side of the 1st (forget the name of it). That was what it needed. Since the new motor has 550+ HP we also did some upgrades to handle the extra power and track (ab)use
Old 10-08-2009, 12:22 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts

as for the accumulator and slave, moreso the slave, check the small reservoir in the trunk looking for green sticky fluid that has been pushed out of the reservoir -- its common to see this fluid make its way down to the spare tire.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:46 AM
Andrew 996TTS
Intermediate

Thanks Chris will do.

Quick Reply: New Flywheel, Clutch Slave & Accumulator whilst doing rebuild ?