Sponsored by:

dealer sold me salvaged Turbo no disclosure

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 12:47 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC123
I have heard several people that have owned his 959 conversions or people that had customers/friends with his 959 conversions complaining that they are real crap.
Spencer, then this begs the question "why did you buy from Canepa in the first place"? Where were all of these "friends" and "customers" when you were shopping for a 993 Turbo?

I'll give you the benefit of doubt, that maybe you learned all of this after your sale.

You MUST do your due diligence and networking before the sales process, not after. This is a lesson I am pretty sure you have now learned.

Again, congrats on your new Turbo! Enjoy.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:32 PM
Jeremy Cottrell
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, what a story. I was at the Monterey Historics this year and was very impressed by Canepa's pit and selection of racecars. I thought they were really a class act. Wow, it's a shame.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:33 AM
fishing
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, interesting post. Glad to hear you eventually ended up with a car you like!
Old 01-03-2010, 12:09 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
I'll give you the benefit of doubt, that maybe you learned all of this after your sale.

You MUST do your due diligence and networking before the sales process, not after. This is a lesson I am pretty sure you have now learned.

bro, its good thing you're here to teach NYC all your pearls of wisdom.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:52 AM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Default On Craigslist

Originally Posted by Receiver
These dealers need to realize that the 993TT community is quite small and word travels really fast.
http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/ctd/1539142309.html
Old 01-06-2010, 07:01 AM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 778 Likes on 360 Posts

I'd like to know what you folks think this storied car is worth?
Old 01-06-2010, 10:07 AM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Jamie140
I'd like to know what you folks think this storied car is worth?
i believe that the car, when it was taken into a shop to be inspected, turned up that there were MANY areas not correct. so its not that it was just storied, whacked and fixed perfect. but whacked and then done less than perfectly.

jamie, knowing your attention to detail and focus on quality, i'd pass in total.
there are many, many good 993 Turbos out there that maybe cost you a few duckets more, but you'll get those back on resale and all the while you dont own a storied car.

at 30, 35 grand, id be interested. might be worth more, but that would be my tickler.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:45 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well, this time we have more info but still no mention of salvage title. I'd guess that will come up at some point this time... hopefully before the sale
-----------------------------------------

Shortly after the first owner (a wealthy Virginia attorney) took delivery the car was involved in an accident. There was damage to the top of the two front fenders and right rear quarter panel. He could not agree with the insurance company on how the car was to be repaired. The fenders could have easily been metal finished but he insisted that they be replaced. In the end he accepted a cash settlement from the insurance company.

The car was sold to its second owner who sent it to one of the Northeast’s most reputable restoration companies for the repair work. With over 30 years of experience restoring Porsches and other high-end collectable cars, the 993 was in excellent hands.

The shop owner has confirmed that the car suffered minor to moderate damage (no structural damage) in the accident and that the damage was easily repairable (photographs are available upon request). The bodywork was done to a very high standard and the paint was perfectly matched and applied to a concours standard. The original under hood paper sticker and door jam stickers are still on the car illustrating just how minimal the repairs were. When finished the shop owner said it was in “absolutely perfect shape”.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:25 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 778 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by spg993tt
i believe that the car, when it was taken into a shop to be inspected, turned up that there were MANY areas not correct. so its not that it was just storied, whacked and fixed perfect. but whacked and then done less than perfectly.

jamie, knowing your attention to detail and focus on quality, i'd pass in total.
there are many, many good 993 Turbos out there that maybe cost you a few duckets more, but you'll get those back on resale and all the while you dont own a storied car.

at 30, 35 grand, id be interested. might be worth more, but that would be my tickler.
Thanks man. Ask Spencer to tell you the saga of my not quite F40.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:03 PM
NYC123
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 993 tt

The ad is still not 100% accurate on the Turbo. but he is getting closer. At this rate maybe by the year 2025 the Ad will say Salvaged but nicely repaired 993 Turbo, $40,000.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:09 AM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkD
well, this time we have more info but still no mention of salvage title. I'd guess that will come up at some point this time... hopefully before the sale
Shortly after the first owner (a wealthy Virginia attorney) took delivery the car was involved in an accident. There was damage to the top of the two front fenders and right rear quarter panel. He could not agree with the insurance company on how the car was to be repaired. The fenders could have easily been metal finished but he insisted that they be replaced. In the end he accepted a cash settlement from the insurance company.

The car was sold to its second owner who sent it to one of the Northeast’s most reputable restoration companies for the repair work. With over 30 years of experience restoring Porsches and other high-end collectable cars, the 993 was in excellent hands.

The shop owner has confirmed that the car suffered minor to moderate damage (no structural damage) in the accident and that the damage was easily repairable (photographs are available upon request). The bodywork was done to a very high standard and the paint was perfectly matched and applied to a concours standard. The original under hood paper sticker and door jam stickers are still on the car illustrating just how minimal the repairs were. When finished the shop owner said it was in “absolutely perfect shape”.
-----------------------------------------
When an explanation is that long, something's fishy.
"car's a salvage title, but is 100% in quality, and we welcome any inspection" That should do it. If a buyer is serious, they can tell more.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:03 PM
BDHo
Instructor

what was the shop that did the "perfect fix" ?
Old 01-24-2010, 03:44 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 1996 Porsche 993 Turbo - Only 2765 Miles - $79500 (scotts valley)

It's back on Craigslist with this description ... http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/ctd/1564188856.html

Recently new Michelin Pilot Sport tires were installed and a full service performed. This car is absolutely stunning and is cosmetically and mechanically like NEW. Bruce Canepa has personally driven the car and says it is “fabulous”!
Old 01-24-2010, 12:52 PM
BlueRiver86
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LOL... Because the alternative is "Bruce Canepa has personally driven this car and it drives like ****."
Old 01-24-2010, 12:52 PM
SPD YLO
Instructor

With less than 2800 miles, you'd think the driver's seat would look just like the passenger's.

Quick Reply: dealer sold me salvaged Turbo no disclosure