Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a 993 Turbo (Need Some Advices)

Old 08-10-2009, 01:19 AM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by 96PorscheTwinTurbo
New to this site as a new 993 Turbo owner also. Wish I has some of the info and recommendations from all of you before I bought my car but I think I lucked out. Got a great 30k mile california car in great shape. White with blue interior. LOVE driving it. As an former corvette owner this is quite a change....can't believe I waited this long.
Welcome and post pics when you can. It's mandatory! Love the 993tt in white.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:19 AM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

New to this site as a new 993 Turbo owner also. Wish I has some of the info and recommendations from all of you before I bought my car but I think I lucked out. Got a great 30k mile california car in great shape. White with blue interior. LOVE driving it. As an former corvette owner this is quite a change....can't believe I waited this long.
What part of Milwaukee do u live in?
Old 08-10-2009, 07:29 PM
96PorscheTwinTurbo
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Downtown, Parnelli. Are you in the area? Love living downtown but not exactly the best place to get beyond 2nd gear.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:31 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO There is nothing wrong with buying a modded car if the mods were done correctly and they are mods you want and were going to do anyways...you will save signifcant money doing this but you need to be wary of what exactly you're buying. This car seems like a lot of mods thrown together without full thought, and the fact the lister is not clear or not correct in some of his descriptions etc, would worry me.

My $0.02.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:44 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Downtown, Parnelli. Are you in the area? Love living downtown but not exactly the best place to get beyond 2nd gear.

I'm now on the East Side. I lived downtown in Yankee Hill for 11 years. Loved it....was able to walk to work and spent WAY to much time on Jefferson Street Moved a few years ago once I got married and had kids. Do u get your car serviced at Concours Motors?
Old 08-11-2009, 01:17 PM
96PorscheTwinTurbo
Racer

Originally Posted by Parnelli
I'm now on the East Side. I lived downtown in Yankee Hill for 11 years. Loved it....was able to walk to work and spent WAY to much time on Jefferson Street Moved a few years ago once I got married and had kids. Do u get your car serviced at Concours Motors?
Yup, once we get tired of not having a yard, we'll definitely go to the east side or near-east side. In a loft now but fortunate to have parking for three cars indoors...a rare thing downtown.

Actually I'm looking for service recommendations. Just got the car in July. Had some minor leaks checked out at Bennett Coachworks...great guys and just a few blocks from my house. Was wondering about Concours though for annual maintenance....I like keeping the service records up to date. Would you recommend them?
Old 08-11-2009, 10:34 PM
96PorscheTwinTurbo
Racer

Originally Posted by bbs993tt
Welcome and post pics when you can. It's mandatory! Love the 993tt in white.
Thanks Brian. for some reason the profile pic that I tried to load won't work. Keep getting an "upload of pic failed" Message. The pic appears to be within the limits required. Don't have many pics yet but here are a few.

Last edited by 96PorscheTwinTurbo; 11-03-2013 at 09:43 AM.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:34 PM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 177 Posts

WOW! That red intercooler is awesome with the mesh deleted from the grille too? Did you do that or did the previous owner? Congrats again on a beautiful car.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:32 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Yup, once we get tired of not having a yard, we'll definitely go to the east side or near-east side. In a loft now but fortunate to have parking for three cars indoors...a rare thing downtown.

Actually I'm looking for service recommendations. Just got the car in July. Had some minor leaks checked out at Bennett Coachworks...great guys and just a few blocks from my house. Was wondering about Concours though for annual maintenance....I like keeping the service records up to date. Would you recommend them?
Concours does a decent job but like most dealers they are WAY overpriced. You have to stay on those guys or you'll get overcharged IMO. I just don't know who else to go to in this area.
Where do you work downtown?
Old 08-12-2009, 11:50 PM
96PorscheTwinTurbo
Racer

Originally Posted by bbs993tt
WOW! That red intercooler is awesome with the mesh deleted from the grille too? Did you do that or did the previous owner? Congrats again on a beautiful car.
Thanks Brian, The previous owner gets the credit for the intercooler paint job. He purchased the car from Resnak Porsche in Pasadena. Apparently there was a guy at another Porsche dealership nearby that did this work on the side. Its very well done and, I agree, really is a nice touch. They also removed the black inner panel on the underside of the deck lid which allows the red intercooler to be seen better with the deck lid closed.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:06 PM
Dynamicac
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Porsche 996 Engine rebuild

I know Manhattan Motorsports, Got ripped off having my 911 engine rebuilt by Bobby Singh at Manhattan Motorsports, he started the job on East 84th street then moved to Roslyn where he had the car for almost a year. Now 1500 miles later smoke and oil coming out of exhaust. Before that pinging and limp mode. The only good experience I had was when Bobby tinted the windows in my Rolls while working for Manhattan Motorcars in NY, at least that lasted.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:51 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dynamicac
I know Manhattan Motorsports, Got ripped off having my 911 engine rebuilt by Bobby Singh at Manhattan Motorsports, he started the job on East 84th street then moved to Roslyn where he had the car for almost a year. Now 1500 miles later smoke and oil coming out of exhaust. Before that pinging and limp mode. The only good experience I had was when Bobby tinted the windows in my Rolls while working for Manhattan Motorcars in NY, at least that lasted.
If you're going to bump a 2.5 year old thread about your issues with your 996 engine rebuild at Manhattan Motorcars in the 993 section, me thinks you should post in the 996 sections as well for the benefit of our fellow 996 RListers...
Old 02-09-2012, 05:41 PM
Dynamicac
3rd Gear

Default Reply

Thank you, I will.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:58 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Bobby has done a lot of work for me on my 997tt and 930, he does very good work. Not sure what happened in your case.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:05 AM
Dynamicac
3rd Gear

Default What happened??

What happened you ask?, Had my 911 towed into his shop needing a starter
and battery, was up-sold an engine rebuild 3.8 update, after about a year
never got it right, pinging, limp mode and after spending $45K, 1500 miles
later oil coming out of exhaust pipe. But I am glad your experience was better.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buying a 993 Turbo (Need Some Advices)