Sponsored by:

Short Shift Negative Experience

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 04:39 PM
shawsan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Short Shift Negative Experience

I’ve always enjoyed installing aftermarket short shifts on my cars – shorter throws, more precise click-click of the shifter. And so, I was disappointed that no aftermarket short shift was available for the 993TT. Nevertheless, I participated in many speculative discussions about what might work and how. What emerged was the reality that some 993TT owners had installed the aftermarket short shift for the 993 (non-turbo models) by FVD. Suppliers of the FVD short shift explicitly states “not for turbo, transmission tunnel must be dimpled”. So, I decided to buy and asked Weissach to do the installation for me at the same time they installed a PSS10 suspension. It’s now installed and my impressions are NEGATIVE as follows;

1) A reduction in the “shift throw” is disappointing, maybe 25% versus 40-50% on other short shift kits I’ve had installed. And there’s no click-click precision of shifting. One has to focus on the shift to really discern it’s a shorter throw at all. Verdict: completely unimpressive.

2) Installation was a pain. Forget the dimpling BS. A hole has to be cut in the transmission tunnel cover because the bottom of the shift gear extends a full inch below the cover. Also the torque (something) has to be shaved to make fully adequate space and prevent possible rattling. And, with the short shift extending through the transmission tunnel, only inches from the road, its vulnerable to being scraped or ripped off. So a metal box had to be fabricated to cover it. With the PSS10 suspension set at mid-level, lowering the car to approximately Euro specs, the metal box covering the shifter is less than 3 inches clearance. While Weissach did a great job of accommodating my request to “just do it”, they worried I wouldn’t clear speedbumps. Well, correct. I clear 4 of six speedbumps I found in the vicinity, scraped on 1, and couldn’t clear one at all. And if I ever do rip it off, there go my gears with likely transmission damage as well. This adds up to a lot of anxious driving and the inner certainty that somehow, somewhere the box will get ripped off. Verdict: a pain in the butt.

3) The FVD short shift cost about $175US. Installation took more than 4 hours. And sending the underpanel to a body shop to design and weld a metal cover box cost another $400. Nearly a grand!

4) An option I have is to elevate the car using a higher adjustment on the PSS10 suspension. With an adjustable lowering range from maximum high to maximum low of about 1.4 inches, I’ve now used .8 inches, meaning I could crank the car up .8 inches higher and I’d clear things. But then I’d be floating around Cadillac style, completely eliminating the joys of firmer PSS10 settings, unless I lower again for a designated track event. Or I could just dismantle the short shift, return to stock, admit defeat, enjoy the full range of the PSS10.
Verdict: dismantle.

Overall loss ($1,000 to install this past Friday) + ($400 to dismantle this coming week) = $1,400 goodbye.

Any views, suggestions.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:33 PM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I have read lots of comments about Short shifters, and they seem 50/50. I looked into it recently but decided to just keep her stock in that area.
My option would be to take out the SS and just enjoy the cars new suspension.
These are great cars, even without the click click when shifting
$1400 would have made some nice exhaust mods too.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:11 PM
ELPORSCHA
Racer

I was thinking of ordering short shift lever like the one at Carnewal (at 50 Euro thats about $70 bucks)!

http://www.carnewal-europe.com/main.htm.

Would I be looking at similar disappointment/experience as you had with the FVD!
Old 04-11-2009, 07:34 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

A few things. First, who ever set you expections for a 40% reduction in throw were way off. It is 20-25%. Second, after installing maybe 100 of these myself I can tell you that the dimpling is the easiest thing to do, takes little time, and if done properly looks just fine. I have NEVER had to build a box or anything. I tend to try and not screw my customers with doing unnecessary work. And 4 hours... That is nuts. On a turbo it takes me maybe 45 minutes and that includes dimpling the tunnel cover and repainting it on the inside and outside. And nothing has to be done to the torque tube. I have never installed the FVD (I assume a direct copy of the RS just like B&M), as the RS is just fine and does great. I have installed on some LOW cars (including mine with Motons) and tunnel cover may have scraped, but that is what it is there for...
Old 04-11-2009, 07:35 PM
sfbanchs
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

your story is almost identical to mine and i used the ss kit from fvd as well. The biggest problem i had with the fvd ss kit was that half the time i could not get the car in reverse, real pita. I reverted back to stock and considered it a sunk cost. I never looked back besides Stock isnt so bad.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:11 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shawsan
Overall loss ($1,000 to install this past Friday) + ($400 to dismantle this coming week) = $1,400 goodbye.

Any views, suggestions.
OR, you could just go the next step, make the car two-wheel drive, and not have the s.s. issues...
Old 04-11-2009, 09:14 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

My RS part has been in for 8 years and 65K miles with the car at ROW height. Installed and dimpled it myself with very little trouble. It's no Hurst unit, but I thought the improvement was worthwhile.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:06 PM
Al Pettee
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

I had my dealer's service mechanic install my SS kit from FVD, he dimpled the tunnel and charged an hour of work for it. Combined with Carnewal's CF pieces, including for the stick, plus the modification of the factory phone console to cradle my Blackberry, it came out great-no less notchy than stock and reverse is not a problem. Then with Protosport's excellent power upgrade, the car is perfect:
Attached Images  
Old 04-12-2009, 12:19 AM
shawsan
Instructor

Thanks for your feedback thus far. As I'm still digesting replies, I'll only respond to Viper Bob's querry regarding my expectation the short shifter would produce a more signifcant reduction in the throw than 20-25%. First, let me say I confess to not knowing what the 'rule of thumb' is regarding average or expected 'reduced throws' associated with short shifters on porsches, let alone a specific model like my 993TT. But I had expected more than 20-25%. For example, Rennlist-One talks about a 35% reduction in the throw on their short shifter for a 996. I believe Ruf claims up to a 50% reduction on their short shift for a 996 turbo, and I'm definitely impressed and grateful for the reduced throw of the Ruf short shift on my 996 Ruf R turbo. Nevertheless, I think Viper Bob is suggesting a rule of thumb of 20-25%, and given that his experience daunts mine, I think it would be wise to heed this parameter.
Old 04-12-2009, 01:35 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

If you're looking for a little more solid feel to the shifter (rather than shorter throw), you can accomplish this with RS motor mounts and stiffening of the rear rubber shift linkage using extra washers (or the solid rs linkage).
I've done this to my car and I think it's helped.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:21 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If what you are really looking for is that "snik-snik" of a precise shifting shifter then you need to add RS or Wevo motormounts along with an RS or Goldenrod shift tube The RS shifter (which reduces the throw by 25% and is similar to the FVD shifter) also helps but as you've found out, the compromise with reduced ground clearance needs to be factored it..
Old 04-12-2009, 11:47 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Shawsan - The later model water cooled cars shifter-wise are TOTALLY different. Yes with some of the kits a 40%+ reduction in throw is possible. Due to the technology and geometry of the 993/964, the 20-25% is it.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:07 PM
Owzer
Instructor

I’ve always enjoyed installing aftermarket short shifts on my cars – shorter throws, more precise click-click of the shifter. And so, I was disappointed that no aftermarket short shift was available for the 993TT. Nevertheless, I participated in many speculative discussions about what might work and how. What emerged was the reality that some 993TT owners had installed the aftermarket short shift for the 993 (non-turbo models) by FVD. Suppliers of the FVD short shift explicitly states “not for turbo, transmission tunnel must be dimpled”. So, I decided to buy and asked Weissach to do the installation for me at the same time they installed a PSS10 suspension. It’s now installed and my impressions are NEGATIVE as follows;

1) A reduction in the “shift throw” is disappointing, maybe 25% versus 40-50% on other short shift kits I’ve had installed. And there’s no click-click precision of shifting. One has to focus on the shift to really discern it’s a shorter throw at all. Verdict: completely unimpressive.

2) Installation was a pain. Forget the dimpling BS. A hole has to be cut in the transmission tunnel cover because the bottom of the shift gear extends a full inch below the cover. Also the torque (something) has to be shaved to make fully adequate space and prevent possible rattling. And, with the short shift extending through the transmission tunnel, only inches from the road, its vulnerable to being scraped or ripped off. So a metal box had to be fabricated to cover it. With the PSS10 suspension set at mid-level, lowering the car to approximately Euro specs, the metal box covering the shifter is less than 3 inches clearance. While Weissach did a great job of accommodating my request to “just do it”, they worried I wouldn’t clear speedbumps. Well, correct. I clear 4 of six speedbumps I found in the vicinity, scraped on 1, and couldn’t clear one at all. And if I ever do rip it off, there go my gears with likely transmission damage as well. This adds up to a lot of anxious driving and the inner certainty that somehow, somewhere the box will get ripped off. Verdict: a pain in the butt.

3) The FVD short shift cost about $175US. Installation took more than 4 hours. And sending the underpanel to a body shop to design and weld a metal cover box cost another $400. Nearly a grand!

4) An option I have is to elevate the car using a higher adjustment on the PSS10 suspension. With an adjustable lowering range from maximum high to maximum low of about 1.4 inches, I’ve now used .8 inches, meaning I could crank the car up .8 inches higher and I’d clear things. But then I’d be floating around Cadillac style, completely eliminating the joys of firmer PSS10 settings, unless I lower again for a designated track event. Or I could just dismantle the short shift, return to stock, admit defeat, enjoy the full range of the PSS10.
Verdict: dismantle.

Any views, suggestions.
Originally Posted by viperbob
A few things. First, who ever set you expections for a 40% reduction in throw were way off. It is 20-25%. Second, after installing maybe 100 of these myself I can tell you that the dimpling is the easiest thing to do, takes little time, and if done properly looks just fine. I have NEVER had to build a box or anything. I tend to try and not screw my customers with doing unnecessary work. And 4 hours... That is nuts. On a turbo it takes me maybe 45 minutes and that includes dimpling the tunnel cover and repainting it on the inside and outside. And nothing has to be done to the torque tube. I have never installed the FVD (I assume a direct copy of the RS just like B&M), as the RS is just fine and does great. I have installed on some LOW cars (including mine with Motons) and tunnel cover may have scraped, but that is what it is there for...
You are assuming that the shop in question is trying to avoid unnecessary work...
Old 04-12-2009, 12:23 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

No assumptions. Just fact. Done this many times. It does not take that amount of time unless 1) the shop is completely inept / never done it before and are learning on customers dime 2) They just like to run up the clock with a simple task.
Old 04-12-2009, 01:47 PM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for your feedback thus far. As I'm still digesting replies, I'll only respond to Viper Bob's querry regarding my expectation the short shifter would produce a more signifcant reduction in the throw than 20-25%. First, let me say I confess to not knowing what the 'rule of thumb' is regarding average or expected 'reduced throws' associated with short shifters on porsches, let alone a specific model like my 993TT. But I had expected more than 20-25%. For example, Rennlist-One talks about a 35% reduction in the throw on their short shifter for a 996. I believe Ruf claims up to a 50% reduction on their short shift for a 996 turbo, and I'm definitely impressed and grateful for the reduced throw of the Ruf short shift on my 996 Ruf R turbo. Nevertheless, I think Viper Bob is suggesting a rule of thumb of 20-25%, and given that his experience daunts mine, I think it would be wise to heed this parameter.
For what it's worth FVD quotes a 40% reduction on their web site...

Quick Reply: Short Shift Negative Experience