Messy down under -- engine drop DIY? -- Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 04:30 PM
GRUWEZ
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Messy down under -- engine drop DIY? -- Pictures

Guys,

I am currently working on the suspension and brakes of my 1997 993 TT. With the car on a hoist I can finally thoroughly inspect the car properly from underneath. Here is what I can see:

Oil on driver's side heat exchanger and dirty turbocharger

Oil on passenger's side turbocharger:

So what am I looking at? Leaking valve covers? Failing turbochargers? I understand diagnosis based solely on these pictures is not easy, but any insight is more than welcome.

Given the fact that I want to clean up the entire engine and of course replace/repair whatever needs replacing/repairing, I was thinking about a DIY engine drop. I have a car hoist in my workshop which will definitely help.

Is there somewhere a pictorial DIY on how to drop the engine/transmission assembly on a 993 TT? I have read through the engine drop procedure in the factory shop manual, and it does not seem to be too complicated. Any additional information in the shape of a Rennlist DIY would definitely help of course.

Thanks in advance for the tips.
Regards,
Rik Gruwez
Old 03-17-2009, 05:44 PM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I know how you are feeling about the leaks. Mine don't look quite as bad.
Go to the DIY section on the Rennlist main page. Scroll down to the 993 section and in there is a thread on dropping the engine.
Cheers, and may the force be with you.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:52 AM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like the standard small oil filter check valve mess on the driver's side and the standard spilled while filling mess on the passenger side. Cam covers look fairly dry, I'd spray it off with brake cleaner and look for any fresh leaks before I tackled the big engine drop.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:44 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Definitely looks like a leak from above -- oil on all the cold parts but burned off the hot side parts.

If you try to clean it yourself, just wear breathing protection -- that's nasty stuff especially once it's dissolved by dry cleaning chemicals.

If anything, I'd look at the rust you've got on some of the fasteners and worry about that as more of a threat than the oil mess.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:13 AM
GRUWEZ
Racer

Originally Posted by 993MAN
I know how you are feeling about the leaks. Mine don't look quite as bad.
Go to the DIY section on the Rennlist main page. Scroll down to the 993 section and in there is a thread on dropping the engine.
Cheers, and may the force be with you.
Thanks for the link to the engine drop DIY. That is exactly what I was looking for!

Originally Posted by 911/Q45
Looks like the standard small oil filter check valve mess on the driver's side and the standard spilled while filling mess on the passenger side. Cam covers look fairly dry, I'd spray it off with brake cleaner and look for any fresh leaks before I tackled the big engine drop.
OK, will do that. As I understand it from other postings, I absolutely need to install genuine Porsche filters and not any other brand.

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Definitely looks like a leak from above -- oil on all the cold parts but burned off the hot side parts.

If you try to clean it yourself, just wear breathing protection -- that's nasty stuff especially once it's dissolved by dry cleaning chemicals.

If anything, I'd look at the rust you've got on some of the fasteners and worry about that as more of a threat than the oil mess.
I suppose you are referring to the almost-gone fasteners that hold the exhaust flange to the turbo? Yes, those will definitely be replaced. Thanks for reminding of those. ;-)

Regards,
Rik Gruwez
Old 03-18-2009, 03:47 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GRUWEZ
Thanks for the link to the engine drop DIY. That is exactly what I was looking for!

OK, will do that. As I understand it from other postings, I absolutely need to install genuine Porsche filters and not any other brand.

I suppose you are referring to the almost-gone fasteners that hold the exhaust flange to the turbo? Yes, those will definitely be replaced. Thanks for reminding of those. ;-)

Regards,
Rik Gruwez
Those seem to rust no matter what -- apparently just from the extreme heat ... and just plain "existing" for over ten years in a hostile environment. I was also looking at the subframe to the chassis and other hardware (valve cover fasteners, etc.) This might suggest you look for other surface corrosion issues (distributor, etc.)
Old 03-18-2009, 08:41 AM
GRUWEZ
Racer

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Those seem to rust no matter what -- apparently just from the extreme heat ... and just plain "existing" for over ten years in a hostile environment. I was also looking at the subframe to the chassis and other hardware (valve cover fasteners, etc.) This might suggest you look for other surface corrosion issues (distributor, etc.)
Thanks, will do that. As to the corrosion, that's just what you get when using the car for 12 years during Belgian winters. Road salt is a necessary evil over here.

Quick Reply: Messy down under -- engine drop DIY? -- Pictures